D Gives Up 17 play TD Drive to Preview Season

Polk738

Reaction score
Fade, you're looking at one drive. Go back and look at the stats for the whole game. T.O.P. and yardage, passing and rushing. Look at the big picture, you'll find alot less negative in these numbers.

Cheers

Definitely, if you look at the overall stats I think they did pretty good defensively a few TFLs, 3 sacks, an INT, a couple PBUs-you can't ask much more from a group of back ups who are trying to make the team that don't normally play together.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I just tried to get a Sunday Ticket refund. They won't let me. What a waste of 400 bucks.

seabowl

Reaction score
No, I think we're going to miss a guy like, oh, say... Jalen Carter in the middle. Witherspoon, who can't even get on the damned field?? Jesus.
I had thought of that too, however, he was not passed up for his physical ability. Talent wise I thought he was the best player in the draft. Outside of what was made public though I think there were other things that spooked nine other teams from taking him, including the Seahawks.

Last edited:

Hawkmode

Reaction score
No, I think we're going to miss a guy like, oh, say... Jalen Carter in the middle. Witherspoon, who can't even get on the damned field?? Jesus.
Understand your ire concerning Jalen (The Eagles will thank us) but I understand if Pete and John loved what they saw enough to pull the trigger then see what develops with the Spoon pick.

Two to three excellent corners has to be a luxury to be enjoyed if our Offense really clicks the way JSN and our new RBs point in that direction. A true high powered offense makes our secondary more important than solid run defense.

Expecting surprising returns out of Jarran Reed at NT...and Jalen would have more impact in a 3T position (We already paid top dollar for our 3T in free agency when we nabbed Dre'Mont Jones)...so Jalen will have to be a coulda/shoulda type rear window view for now.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Not sure if I should take the outcome of the second pre season game, as the template permanent fixture, that is to be expected of the upcoming regular 17 games.

Pre season games, do not often comprise of tape reviewed and installed specific game plans.

It’s really a “on the spur” type mentality, where it’s really a pick up game, just to assess who may be able to contribute.

Smellyman

Reaction score
But did you guys see? Jalen Carter ran by a guard who didn't move! he is obviously awesome

pmedic920

Reaction score
@Fade

Honest and sincere question here.

What are your expectations for preseason?
What are your expectations for our rookie draftees and current UDFAs?
What are your expectations for this Season?

I’m a from day one fan, and I tend to be a bit pessimistic myself but I always have hope and look for things to be excited about. I do this each and every year.

This particular year, I see a team that lost a franchise QB last season, and went on to exceed almost everyone’s expectations.

I see a team that by almost every pundit’s opinion killed the draft.

I see a team that struggled on defense last season and address many of the “issues”, and a DC that openly admits that they had severe issues last season, he certainly seems to be refocused. He also seems to to highly invested in correcting the things he has control over.

I see a Squad that is certainly excited (probably an understatement), and very reminiscent of the guys in 2012.

You catch a lot of heat for your “takes” and generally pessimistic outlook, but maybe if you explained your expectations, the gang could get on board and have a conversation with you.

Please Friend, what are your expectations?

Polk738

Reaction score
I think the run D this season will surprise a lot of people mostly because of the new personnel on the d-line AND the new scheme, IT IS changing but I don't think we will see much of it during the preseason because I'm pretty sure Pete isn't looking to give away tape on it and two, they aren't looking to win games they are looking to assess players potential in making this roster.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm not going to ring the alarms over one drive. Especially with all the new pieces. If they still can't stop the run by week 6 or 7 then I'd say it's pretty much over this year.

bileever

Reaction score
I want to clarify that I'm not necessarily disagreeing with @Fade. I'm just putting forth an alternate explanation for the failure of the defense in the first two drives. As I said, I was dismayed by the way our run defense was gashed in the first drive. But football is a game of adjustments, and although our first-team defense wasn't around long enough to show it could adjust, the second team did.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
A defense featuring many starters (Nwosu, JReed, Mafe, Michael Jackson, and Devin Bush along with rotational players looked eerily similar to what they looked like last season, while getting carved up by a Dallas squad who played no starters.

If you're not concerned about this after recent history, I don't know what to tell you.
They went 0-3 last year in preseason and started off 6-3. You’re the worst armchair quarterback on the board buddy lol

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'll start worrying for real if and when teams do that with Bobby and Dre'Mont and a healthy Brooks on the field.

Yes, it was concerning while watching the 17-play drive. So our 2nd and 3rd stringers struggled at times against Dallas's 2nd and 3rd stringers. It's major cause for concern if our 3rd stringers are getting lots of playing time in the regular season.

Aircrew

Reaction score
@Fade

Honest and sincere question here.

What are your expectations for preseason?
What are your expectations for our rookie draftees and current UDFAs?
What are your expectations for this Season?

I’m a from day one fan, and I tend to be a bit pessimistic myself but I always have hope and look for things to be excited about. I do this each and every year.

This particular year, I see a team that lost a franchise QB last season, and went on to exceed almost everyone’s expectations.

I see a team that by almost every pundit’s opinion killed the draft.

I see a team that struggled on defense last season and address many of the “issues”, and a DC that openly admits that they had severe issues last season, he certainly seems to be refocused. He also seems to to highly invested in correcting the things he has control over.

I see a Squad that is certainly excited (probably an understatement), and very reminiscent of the guys in 2012.

You catch a lot of heat for your “takes” and generally pessimistic outlook, but maybe if you explained your expectations, the gang could get on board and have a conversation with you.

Please Friend, what are your expectations?
To have the word "condescending" replaced in the dictionary with his name.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
A defense featuring many starters (Nwosu, JReed, Mafe, Michael Jackson, and Devin Bush along with rotational players looked eerily similar to what they looked like last season, while getting carved up by a Dallas squad who played no starters.

If you're not concerned about this after recent history, I don't know what to tell you.
When you do know you’ll know so then let me know

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The middle of the defense will be why we will be 8-9/ 9-8 I don't believe in Hurtt or whatever bullshit defense Pete is trying to run so please either get a real DC or ******* retire already. I've wasted like 7 years on this bullshit.