CLink etiquette

uncle fester

Reaction score
Hey all,

So, as some of you may remember from a previous thread, my wife & I are making the trip to Seattle for weeks 2 & 3 and have tickets to both games. With a week to go till the flight, I'm finding it very difficult to even do a normal day's work any more without looking out the window.

Anyway. Having read the thread about the Vikings fan causing trouble, it got me wondering...

If we happen to be sat near 49ers fans, what's the etiquette? To clarify; In absolutely no way am I looking for trouble. I've read the code of conduct for the stadium and, well, common sense also plays a large part in it too.

I'm ok with beer/popcorn being thrown at me, abusive language, taunting, etc., (I'm quite thick skinned about it and it's quite funny, really) but how much are you allowed to give back? Is it give as good as you get? Choose a moment to reveal a "U Mad Bro?" T-Shirt? Wave politely and smile sweetly? Don't react at all?

We're in the 300s for the 49ers game and the 100s for the Jags game.

(Yes, this is more to do with 49er fans than Jags fans. I'm assuming Jags fans exist, but perhaps they might not be as vocal in their support)

Lemme know?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If you think they might be an undercover cop, throw urine on them. Otherwise, just be decent.

Largent80

Reaction score
Beer is $10 each.....You gonna pour it on some doofus, misguided fan?

No, just watch the Hawks destroy them, that's good enough.

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
Living in Phoenix, I have made it to every game here that the Hawks are in town for since '02. It has been tough at times to say the least. I can take the heckling that I get no prob. Hell I'm wearing Hawk gear in a Cardinal stadium, I get it. If someone throws something at me, which happened a few years back, that's where I draw the line. The commom denominator always seems to be how much beer some jackass decides to drink before they take it to the next level. Really, going to a game at Clink you should have nothing to worry about. I'm sure if something happens, there will be plenty of people around who will have your back.

BoatsAndHose

Reaction score
Dumping beer on an obnoxious fan is generally ok. Just don't get physical and you should have nothing to worry about. Dumping urine is pretty gross, and it will probably lead to an altercation. Generally a physical altercation will get you kicked out even if you didn't initiate the actual fighting. Just my 2 cents.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As a Hawks fan at CenturyLink the most you will see is an occasional opposing fan with too much to drink addressing snarky comments at your entire section. Let somebody else deal with that.

If you do happen to be sitting next to a 9ers fan, most likely they will be the ones trying to enjoy the game and worried about you. A little friendliness goes a long ways. On the remote chance that they do get hassled by a drunk fan or two, your conduct will frame it as being hassled by a single drunk person rather than the Seahawks fan base.

OP
OP
uncle fester

uncle fester

Reaction score
AgentDib":31sg4cn5 said:
As a Hawks fan at CenturyLink the most you will see is an occasional opposing fan with too much to drink addressing snarky comments at your entire section. Let somebody else deal with that.

If you do happen to be sitting next to a 9ers fan, most likely they will be the ones trying to enjoy the game and worried about you. A little friendliness goes a long ways. On the remote chance that they do get hassled by a drunk fan or two, your conduct will frame it as being hassled by a single drunk person rather than the Seahawks fan base.

You raise a good point about their lasting impressions. Noted.

A

Anonymous

My standard advice for being in public at a "paid-to-get-in" function, is to use the New York subway/at a urinal/in an elevator rule...

Eyes forward and avoid making eye contact, don't react (physically) to anything you hear, be cognizant of other's personal space, keep your hands/feet/hair/clothing/articles in your own personal space, don't help anybody unless they ask for your help, and nothing is ever your business.

Always works for me.

Largent80

Reaction score
Bottom line is = You are at a game for entertainment. This is not the UFC with you as a fighter, just enjoy the experience and be cool.

jkitsune

Reaction score
First of all, ENJOY THE GAME! Seahawks games are a hell of a lot of fun, and I'd go every Sunday if I had the option.

Second, as others have said above, generally the worst you'll see is a drunk away fan heckling your section throughout the game. That person invites trouble, and tends to get it back. Let them handle it and don't get involved. Most visiting fans I've sat next to have been very cool, just looking to enjoy the game, and REALLY appreciate some friendliness. If a 'cool' visiting fan gets a bit too much nastiness thrown at them from a rowdy 12, even a 'don't worry about it, you're cool by me' goes a long way.

Don't call people racial or gender-related epithets. Don't throw beer or food on people or their expensive jerseys. Don't harass kids (seriously, I can't believe this happens). It's all pretty common sense, and if you're a decent dude who isn't a total drunk wreck you'll figure most of it out on your own.

It's OK to boo 49er fans as they walk to their seats, but once they sit down, just let them enjoy their expensive ticket. It's OK to wave mockingly as they leave, dejected, halfway through the 4th quarter.

Anything I missed?

Edit: If a visiting fan has been a particularly good sport in their banter or gracious in their team's loss (usually) or victory (rarely) I'll shake hands after the game and congratulate them/wish them luck for the rest of the season. But then, I'm a bit of a sweetheart.

A

Anonymous

jkitsune":c2p91c3r said:
First of all, ENJOY THE GAME! Seahawks games are a hell of a lot of fun, and I'd go every Sunday if I had the option.

Second, as others have said above, generally the worst you'll see is a drunk away fan heckling your section throughout the game. That person invites trouble, and tends to get it back. Let them handle it and don't get involved. Most visiting fans I've sat next to have been very cool, just looking to enjoy the game, and REALLY appreciate some friendliness. If a 'cool' visiting fan gets a bit too much nastiness thrown at them from a rowdy 12, even a 'don't worry about it, you're cool by me' goes a long way.

Don't call people racial or gender-related epithets. Don't throw beer or food on people or their expensive jerseys. Don't harass kids (seriously, I can't believe this happens). It's all pretty common sense, and if you're a decent dude who isn't a total drunk wreck you'll figure most of it out on your own.

It's OK to boo 49er fans as they walk to their seats, but once they sit down, just let them enjoy their expensive ticket. It's OK to wave mockingly as they leave, dejected, halfway through the 4th quarter.

Anything I missed?

No vomiting on their seats while they run to the can?

jkitsune

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":156lyar9 said:
jkitsune":156lyar9 said:

Anything I missed?

No vomiting on their seats while they run to the can?

Are you kidding? Of course you vomit on their seats. Amateur question!

OP
OP
uncle fester

uncle fester

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a point worth making twice;

We've spent an eye watering amount of cash on these tickets, so first and foremost we're there to enjoy the game. (Also, I want to be able to remember the game, so the usual gameday beer allowance will also be cut back) If someone else isn't enjoying it for whatever reason, that's their lookout, and we won't be interested.

Also, while I don't mind beer being thrown in my direction, if it's $10 a go then I'm drinking mine, not throwing it in retaliation!!

I was asking simply in case someone close by gets their nose out of joint for whatever reason. I'm not the sort to even boo any nearby 9er fans - that's how far I'd go to avoid trouble.

seanoob

Reaction score
Saw some fans get removed from the Pats game in the FOURTH Quarter for shoving each other. Pats fans started it and were removed first, but security came and made the hawks fans leave a minute later.

OrFan

Reaction score
Be yourself and have fun. You are in your home here. The chance of anything happening that you would have to respond to is very remote to say the least. Before I had to sell my seats I went to every single game, including pre season, for seven years, never had a problem.

To smile and wave and say bye bye to the whiner fans as they leave early, because they are losing badly, is expected. Drinking in those tears will taste better than the beer, and it's free!