Charter Spectrum Could Lose ESPN, ABC

RiverDog

Reaction score
I'm not sure which forum to post this in as it applies to college, NFL, and Seahawk fans alike. But I just saw where Charter Spectrum, which is my TV provider, could lose ESPN and ABC tonight as their contract runs out and there has been no agreement on a new one:

Last night, Spectrum started to warn customers that they could lose Disney owned channels, including ESPN, FX, Freeform, Natgeo, Disney Channel, Baby TV, and more. Spectrum could also lose Disney owned locals, including ABC7 Chicago, ABC7 Los Angeles, ABC7 New York, ABC7 San Francisco, ABC11 Raleigh-Durham, ABC13 Houston, ABC30 Fresno.

The deadline, according to a report on Reddit, is 5 pm Eastern today, August 31st, 2023. This comes as College Football Week One gets underway tonight on ESPN.

Spectrum says: “The rising cost of programming is the single greatest factor in higher cable TV prices, and we are fighting hard to hold the line on programming rates imposed on us by companies like Disney.” Now the question is how hard will they fight with college football starting tonight.

Disney released their own message about the possible blackout saying “We’re working hard to make sure some of America’s most watched networks such as the ESPN networks, including the ACC Network and SEC Network, the Disney-branded channels, Freeform, the FX networks and the National Geographic channels stay available to Spectrum TV customers. If we don’t reach a new agreement with Spectrum soon, some of your favorite shows may be gone from your lineup including SportsCenter and exclusive live sports such as Monday Night Football and college football plus Mickey Mouse Funhouse, 31 Nights of Halloween, American Horror Story, Welcome to Wrexham, Life Below Zero and much more.”

Here are all the channels that could go dark on Spectrum cable TV today:

ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network,
FX, FX Movie Channel, FXX, Freeform, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo,
Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Baby TV

https://cordcuttersnews.com/spectrum-ca ... ll-starts/

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Both my TV and my ISP is Charter Spectrum, but I doubt that I'll be affected as I am an ESPN+ subscriber and I get a nice, clear OTA signal from our ABC affiliate. But there are going to be some people that will be in for a rude surprise tomorrow morning when they tune into CFB and see a black hole.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
My mom died in 2020, but I'm still in contact with her best friend Leslie, who lives in Maine. Leslie was recently very happy to tell me that she had finally managed to find other ways to watch everything she wants to watch (and another provider of an internet connection), so she could get the company she calls "Rectum" completely out of her life.

Chapow

Reaction score
Never heard of Charter Spectrum before, but these types of things aren't uncommon and usually get worked out pretty quickly.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Never heard of Charter Spectrum before, but these types of things aren't uncommon and usually get worked out pretty quickly.
Charter Spectrum is the 2nd largest cable provider in the country behind only Comcast. They have 16 million subscribers. We ditched our Dish Network satellite and went with Charter when we wanted to get Root Sports so we could watch Mariners games. Later, I signed up with them as our ISP as they had the fastest internet speed available.

I share my username/password with my daughter, so they get all the programming for free and I'm reluctant to change because of that, but I know that there's better deals out there.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I'm not sure which forum to post this in as it applies to college, NFL, and Seahawk fans alike. But I just saw where Charter Spectrum, which is my TV provider, could lose ESPN and ABC tonight as their contract runs out and there has been no agreement on a new one:

Last night, Spectrum started to warn customers that they could lose Disney owned channels, including ESPN, FX, Freeform, Natgeo, Disney Channel, Baby TV, and more. Spectrum could also lose Disney owned locals, including ABC7 Chicago, ABC7 Los Angeles, ABC7 New York, ABC7 San Francisco, ABC11 Raleigh-Durham, ABC13 Houston, ABC30 Fresno.

The deadline, according to a report on Reddit, is 5 pm Eastern today, August 31st, 2023. This comes as College Football Week One gets underway tonight on ESPN.

Spectrum says: “The rising cost of programming is the single greatest factor in higher cable TV prices, and we are fighting hard to hold the line on programming rates imposed on us by companies like Disney.” Now the question is how hard will they fight with college football starting tonight.

Disney released their own message about the possible blackout saying “We’re working hard to make sure some of America’s most watched networks such as the ESPN networks, including the ACC Network and SEC Network, the Disney-branded channels, Freeform, the FX networks and the National Geographic channels stay available to Spectrum TV customers. If we don’t reach a new agreement with Spectrum soon, some of your favorite shows may be gone from your lineup including SportsCenter and exclusive live sports such as Monday Night Football and college football plus Mickey Mouse Funhouse, 31 Nights of Halloween, American Horror Story, Welcome to Wrexham, Life Below Zero and much more.”

Here are all the channels that could go dark on Spectrum cable TV today:

ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNU, ESPN News, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network,
FX, FX Movie Channel, FXX, Freeform, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo,
Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Baby TV

https://cordcuttersnews.com/spectrum-ca ... ll-starts/
Cord Cutter News has a YouTube channel that I watch from time to time the guy will sometimes slur his speech which makes it difficult to follow. Most of his stories are about cable companies I have never heard of

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Cord Cutter News has a YouTube channel that I watch from time to time the guy will sometimes slur his speech which makes it difficult to follow. Most of his stories are about cable companies I have never heard of
Video on the latest about Disney and Spectrum

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Even if they settle their dispute, I'm leaning at giving Spectrum the boot and going with Fubo TV, which seems to have everything I want. Does anyone else have Fubo, and if so, what's been your experience with them?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I went with YouTube TV which was about half of what I was paying for charter. We only used cable for football and YT will have all of it and I can cancel as soon as the season is over.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Even if they settle their dispute, I'm leaning at giving Spectrum the boot and going with Fubo TV, which seems to have everything I want. Does anyone else have Fubo, and if so, what's been your experience with them?
Love Love Love fubo! Lots of recording space, multiple users on one account, rarely glitches. I did a lot of research before hand, and fubo seems to have been an early entrant in to the streaming business, and I keep hearing people on sports radio mention them when they talk about something they watched at home.

After using it for a while, when you log in, it has placed all of the programs you watch the most on the first page. You can arrange your channels, favorite them, record individual episodes or a series, or your favorite team. They have Root sports (Mariners).