D Gives Up 17 play TD Drive to Preview Season

bileever

Reaction score
Nfl.com reports that there are two DTs on the roster bubble for their teams, Neville Gallimore of the Cowboys and Lawrence Guy of the Patriots. Maybe we'll be able to pick up one of these guys, either by trade or waiver wire?

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
We're still incredibly soft in the middle, especially the interior and as I've bitched and moaned about it before; We drafted an injury prone CB instead of the generational DT because reasons

We're gonna lose games exactly the same way we lost them last year; Teams are just gonna pound the football straight down the middle and we can't do anything to stop it.

NoGain

Reaction score
Jalen Carter had character issues. The Hawks didn't want to take a chance with such a high pick on a guy with character issues. What's so hard to understand about this? We weren't the only ones who passed on this "generational" player. As others have mentioned, Philly could afford to take a chance on the guy.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
We're still incredibly soft in the middle, especially the interior and as I've bitched and moaned about it before; We drafted an injury prone CB instead of the generational DT because reasons

We're gonna lose games exactly the same way we lost them last year; Teams are just gonna pound the football straight down the middle and we can't do anything to stop it.
As @NoGain mentioned, character issues were a HUGE concern. Imagine how you and everyone else (that wanted Carter selected) would feel had he turned out to be a wasted draft pick after doing something completely dumb and off the rails while playing for the Hawks. The "risky" pick that would've been Carter is the same risky pick that was Malik McDowell, and I feel it's still too soon for them to make a mistake like that again, especially after they specifically changed their philosophy and direction when it came to drafting. How would they justify making a risky pick like that again after last year's draft was so great?

If you want to hype Carter up and think the Hawks made a huge mistake not taking him and they will suffer because of it, go for it. But it just didn't (and still doesn't) make sense for them to go backwards from last year and take a risky pick because of "need". It's still way too early to even call Carter a generational DT right now, because I'm sure you know there have been TOO many "generational" players in college that have absolutely tanked in the NFL.

Carter hasn't even played a meaningful (regular season) snap yet, not one.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
As @NoGain mentioned, character issues were a HUGE concern. Imagine how you and everyone else (that wanted Carter selected) would feel had he turned out to be a wasted draft pick after doing something completely dumb and off the rails while playing for the Hawks. The "risky" pick that would've been Carter is the same risky pick that was Malik McDowell, and I feel it's still too soon for them to make a mistake like that again, especially after they specifically changed their philosophy and direction when it came to drafting. How would they justify making a risky pick like that again after last year's draft was so great?

If you want to hype Carter up and think the Hawks made a huge mistake not taking him and they will suffer because of it, go for it. But it just didn't (and still doesn't) make sense for them to go backwards from last year and take a risky pick because of "need". It's still way too early to even call Carter a generational DT right now, because I'm sure you know there have been TOO many "generational" players in college that have absolutely tanked in the NFL.

Carter hasn't even played a meaningful (regular season) snap yet, not one.

We need guys who are mean and have a nastiness to them, I don't give 2 shits about his supposed character concerns. His talent alone was easily tops in the draft and he's a mauler in the middle and can command double teams routinely and still get in the backfield. Those types of guys don't generally bust out of the NFL and they are very few and far between. You know who is a dime a dozen in the NFL? Injury prone aggressive CB's, and we drafted one in pick #5 which has to be one of the dumbest moves this organization has ever done. It pains me to see how much Pete is talking about the interior D-Line needing help when we passed on the very guy that could have solidified it outright. That pick and the Charbonett pick was absolutely worthless, especially concerns at LB which we could have addressed with Trenton Simpson. McIntosh was picked in round 7 and he was a much better pick than the Charbonett pick. As I am much higher on the talent of Charbonett than I am with Witherspoon it still doesn't make me optimistic about this defense and the glaring hole in the middle of the Line and second level.

Seahawker

Reaction score
We need guys who are mean and have a nastiness to them, I don't give 2 shits about his supposed character concerns. His talent alone was easily tops in the draft and he's a mauler in the middle and can command double teams routinely and still get in the backfield. Those types of guys don't generally bust out of the NFL and they are very few and far between. You know who is a dime a dozen in the NFL? Injury prone aggressive CB's, and we drafted one in pick #5 which has to be one of the dumbest moves this organization has ever done. It pains me to see how much Pete is talking about the interior D-Line needing help when we passed on the very guy that could have solidified it outright. That pick and the Charbonett pick was absolutely worthless, especially concerns at LB which we could have addressed with Trenton Simpson. McIntosh was picked in round 7 and he was a much better pick than the Charbonett pick. As I am much higher on the talent of Charbonett than I am with Witherspoon it still doesn't make me optimistic about this defense and the glaring hole in the middle of the Line and second level.

Download 1

Last edited:

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I agree with the nastiness part but that doesn't mean risking a pick on someone who could absolutely never play a meaningful snap for the team (Once again, see Malik McDowell).

Absolutely everything else I disagree with you.

keasley45

Reaction score

The LOB were about as nasty as you could ask for. And, with the exception of Browner, were all high character guys.

You don't bring A holes on your team just because they're talented.

John's take after sitting with Carter was that he was easy to pass on. Speaks volumes.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score

Same concerns as last week, and last season for that matter, but this time it was all backups except for Michael Jackson for those looking for a silver lining.

Yes, I think they are going to start Michael Jackson and I just don't get it.

Undress your #5 overall pick to send a message that there are no playing favorites. I know Witherspoon is injured, but still. He should be healthy for week 1, yet won't be starting.

pmedic920

Reaction score

I think your overlooking Bobby being back, and Adams in the mix.

Plus I think we’re going to apply better pressure from the edges than last season.

I feel your concerns but don’t think it’s going to near as bad as you’re describing.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
I think your overlooking Bobby being back, and Adams in the mix.

Plus I think we’re going to apply better pressure from the edges than last season.

I feel your concerns but don’t think it’s going to near as bad as you’re describing.

I love me some BWagz but I don't think he's enough to save this defense right now

pmedic920

Reaction score
I love me some BWagz but I don't think he's enough to save this defense right now
He’s probably not, but he’s not the only piece of the puzzle that improved (on paper) what our defense may ultimately be.

My reasoning for being optimistic is, we should have improved on offense significantly (score more points), and we should have improved on defense as well (preventing more points against us).
Those two thing combined should make us a much improved team overall.

I certainly don’t expect Bobby to be the savior of the defense, even if his play isn’t crazy good, his leadership and communication/leadership directing traffic will however be a significant improvement.
Bobby has skills that nobody had last season (IMO).