D Gives Up 17 play TD Drive to Preview Season

Fade

Reaction score
A defense featuring many starters (Nwosu, JReed, Mafe, Michael Jackson, and Devin Bush along with rotational players looked eerily similar to what they looked like last season, while getting carved up by a Dallas squad who played no starters.

If you're not concerned about this after recent history, I don't know what to tell you.

Scout

Reaction score
A lot of the backups received their lumps today and hopefully this was a learning experience.

While the bar may be high it has to be because during a 17 game season it is hard to have all your starters out there. So the backups have to play better and look NFL average when it comes to run defense.

seabowl

Reaction score
I think we are going to miss a guy like Al Woods in the middle.

hawks85

Reaction score
A defense featuring many starters (Nwosu, JReed, Mafe, Michael Jackson, and Devin Bush along with rotational players looked eerily similar to what they looked like last season, while getting carved up by a Dallas squad who played no starters.

If you're not concerned about this after recent history, I don't know what to tell you.
I knew this would happen. It's preseason, chill out. You gotta remember that they are calling extremely vanilla plays. I'm not worried until it's time to worry.

Polk738

Reaction score
Bobby also wasn't out there either, I think he is VERY important to have in the run fits not just for his physical talent but his ability to make sure everyone is lined up and in the right spot, also I think Brooks will be much better as well, when he played with Bobby it's like he was a completely different player rather than when he was paired with Cody Barton. No starting safeties either, they play a HUGE role in the run fits depending on the front they are in, speaking of the fronts they are changing the scheme to be back into more of a single gap front instead of the 2 gapping/gap an half fronts they ran with Woods, Poona and Mone, I would say that is a big reason for not bringing back most of the D-line starters and putting Reed at his more natural position of 1-tech. I don't know what fronts they were running on that drive, Matty Brown will probably do a breakdown of it later in the week so I'll watch it and see what was going on.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's definitely not what we want to see. I have some faith, but I'm not going to get too hyped for the defense until I actually see better results in the regular season. Not gonna put too much stock in one preseason possession.

bileever

Reaction score

I find your takeaway from the first two drives to be interesting. Yes, I found the run defense on Dallas's first drive to be concerning, as you say. But too small a sample size to worry that much. Throughout the game, I didn't see a wide-spread schematic failure that would prompt a concern about the run defense.

On the second drive that resulted in a Dallas TD, most of the failures came on pass plays. Generally, there was enough pressure on the QB, with the failures coming on the back end. But then, we were playing without Woolen, Diggs, Witherspoon and Wagner in coverage, so it wasn't that surprising. Again, it was one drive.

Two three-and-outs by the defense would give you a false sense of security, and unfortunately, the TD drive is giving you a sense of panic. The reality is somewhere in the middle. I suspect that if you went back and looked at the tape, you would feel a lot better.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Making this topic once in the GameDay Chat wasn't enough for you?
Do you mean “Don’t discuss a topic on a message board I don’t want you to discuss since I don’t have the ability to just not click on the thread”?

Weadoption

Reaction score
OP when something good happens in the preseason: "It means nothing, it's the preseason."

OP when something bad happens in the preseason: "IT'S ENDEMIC!!!! WE SUCK!!! WE'RE GOING TO BE CRUSHED THIS YEAR!!!"
it’s almost like you are saying there are cup half full types, and full cup types.
mind blown

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
OP when something good happens in the preseason: "It means nothing, it's the preseason."

OP when something bad happens in the preseason: "IT'S ENDEMIC!!!! WE SUCK!!! WE'RE GOING TO BE CRUSHED THIS YEAR!!!"
I get it. I really do. It's just a pet peeve of mine of people trying to shut down discussion on a ummm discussion board no matter whether I agree with the underlying points or not.

The best forums allow the doom discussions but funnel it to a thread or two so people can express their negative thoughts without it being everywhere. A stickied "2023 DOOM thread" maybe. Otherwise people complain and then others complain about the complainer and complain about those complaining about the complainers.

Oh one last thing. TO ME everything on the game day stays on the game day. I see it as a place to give hot takes as the game goes on in the heat of the moment. "Player X really sucks for giving up that sack" etc. when after the game is over we really know he is a good player. I hate it when people bring the hot takes to the more measured discussion forum and try to "gotcha" people with them.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried if the defense hadn't been awful to start the season every season since about 2019.

Hopefully, Cam Young gets in there and makes a difference. Ditto for Moné. And maybe there will be an unspectacular-but-solid, space-eating nose tackle that another team cuts.

A couple of times, the line got blown off the ball. A couple of times it was like last year, when no one was in position.

NoGain

Reaction score
MB was saying after the game on air that the one noticeable weakness the Hawks have on defense is another big guy up front to plug some gaps. This, of course, feeds into the Jalen Carter debate. LOL The question is where do you find one now? It's probably going to have to be a veteran cast off from another team when final roster cuts get made. I'm sure, or at least hope, the Hawks are ready to pounce if someone somewhat surprising is released.

Latest posts