Coach Romar is hungry to turn it around...a little bit.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":37jcvfej said:
Do people not realize that UW is bringing in a top 5 recruiting class next year? With 3 of those guys being the top 3 players from this state (if Crisp played this year at RB). That's before transfers come in also. Still 3 scholarships to give out and the rumors of who those scholarships are going to would be HUGE. Romar is going back to what he did when he first got here and next year's class is going to help get that job done.

The rumors of Romar not being able to recruit are greatly exaggerated

If he is so great, and the team is going to be so great next year, then why would Goss transfer? And Darin Johnson? And it's not a top 5 recruiting class, it's currently ranked #9 by scout. This is his first good recruiting class in a while.

Bottom line in my opinion, he was a great recruiter back in the day, but he has basically let the program drown the last 3-4 years. Most importantly ignoring the frontcourt. Outside of Wroten and Goss, he really hasn't brought it anyone the last 5 years. And Wroten left after one year, and Goss after two years.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1uljj4v5 said:
Hawkfan77":1uljj4v5 said:
Do people not realize that UW is bringing in a top 5 recruiting class next year? With 3 of those guys being the top 3 players from this state (if Crisp played this year at RB). That's before transfers come in also. Still 3 scholarships to give out and the rumors of who those scholarships are going to would be HUGE. Romar is going back to what he did when he first got here and next year's class is going to help get that job done.

If he is so great, and the team is going to be so great next year, then why would Goss transfer? And Darin Johnson?
Huh? What exactly are you referring too? You should either pay closer attention to whats written or not quote someone

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w03ueqi said:
Hawkfan77":1w03ueqi said:

I'd agree with your, if this was 2005...........but when's the last time Romar had a top 5 recruiting class? Dude's been at UW since 2002, he should have this program in the top part of the Pac 12 and be in the tourney perennially.

Recruiting was suppose to be his strong suit, and it just hasn't been there for a while. Hopefully this will be the class to turn things around, but if it's not, Romar's not long for his job.
Romar took some calculated risks in recruiting to take the program to the next level and it didn't work out. And not only did it not work out but it set the program back and it forced him to change his philosophy and coaching style.

The program shouldn't be "starting over" but it is. In his most recent interview he acknowledged the errors he made along the way and he's getting back to what made the program successful. This upcoming class is reminiscent of the ones that made the program great. He's getting back to recruiting high level athletes and will be featuring the uptempo offense.

If it weren't for this in coming class and the transfer season that looks very promising, the program would actually be in bad shape. But he's had a stretch of 3 mediocre seasons because of some decisions that turned out very poorly. UW basketball is about to be back

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":vmiyzu5f said:
Hawk-Lock":vmiyzu5f said:
Hawkfan77":vmiyzu5f said:

If he is so great, and the team is going to be so great next year, then why would Goss transfer? And Darin Johnson?
Huh? What exactly are you referring too? You should either pay closer attention to whats written or not quote someone

I understand what you are saying. He is going back to what he has done in the past. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Romar. And for you, dont' state incorrect facts about Washington having a top 5 recruiting class :roll:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1uhfqrcy said:
If it weren't for this in coming class and the transfer season that looks very promising, the program would actually be in bad shape. But he's had a stretch of 3 mediocre seasons because of some decisions that turned out very poorly. UW basketball is about to be back

I hear ya, and I hope you're right..............but like others have said, I'll believe it when I see it.

I also don't blame Romar for Goss leaving, it's very possible that BECAUSE of the new class coming in Romar told Goss he might not see the minutes he's used to. Maybe that facilitated his decision, who knows.

Here's what I do know, Seattle and the greater NW has enough talent for a program like UW, and a coach with Romar's pedigree and experience to be fielding top 10 recruiting classes and going to the dance each and every year.

Plus the Pac 12 isn't even strong anymore, no reason to be a middling Pac 12 team.

bigcc

Reaction score
it's hard to build anything when you don't have guys staying.

That being said give him a year to see what he can do with andrews/winters/jerreau in their final year+his best recruiting class to date going into the season, barring injury (lol), this is the best shot we'll see at how he can adapt the players he's coached with basically a 6 man roster of new players mesh together.

If he makes the tourny and none of this class leaves with the seniors, let him stay, if he misses again, I don't know who we'd bring in but Romar can't miss the dance this many years in a row.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Romar also should have brought Ken Bone back as an associate head coach when Ken was fired at WSU. Ken would be an upgrade over any of his current assistants. He was pivotal in recruiting Jon Brockman to UW. That type of player has been lacking from the roster the past few years. Ken is now the associate head coach at Montana.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3q8kvnyq said:
I understand what you are saying. He is going back to what he has done in the past. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Romar. And for you, dont' state incorrect facts about Washington having a top 5 recruiting class :roll:
Recruiting for 2015 isn't over yet... :roll:

You'll believe what see you see it? Are you trying to say that the 6-9 players coming in next year are not high quality athletes?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":2nfbi809 said:
Real talk, a lot of these recruits just don't want to stay in the state.
Which ones are you referring to? That's the complete opposite of what I know. This state has some elite talent in the pipelines and most, it not all, are giving UW serious consideration if not committing. Plus there's some major out of state talent that would surprise a lot on here if they get reeled in the next couple weeks.

When I say UW basketball is on its way back, it's not just me hoping. There's things I know that are happening that are great and very exciting.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2ws6p244 said:
Hawk-Lock":2ws6p244 said:

You'll believe what see you see it? Are you trying to say that the 6-9 players coming in next year are not high quality athletes?

I just wish I was as optimistic as you. The 2015-2016 class on paper looks good, very good. I just hope it is sending us in the right direction. Because the last few years, everything has gone in the wrong direction (Upshaw getting dismissed, NWG transferring, not being able to recruit any big men the last 2-3 years, etc.).

You have every right to feel optimistic about the future of Husky Hoops, and I have ever right to be very cautious. If there is one thing I've learned in college hoops, it is not to put too much faith in those recruiting rankings. I've seen 4-star recruits flop and 2-star recruits shine. It's just hard to know how these young 16/17 year old kids will project at the collegiate level.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":m9y4thck said:
Hawkfan77":m9y4thck said:
Hawk-Lock":m9y4thck said:

I just wish I was as optimistic as you. The 2015-2016 class on paper looks good, very good. I just hope it is sending us in the right direction. Because the last few years, everything has gone in the wrong direction (Upshaw getting dismissed, NWG transferring, not being able to recruit any big men the last 2-3 years, etc.).

You have every right to feel optimistic about the future of Husky Hoops, and I have ever right to be very cautious. If there is one thing I've learned in college hoops, it is not to put too much faith in those recruiting rankings. I've seen 4-star recruits flop and 2-star recruits shine. It's just hard to know how these young 16/17 year old kids will project at the collegiate level.
Very fair.

I will say this, the dawgs just got a commit from (now) 6'10" 260 lb center Matt Atewe. He's a transfer from Auburn but should get a waiver and be able to play immediately. 2 spots still open

CPHawk

Reaction score
Do UW fans understand that UA is a top 10 class, UO top 15 with a real shot at one more 5* and a 4* guard, and Cal is closing in on a top 10 class also? They all have better coaches as well.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CPHawk":3ezfmn9v said:
Do UW fans understand that UA is a top 10 class, UO top 15 with a real shot at one more 5* and a 4* guard, and Cal is closing in on a top 10 class also? They all have better coaches as well.
Only Arizona has a better class than UW. But I'm trying to understand what the point of your post is.

Who said that they expect UW to win the pac 12 next year? Also, UW isn't done recruiting for 2015 either so...

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":20q2hsjx said:
Hawk-Lock":20q2hsjx said:
Hawkfan77":20q2hsjx said:
Hawk-Lock":20q2hsjx said:

Very fair.

I will say this, the dawgs just got a commit from (now) 6'10" 260 lb center Matt Atewe. He's a transfer from Auburn but should get a waiver and be able to play immediately. 2 spots still open

Interesting....Atewe looks like a big body, but sounds like he has had injury problems. He didn't put up great numbers, but maybe a new start will be good for him. At this point, we will take whatever big men we can get.

Still waiting to here from Shaquan Aaron. Based on what Pitino said about Aaron, he sounds pretty immature. Hopefully sitting out a year will let him mature. Not sure if him coming home is a good or bad thing. I saw him a little at Louisville and he definitely has the skill to play, but he needs to hit the weights.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":26yy3giq said:
CPHawk":26yy3giq said:
Only Arizona has a better class than UW. But I'm trying to understand what the point of your post is.

Who said that they expect UW to win the pac 12 next year? Also, UW isn't done recruiting for 2015 either so...

Cal will soon. My point is, UW has had talent, the problem has been and will continue to be coaching. I've said it for years, when it comes to X and O, Romar and Kent are the same guy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CPHawk":2q8ibzxa said:
Hawkfan77":2q8ibzxa said:
CPHawk":2q8ibzxa said:

Cal will soon. My point is, UW has had talent, the problem has been and will continue to be coaching. I've said it for years, when it comes to X and O, Romar and Kent are the same guy.
Oh ok

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Some fun Husky youtube videos I've found the last few days:

2010 Pac-10 Tournament Title Game:
Part1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EBwMBm9n_A
Part2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGSp5lqTkk0

2010 UW vs Kentucky (The "Terrence Jones" game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVwrVaYCd1k

2011 NCAA Tournament Loss to UNC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTO-eYjVZA

2006 NCAA Tournamt Game, UW vs Illinois (The Brandon Roy Show):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYwjB_a0qvM

2006 NCAA Tournament Loss to UConn (TheBrandon Roy Show AGAIN):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkrqfSHiyZY

2005 NCAA Tournament Loss to Louisville (Maybe the Greatest Husky Team Ever):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x43laRLDg7g

2010 NCAA tournament, Washington vs New Mexico Highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1my0YMW73K8

Tried to find some more games, such as UW over Stanford in 2004 and the UW tournament game over Marqutte where Pondexter hit the game winner, but couldn't find anything. I know this isn't really related to the thread, but still fun stuff.

Latest posts