Chris Carson Contract

kf3339

Reaction score
When the cap hit numbers come out for next year, we are going to be losing several popular players on this team. There also will need to be multiple players with large contracts making significant restructures just to make the numbers work. So while it's nice to assume we can keep Carson, I just don't see it. That position is the one we can spend money on at all.

I mean we could easily be looking at a $30-35M cap cut in just a few months.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
misfit":2at8iqv9 said:
I also think Carson is not going to take a 1 year deal

It's not about what Carson WANTS to take, it's what he has to take.

Do you honestly see Carson getting a monster free agent deal elsewhere? With all the RB contract busts of the past 10 years like Bell and Gurley that blew up in the team's face, I highly doubt an often injured RB like Carson is going to find a monster contract on the FA market.

RB's are now taking more fully guaranteed short term deals, and IMO that's what we'll sign Carson to. Pete loves him, so my guess is he'll get a short two year deal with most of the 1st year fully guaranteed.

We still need Carson, I'm not ready to hand over the bell cow 20+ carriers a game one of the most important positions in our offense to Penny just yet.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kzmia42 said:
misfit":2kzmia42 said:

Do you honestly see Carson getting a monster free agent deal elsewhere? With all the RB contract busts of the past 10 years like Bell and Gurley that blew up in the team's face, I highly doubt an often injured RB like Carson is going to find a monster contract on the FA market.

RB's are now taking more fully guaranteed short term deals, and IMO that's what we'll sign Carson to. Pete loves him, so my guess is he'll get a short two year deal with most of the 1st year fully guaranteed.

We still need Carson, I'm not ready to hand over the bell cow 20+ carriers a game one of the most important positions in our offense to Penny just yet.

But who says he has to take a 1 year contract? I'm sure plenty of teams would happily take him and sign him to a longer deal than that. I now believe that Carson will re-sign with the Seahawks, and I'm guessing it will be to a 3yr-deal with some incentives. This would probably be a compromise from both sides (Seahawks wanting 1-2 years, Carson and his agent wanting 4-5 years). I think that Carson will just be more realistic on his wanting top-5 RB money. He stated that at the same time he stated that he would be healthy for all 16 games, so I'm sure he's backed off that some. Also with the additions of Adams and Dunlap, the team is much more solid going forward and more players will want to stay, even if they have to take a little less than what they desire.

As for Dunlap, there's no way that the Seahawks are signing him for 14M a year., and I don't think he'll be asking for that much either. His current deal, is his prime years deal, so his next contract won't top that in terms of years or money. He's already not an every down DL, and his snap-count will be diminishing even more in the coming years. I think both he, and Adams will try and work out something that will work for the Seahawks, as they both love their new homes. This is great, as fans we can look forward to more of this new core for the fore-see-able future :2thumbs:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jemhlzp said:
misfit":1jemhlzp said:

Well said. If i'm Seattle, I offer Carson a 2 or 3 year deal around the 7 to 8 million range with incentives. Lets be real, the guy is hurt every year and i'm not sure other teams would really want him due to that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TypeSly":1liaf792 said:
Sgt. Largent":1liaf792 said:
misfit":1liaf792 said:

But who says he has to take a 1 year contract? I'm sure plenty of teams would happily take him and sign him to a longer deal than that. I now believe that Carson will re-sign with the Seahawks, and I'm guessing it will be to a 3yr-deal with some incentives. This would probably be a compromise from both sides (Seahawks wanting 1-2 years, Carson and his agent wanting 4-5 years). I think that Carson will just be more realistic on his wanting top-5 RB money. He stated that at the same time he stated that he would be healthy for all 16 games, so I'm sure he's backed off that some. Also with the additions of Adams and Dunlap, the team is much more solid going forward and more players will want to stay, even if they have to take a little less than what they desire.:

I just explained it, because RB's are not on the same value level as other position groups anymore, and there's recent examples of team's regretting giving their top 10 RB's long term deals (Gurley and Bell).

Carson's yet to play a full season, he's always injured, so if you think another teams going to give him a monster long term deal? I have no idea where you'd get that precedent from.

Carson's also very unique to our style of offense, which is not run by 75% of other teams. So you have to factor that into the equation as well. Why would another team want to give an often injured RB like Carson a long term deal in a role that's diminished within their offense.

I think you guys are overvaluing Carson's worth. Yes he's still important in OUR offense, but on the open market? I just don't see it.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fh1r848 said:
TypeSly":3fh1r848 said:
Sgt. Largent":3fh1r848 said:
misfit":3fh1r848 said:

But who says he has to take a 1 year contract? I'm sure plenty of teams would happily take him and sign him to a longer deal than that. I now believe that Carson will re-sign with the Seahawks, and I'm guessing it will be to a 3yr-deal with some incentives. This would probably be a compromise from both sides (Seahawks wanting 1-2 years, Carson and his agent wanting 4-5 years). I think that Carson will just be more realistic on his wanting top-5 RB money. He stated that at the same time he stated that he would be healthy for all 16 games, so I'm sure he's backed off that some. Also with the additions of Adams and Dunlap, the team is much more solid going forward and more players will want to stay, even if they have to take a little less than what they desire.:

I just explained it, because RB's are not on the same value level as other position groups anymore, and there's recent examples of team's regretting giving their top 10 RB's long term deals (Gurley and Bell).

Carson's yet to play a full season, he's always injured, so if you think another teams going to give him a monster long term deal? I have no idea where you'd get that precedent from.

Carson's also very unique to our style of offense, which is not run by 75% of other teams. So you have to factor that into the equation as well. Why would another team want to give an often injured RB like Carson a long term deal in a role that's diminished within their offense.

I think you guys are overvaluing Carson's worth. Yes he's still important in OUR offense, but on the open market? I just don't see it.

No, I don't think any team is going to give him a monster long term deal... but that doesn't mean it has to be a one year deal either. I think the Seahawks will sign him to a multi year deal (2-3 years) like any other team would. As for the money, it isn't going to be "monster" from the Seahawks or any other team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TypeSly":1hk2s5ms said:
Sgt. Largent":1hk2s5ms said:
TypeSly":1hk2s5ms said:
Sgt. Largent":1hk2s5ms said:

No, I don't think any team is going to give him a monster long term deal... but that doesn't mean it has to be a one year deal either. I think the Seahawks will sign him to a multi year deal (2-3 years) like any other team would. As for the money, it isn't going to be "monster" from the Seahawks or any other team.

I said short two year deal, so not sure why you quoted me and highlighted "who says he has to take a one year deal."

Yes, two years with most of the first year fully guaranteed at around 10M and an incentive laden 2nd year where he has to stay mostly healthy? If I had to guess.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2w9lplwj said:
TypeSly":2w9lplwj said:
Sgt. Largent":2w9lplwj said:
TypeSly":2w9lplwj said:

I said short two year deal, so not sure why you quoted me and highlighted "who says he has to take a one year deal."

Yes, two years with most of the first year fully guaranteed at around 10M and an incentive laden 2nd year where he has to stay mostly healthy? If I had to guess.

Misfit's quote "I also think Carson is not going to take a 1 year deal"

When your reply is "It's not about what Carson WANTS to take, it's what he has to take." it sure sounds like you're disagreeing and saying but he has no choice. If I have it wrong, then I apologize.

misfit

Reaction score
If it's about what he has to take let's "make" him take a 1 year 5 million dollar deal

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Due to the unknowns of this year and next year, I would presume a 2 year deal would probably be where they would go and see from that point where everything sets. That is with the covid protocols, fan protocols, and practice protocols proceeding as they did somewhat this year. Doc psycho seems to think this will go on for another year which will stunt the growth of the next season and a few more seasons. So I would think a 2 year deal is probably best in this situation.

LTH

Reaction score
TypeSly":10v2gkeg said:
Sgt. Largent":10v2gkeg said:
TypeSly":10v2gkeg said:
Sgt. Largent":10v2gkeg said:

I agree...

I think Carson has to be in the right scheme... he is in the perfect scheme with the Hawks... He is going to have a longer career with the Hawks as Pete knows how to play him... he is getting 12-15 carries per game and that's about the load he can take and stay healthy...The problem for Carson is Penny right behind him... I just think that's a really great one two punch...I really like Hyde as well and would LOVE to see the Hawks keep all three as these guys are awesome...I don't see Hyde sticking around...

LTH

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
TraderGary":1yuluyt0 said:
Appyhawk":1yuluyt0 said:
Did we get Hyde on a one year deal, or two?
Although we only had an abbreviated look, I thought 'Scarbro' turned in a very good Carson impersonation.
I would prefer to keep Carson, but I don't believe in credit spending.
Yes, Hyde is on a 1-year deal. I would be open to resigning him for 2021 for a similar type of deal if he was open to it. Not as the feature back in place of Carson, but he's a solid backup.

I'm really curious how Penny would do as the featured back. I don't think anyone really knows what we have in him including the coaching staff. His opportunities have been very limited since he was drafted. But Pete would have to learn how to use him properly as he's not a CC type of back. Adjustments would need to be made. But I would sure like to see them take advantage of the draft capital they speWnt on him. Or at the very least, let's see what's he got. He's shown flashes of brilliance in a limited role, but has never had the opportunity to get into any type of rhythm.

He's only got one more year on his rookie deal, and if they were to let him walk after next year without even knowing what they have in him, I think that would be a mistake.

This. I did not dislike the use of that number 1 draft pick on Penny like many did. Time will tell if Penny was the right running back we drafted with that pick. But with the Seahawk emphasis on a running game, it made sense to use draft capital to make that selection. In the draft good teams do not just draft for immediate need, but plan for the future. Maybe the hawks saw the unreliability of Carson from the get go. I sure did. He has never lasted an entire season, and injuries have hit him during critical periods when we needed to win a game for a higher playoff seed. My problem with how the hawks sometimes use their high round picks is that that they do not play them from the very beginning. This was what happened with Penny....making him wait behind Carson and giving him limited opportunities. Other instances of not using high round picks earlier in their contracts were Frank Clark and even Ethan Pocic. At the time they drafted Pocic, I felt this was a good pick to replace Britt at Center when the end of Britt's contract would make him more expensive. But what did we do? Try to convert Pocic to Guard when his profile did not project that he could become a mauling guard for the running game, so we assumed Pocic was a bust. Now in his final contract year, he is showing his worth as a decent Center which is where he should have had a chance all along. Another thing the hawks do is try to fit players into Pete's rigid schemes. Penny is not a Carson style back. But he has more explosive speed and can turn the corner. Try adapting our running game to Penny's strengths. Next year is Penny's 4th year and if he breaks out we have the 5th year option. I would rather invest our time in seeing how Penny does next year instead of keeping Carson on a one or two year deal. Another example of a Seahawk first round pick needing to play right away is Jordyn Brooks. Thank God we are not allowing him to be on the bench forever behind Wright and Wagner. Brooks is showing that he is a potential future Pro Bowl or even All Pro star, and we have a fifth year option on him for when the second contract time comes. Brooks was not a wasted draft pick because of Bobby in much the same way that I think that Penny was not a wasted draft pick because of Carson. Most teams do best by drafting best player available instead of reaching for need. I still believe in Penny.

TypeSly

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":1mj532je said:
TraderGary":1mj532je said:
Appyhawk":1mj532je said:
Did we get Hyde on a one year deal, or two?
Although we only had an abbreviated look, I thought 'Scarbro' turned in a very good Carson impersonation.
I would prefer to keep Carson, but I don't believe in credit spending.
Yes, Hyde is on a 1-year deal. I would be open to resigning him for 2021 for a similar type of deal if he was open to it. Not as the feature back in place of Carson, but he's a solid backup.

I'm really curious how Penny would do as the featured back. I don't think anyone really knows what we have in him including the coaching staff. His opportunities have been very limited since he was drafted. But Pete would have to learn how to use him properly as he's not a CC type of back. Adjustments would need to be made. But I would sure like to see them take advantage of the draft capital they speWnt on him. Or at the very least, let's see what's he got. He's shown flashes of brilliance in a limited role, but has never had the opportunity to get into any type of rhythm.

He's only got one more year on his rookie deal, and if they were to let him walk after next year without even knowing what they have in him, I think that would be a mistake.

This. I did not dislike the use of that number 1 draft pick on Penny like many did. Time will tell if Penny was the right running back we drafted with that pick. But with the Seahawk emphasis on a running game, it made sense to use draft capital to make that selection. In the draft good teams do not just draft for immediate need, but plan for the future. Maybe the hawks saw the unreliability of Carson from the get go. I sure did. He has never lasted an entire season, and injuries have hit him during critical periods when we needed to win a game for a higher playoff seed. My problem with how the hawks sometimes use their high round picks is that that they do not play them from the very beginning. This was what happened with Penny....making him wait behind Carson and giving him limited opportunities. Other instances of not using high round picks earlier in their contracts were Frank Clark and even Ethan Pocic. At the time they drafted Pocic, I felt this was a good pick to replace Britt at Center when the end of Britt's contract would make him more expensive. But what did we do? Try to convert Pocic to Guard when his profile did not project that he could become a mauling guard for the running game, so we assumed Pocic was a bust. Now in his final contract year, he is showing his worth as a decent Center which is where he should have had a chance all along. Another thing the hawks do is try to fit players into Pete's rigid schemes. Penny is not a Carson style back. But he has more explosive speed and can turn the corner. Try adapting our running game to Penny's strengths. Next year is Penny's 4th year and if he breaks out we have the 5th year option. I would rather invest our time in seeing how Penny does next year instead of keeping Carson on a one or two year deal. Another example of a Seahawk first round pick needing to play right away is Jordyn Brooks. Thank God we are not allowing him to be on the bench forever behind Wright and Wagner. Brooks is showing that he is a potential future Pro Bowl or even All Pro star, and we have a fifth year option on him for when the second contract time comes. Brooks was not a wasted draft pick because of Bobby in much the same way that I think that Penny was not a wasted draft pick because of Carson. Most teams do best by drafting best player available instead of reaching for need. I still believe in Penny.

Great post, but how is Brooks showing that he's a future Prob-bowler / All-pro?