Clayton: Seahawks showing why patience is key for winning

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I don’t understand why anyone would want Pete and John gone. This is a tough year for team without a lot of cap room. Unless players at the top start restructuring their deals the Hawks don’t have much to work with. I guess some fans would rather not have a shot at all at winning. Pete has been the best coach we ever had. I wanna see him ride this out before we throw him away. Teams that fire coaches for not winning every year kinda have shitty teams. You want to be the eagles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JustTheTip":nwa5uvyb said:
A lot of cleaning was required for this thread. If you need to express your inner child take it to the Shack where it belongs.

Why was the very first reply to this thread not cleaned? Literally the first reply to this thread was completely off-topic to free agency, which is what the post was about.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1o27lt5c said:
JustTheTip":1o27lt5c said:
A lot of cleaning was required for this thread. If you need to express your inner child take it to the Shack where it belongs.

Why was the very first reply to this thread not cleaned? Literally the first reply to this thread was completely off-topic to free agency, which is what the post was about.

In my opinion, this thread has two valid points for discussion. Free agency and the definition of winning. Beyond that, the posts that were edited and or removed because they were the discussion equivalent of monkeys throwing poo, not because they were off topic.

I am leaving your post and this response in place as a reminder to posters here that questioning moderating outside the shack is also against the rules here. If you have a serious question PM the moderator. If you just want to call me a doodie head, go to the shack to do it.

Thanks,
JTT

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1929hlap said:
It's not that people don't have a right to complain, it's that people have grown so disgruntled with relative success that it's hard to speak in even remotely positive terms about the team without a select group of usual suspects coming in to detract from the conversation, usually with points irrelevant to the topic of discussion that derail the thread.

I had been living among another fan base who had recently won their first Super Bowl before the Seahawks won theirs and a chunk of our fan base has taken on the same thing they had going.

For so long we were just happy to even get a playoff berth because in a "good year" the team was "still in the hunt" (almost always needing lots of help from other teams to get in). I remember thinking "man, they almost won a playoff game!" in that OT loss to the Packers with Holmgren.

But once they won a Super Bowl (and went to another one after that) a lot of the fan base flipped to where the other team's fans I was living around were at: anything short of a Super Bowl win would have a lot of them in a pretty negative state. I thought this would probably be the case and it is.

A lot of the posters here will insist that they just need to see improvement/deeper in the the playoffs. But if this team consistently loses in NFC championship games/divisional games instead of divisional/wild card games are those people going to be less disgruntled? For most of them, I really doubt it. I don't think they're being honest with themselves.

I don't think there are many "whatever the team's GM and coach does is awesome!" types. I've seen them but there aren't that many; I feel like there are way more of the "just dump this person and this person now" types, probably because it's easier to be negative. It's easier to be negative because winning is hard because there are 32 teams and its so competitive. Even the bad teams can get some wins; the worst teams really aren't that much worse than the best teams. This isn't college football.

Most of us ride the excitement/disappointment/praise/criticism cycle at various levels. I regularly pointed out most of the 2019 season about the defense dragging the team down (and the first half of the 2020 season). I'm not mad about it, I just recognized that giving up 30 PPG was a serious death sentence and no amount of "Let Russ Cook" was going to sustain much, as evidenced from some bad games in the middle of the season.

I thought giving up a fourth round pick for Marshawn Lynch seemed stupid. And after being so wrong about that, I just sort of gave up trying to analyze and figure out whether things were good or bad on the fly.

I'm at the point (and I've been here for awhile) where I'm not going to try to analyze every single item and turn it into some strategic explanation with maximum confirmation bias about how the team is doing. I don't know, and neither do the other people here. We don't know what's actually going on in the building, and there are so many variables on an NFL team and the league that the idea of us having it "figured out" is ludicrous. It may be fun to speculate, but we don't know.

I have gotten very good at finding enjoyment in individual games, events, etc. during the season. This team might not win another Super Bowl in my lifetime (and I'm really not that old). I'm not going to waste every season being disgruntled because something something. I'd like to see them be better, and there are moments where I'm like "what?" but I've got it pretty good at this point with a team that isn't an utter laughing stock and is competitive nearly every game and every year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great post ^
A lot of good points. Shoot, in 2020 it was a real possibility that we weren't even going to have football. And it turned out to be a pretty exciting season imo. 12-4 and a division title is a hell of a lot better than no football at all.
All in how you look at it. After the playoff loss, I was as frustrated as I've ever been. But, eventually I was able to step back and look at it differently and appreciate what we had a lot more. And how much success the team has had.
The constant blasting each other just kind of ruined the page, hopefully at some point we can just talk football. All without getting so personal. Some of us are "too positive" and supposedly "are ok with just winning in the regular season"
Seems like a lot of assuming how someone truly feels about how a season turns out. You can be positive about the team and plenty pissed off. It IS not only possible, but pretty common for plenty of us.
Then on the other side, the 24/7 doom and gloom crowd. The Russ is Satan crowd etc. That's their choice, and maybe I'm just realizing I need to step back and let them do that negative thing. To each his/her own. It's not personal, even though I have been threatened on here a few times, and plenty of people don't like me. And that's fine, they don't actually know me (and I don't know them) it's just a message board. Until recently, I just had to stay away, it's just the same crap over and over again. No matter what the team does, it's not good enough. At some point, it's just a waste of time and energy. I have plenty of more important things to do than worry about someone internet hating me :irishdrinkers:

JGreen79

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3ojk14uj said:
themunn":3ojk14uj said:
JayhawkMike":3ojk14uj said:
What does he think is the key to winning in the playoffs? 3 wins in 6 years wants to know.

3 wins in 6 years isn't bad - only 3 NFC teams with more in that time.
Over 8 years no NFC team is near (8 wins, vs 6 next closest - Green Bay, who also have 0 Superbowl appearances in that time).

And since Carroll took over, his 10 playoff wins are 2nd only to Green Bay (who had 11, with 4 coming in the 2010 season all the way back). Next closest is 7.

So I think he knows something about winning.

Now do the AFC.

AFC playoff wins are irrelevant. They have no impact on Seattle's playoff wins unless they make the super bowl. No NFC team has been to the super bowl twice in the last 6 years, and only 2 teams have done it since realignment in 2002. The Giants and the Seahawks. Playoff wins in the NFC have always been tougher. Even more, every NFC team has made the playoffs in the last 6 years.

The other franchises that appeared more than once shouldn't be considered the same team as they had completely different rosters and coaches. If for some reason you do want to include those franchises... Seattle is the only team to go 3 times.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
bmorepunk":xjtjunjq said:
pittpnthrs":xjtjunjq said:
Oh, so you remember the Seahawks without Russell Wilson.

then

We're talking about today, not 30 years ago.

Derp.

What does this even mean? I know you were doing your best to be cute and sarcastic, but you are poor at it.

Bringing up the 90's is the saddest excuse for accepting todays results ever. Its the same as somebody saying their new mustang that runs like crap is perfectly fine because they used to have one 30 years ago that ran even worse. I'll never understand the mindset.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":32ul2jxz said:
bmorepunk":32ul2jxz said:
pittpnthrs":32ul2jxz said:

then

Derp.

What does this even mean? I know you were doing your best to be cute and sarcastic, but you are poor at it.

Bringing up the 90's is the saddest excuse for accepting todays results ever. Its the same as somebody saying their new mustang that runs like crap is perfectly fine because they used to have one 30 years ago that ran even worse. I'll never understand the mindset.

The new Mustang in your analogy doesn't run like crap, though. It ran really, really well last year until the end.

Now we're gonna give it a tune up and get it back on the road strong rather than throwing it away and entering the used car market, praying for a good deal.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2stymlai said:
The lack of adjustments and/or the seemingly blatant refusal to adjust to the opponent is maddening to say the least. For some reason, it just got to me more this year than any other of the playoff losses. Not to sound overly negative, but Pete getting outcoached has been pretty normal for a while now. All while Russ saves him basically. Just an opinion. Stubborn isn't cutting it.

Pete coming out for the presser afterwards and openly admitting he didnt understand what happened is the most concerning for me (he did that a couple times last season). He just didnt understand how his game plan failed and the other teams didnt. So when talking about adjusting, i'm not sure he even knows how sometimes. That isnt what you want from a head coach.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":lovyv2k3 said:
pittpnthrs":lovyv2k3 said:
bmorepunk":lovyv2k3 said:
pittpnthrs":lovyv2k3 said:

then

Derp.

The new Mustang in your analogy doesn't run like crap, though. It ran really, really well last year until the end.

Now we're gonna give it a tune up and get it back on the road strong rather than throwing it away and entering the used car market, praying for a good deal.

Apparently, he'd rather drive a Yugo with a new paint job than a Ferrari with dented panels.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":25y8fzsv said:
pittpnthrs":25y8fzsv said:
bmorepunk":25y8fzsv said:
pittpnthrs":25y8fzsv said:

then

Derp.

Not really though. That new Mustang won some early drag races but you recognized something was still amiss. Regardless, you kept driving it and still won a lot of races even though you were looking at the upcoming competition in the finals realizing they had better running cars. Once the finals started, you lost. Surprise,,,,or was it? Now the crew chief just wants to give it a tuneup instead of changing things and you expect different results which arent going to happen. But hey, its still a better running Mustang then the one you had 30 years ago right?