DB trade?

chrispy

Reaction score
On KJs show they were talking about lack of depth on DLine while having an overcrowded DB room. KJ says Mike Jackson could be off man out since he wasn't drafted by JS and would bring a lot of value.

This makes sense to me but it's hard for me to see PC giving up a starter in a position he highly values. The culture aspect comes into play. Of course, it's a matter of return/cost-benefit. If JS knows JAdams is coming back soon, and they've built in the flexibility it seems, maybe there's potential.

I'm curious who might be a NT or DT (on a team that could spare one) that would be an equitable trade for a starting DB. Is Philly the only team where they have too many DLs to all be on the field?

keasley45

Reaction score
On KJs show they were talking about lack of depth on DLine while having an overcrowded DB room. KJ says Mike Jackson could be off man out since he wasn't drafted by JS and would bring a lot of value.

This makes sense to me but it's hard for me to see PC giving up a starter in a position he highly values. The culture aspect comes into play. Of course, it's a matter of return/cost-benefit. If JS knows JAdams is coming back soon, and they've built in the flexibility it seems, maybe there's potential.

I'm curious who might be a NT or DT (on a team that could spare one) that would be an equitable trade for a starting DB. Is Philly the only team where they have too many DLs to all be on the field?
Started on a thread on the topic of a potential trade partner in Baltimore. They have no healthy starting caliber CB's and perennially groom solid, deep DT's that rate in the top 5 to 10 in the league.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Who are the expendable DB's? Brown, Mike Jack and Bryant?

From Bryant playing so much safety so far this pre-season, it might just be Brown and Jackson. Not sure of the quality you could get back from either of these two.

keasley45

Reaction score
Who are the expendable DB's? Brown, Mike Jack and Bryant?

From Bryant playing so much safety so far this pre-season, it might just be Brown and Jackson. Not sure of the quality you could get back from either of these two.

I think Jackson is the guy they'd move. He's not one of their selections and doesn't have the upside that the others do.

That, and Brown would have far less value as he's just coming off of injury and I think they like Bryant too much.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
KJ said he thought Tre would have limited return, but MJackson would be valuable...in his opinion. A young, starting DB with a year under Pete could be a commodity. To me, the question is how valuable is he and is there a team that has equal expendable value at a position of need....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree with you guys, but I feel like we could just get a depth rotational interior lineman after final cuts just as easily as trading a starting CB, of which would be very risky considering Witherspoon has barely played this camp.

In todays NFL, if there's one universal truth, you really can't have enough good DB's. Nickel and Dime, what like 80% of the time now?

Ozzy

Reaction score
With Witherspoon off to a slow start I doubt they trade anyone but I've been wrong before.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
Once again and I'll die on this horse: Drafting Witherspoon at #5 and skipping on Jalen Carter was one of the absolute dumbest things this Franchise has ever done. CB was not even a remote need and our interior D-Line is shaky at best.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Once again and I'll die on this horse: Drafting Witherspoon at #5 and skipping on Jalen Carter was one of the absolute dumbest things this Franchise has ever done. CB was not even a remote need and our interior D-Line is shaky at best.

You might be right, but shouldn't we wait until year two or three to nail Pete and John to the proverbial cross?

Everyone's hyped in camp, I'm going to need more than just seeing Carter make a play or two without pads or in preseason games against 3rd string lineman.

keasley45

Reaction score
As it stands, they have too many starting caliber DBs on the team for game day and run the risk of their not being enough playing time to go around or, worse, guys not getting consistent enough time to get into the flow of a game.

Conversely on D line, we don't have nearly enough depth and are a sprained calf away from the unit being a major liability.

I get not being certain (injury) on Brown, Adams and to a lesser degree, Spoon, but when you have gold in one mine and pyrite in another, it might be a good idea to at least see what your options are when a team like Baltimore, who has major injury concerns at the position, looks like they *might be willing to surrender more in return to get a reliable starter.

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
You might be right, but shouldn't we wait until year two or three to nail Pete and John to the proverbial cross?

Everyone's hyped in camp, I'm going to need more than just seeing Carter make a play or two without pads or in preseason games against 3rd string lineman.
Absolutely not. The second they drafted Witherspoon it was a clear mistake

keasley45

Reaction score
To show you how desperate Baltimore is, theyre bringing in Ronald Darby for a workout. He was talented, but is coming off of two major injuries and was most recently let go by Denver and cant stay on the field. Now, it could be they're looking at him to temporarliy fill a spot because theyre optimistic theyll have their guys back before too long. But it goes to show how little there is out there in terms of healthy, starting talent.

KinesProf

Reaction score
A surplus of talent of at a high value position is a good problem to have; but between Woolen, Witherspoon, Jackson, Brown, Bryant, Burns, Diggs, Adams, Love, Blount, Reed and Sutherland there just aren't going to be enough snaps to play everyone the amount that their quality deserves.

They are objectively at a surplus of value in the secondary. Mike Jackson would be a reasonably valuable asset in a trade as a big quality player at a valuable position - might be able to get a quality starting DL in return of from a desperate team, or at least a high end backup rotation piece.

Blasphemy, and it would be terrible for vibes/morale and competing this season, but Woolen would get a you a 1st+ in a trade.

Mick063

Reaction score
Baltimore will sign Artie Burns immediately after Seattle lets him go. This is why Baltimore will not make a deal. They don't have to.

keasley45

Reaction score
Right, and we can say the same thing about the dozen or so D-linemen that are going to be released post camp.
A trade typically involves a player of greater ability / value. Sure, players will be cut, but a team like Baltimore isnt looking for a dime CB. Theyre looking for someone to start.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Absolutely not. The second they drafted Witherspoon it was a clear mistake
Well apparently the front office doesnt share the same opinion as you. you spout this opinion without any substance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A trade typically involves a player of greater ability / value. Sure, players will be cut, but a team like Baltimore isnt looking for a dime CB. Theyre looking for someone to start.

You don't think there will be some quality starting CB's being cut for salary, depth, etc?

I'm not saying this is a terrible idea, I'm just saying I don't agree that we have some embarrassment of riches at the DB spot. IMO until Witherspoon proves he's an NFL caliber starting CB, we need Mike Jack. Cause I'm sure as hell not trusting Brown to play opposite Woolen. His ass is gonna get picked on EVERY game.