DB trade?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Thinking it was a mistake to draft Witherspoon over Carter is a perfectly legitimate opinion. But it's also correct to understand that Pete & John didn't see it that way. I was in the camp that wanted to draft Carter, and my immediate reaction to the pick #5 announcement was that it was a mistake. But I got solidly behind the Witherspoon pick, and promised myself that I would never second-guess that decision.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
You don't think there will be some quality starting CB's being cut for salary, depth, etc?

I'm not saying this is a terrible idea, I'm just saying I don't agree that we have some embarrassment of riches at the DB spot. IMO until Witherspoon proves he's an NFL caliber starting CB, we need Mike Jack. Cause I'm sure as hell not trusting Brown to play opposite Woolen. His ass is gonna get picked on EVERY game.
I tend to agree with this. I think Tre Brown might have some value for a needy team, but I'd prefer not lose MJ right now.

Not sure what "not being a JS player means". He's on the team, which makes him a JS player.

keasley45

Reaction score
You don't think there will be some quality starting CB's being cut for salary, depth, etc?

I'm not saying this is a terrible idea, I'm just saying I don't agree that we have some embarrassment of riches at the DB spot. IMO until Witherspoon proves he's an NFL caliber starting CB, we need Mike Jack. Cause I'm sure as hell not trusting Brown to play opposite Woolen. His ass is gonna get picked on EVERY game.
I trust that John and Pete know whats up. Pete calls the DB group the deepest and most talented hes seen. To me, that speaks volumes.
Brown - i think hes getting beat on some for an up and down preseason showing. During his rookie year, he was statistically epeaking, the top rated corner in the league in a few categories. Unless his knee keeps him from playing well, i dont see why he woukdnt be outstanding again.

Can we find starting caliber talent at cb on cutdown day? How often does that happen? Again, my trade scenario involves a team looking for quality starting level play in Baltimore. Can you find nickel guy? Maybe. But a number two? Those guys stick on rosters. And jackson has EXACTLY the skillset and makeup a team like Baltimore covets.

Just sayin, Baltimore is currently carrying 7 DTs. They might be willing to let go a #3 guy on their line (likely a #2 on anyone elses) with so many bodies at the position. Or, we could wait for them to cut their #7 guy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I trust that John and Pete know whats up. Pete calls the DB group the deepest and most talented hes seen. To me, that speaks volumes.
Brown - i think hes getting beat on some for an up and down preseason showing. During his rookie year, he was statistically epeaking, the top rated corner in the league in a few categories. Unless his knee keeps him from playing well, i dont see why he woukdnt be outstanding again.

Can we find starting caliber talent at cb on cutdown day? How often does that happen? Again, my trade scenario involves a team looking for quality starting level play in Baltimore. Can you find nickel guy? Maybe. But a number two? Those guys stick on rosters. And jackson has EXACTLY the skillset and makeup a team like Baltimore covets.

Just sayin, Baltimore is currently carrying 7 DTs. They might be willing to let go a #3 guy on their line (likely a #2 on anyone elses) with so many bodies at the position. Or, we could wait for them to cut their #7 guy.

I think Pete's just fine with going into the regular season with Mone and the young guys like Morris, Young and Sykes as depth in the interior.

If we're talking SERIOUS position of depth need, I'm far more worried bout inside LB than DT. Because right now we're counting on a 33 year old Wagner to remain upright and productive for 17 games.

If he gets dinged up you're looking at Rhattigan as your starting Mike LB? Dude's slow as hell and gets washed every play. Awful lot of faith that Brooks is coming back 100% sooner than later? Idk.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I think Pete's just fine with going into the regular season with Mone and the young guys like Morris, Young and Sykes as depth in the interior.

If we're talking SERIOUS position of depth need, I'm far more worried bout inside LB than DT. Because right now we're counting on a 33 year old Wagner to remain upright and productive for 17 games.

If he gets dinged up you're looking at Rhattigan as your starting Mike LB? Dude's slow as hell and gets washed every play. Awful lot of faith that Brooks is coming back 100% sooner than later? Idk.
Hard to imagine, but we'd be worse off with Rhatigan than Barton.

Love CB on special teams, but in D...he was always running after someone rather than to someone.

keasley45

Reaction score

Are you writing off D Bush?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Are you writing off D Bush?

Right now Bush is the other starting inside backer isn't he? He's not depth.

That's what I'm saying, are we hoping Brooks comes back to regain his starting position over Bush, and as we found out last year he didn't do well as Bobby's Mike LB replacement.

My point is if we're talking depth position of need because we didn't draft an inside LB? It's that position, not DT, we drafted dudes to develop there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You might be right, but shouldn't we wait until year two or three to nail Pete and John to the proverbial cross?

Everyone's hyped in camp, I'm going to need more than just seeing Carter make a play or two without pads or in preseason games against 3rd string lineman.
Even if he is right from an on field perspective it doesn't mean he would've been a huge success here. Maybe Philly is the perfect place for him to be to excel and here wasn't. There were so many red flags from literally everyone around the league that even if Carter becomes the next Warren Sapp I still respect the process. The process used to draft Carter has failed them in the past.

NoGain

Reaction score
Absolutely not. The second they drafted Witherspoon it was a clear mistake
If Witherspoon ends up being a long time starter and Pro Bowl caliber DB, then I don't see how one could say the pick was a mistake. I don't know if this will turn out to be the case or not. It's going to take a few years to find out. But in today's pass-happy NFL, edge rushers and strong cover guys are the most important players on your D.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if he is right from an on field perspective it doesn't mean he would've been a huge success here. Maybe Philly is the perfect place for him to be to excel and here wasn't. There were so many red flags from literally everyone around the league that even if Carter becomes the next Warren Sapp I still respect the process. The process used to draft Carter has failed them in the past.

I agree. I can't think of a better place for Carter to be than Philly with Graham, Cox and Davis.

In comparison, I also think this is a great place for Witherspoon to be. Who develops CB's better than the Hawks?

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Thinking it was a mistake to draft Witherspoon over Carter is a perfectly legitimate opinion. But it's also correct to understand that Pete & John didn't see it that way. I was in the camp that wanted to draft Carter, and my immediate reaction to the pick #5 announcement was that it was a mistake. But I got solidly behind the Witherspoon pick, and promised myself that I would never second-guess that decision.
Dude I get it. You were expecting someone else when they drafted a position they didn't necessarily need. I m not the biggest fan of it either. Specially since it pushed out Bryant and Brown. Two players who have actual experience doing it already.

The weakness of the d is the defensive line. Not edge rushers, not ilbs, just hand in the dirt big guys. In a traditional 34 these are supposed to be the best guys on the defense, because the are already outnumbered at the line of scrimmage.

I'm going to assume we will get gashed by the run-middle to outside of tackles, then we will give up the middle of the field to the passes, with occasional quick passes to the outside because Pete loves soft coverage. As it has been for several years. Our line backers have never really been good in coverage. Not even Bobby.

Jalen Carter would not make that much of a difference on this team. But I'm not sure Witherspoon will either if he can't beat out Mike Jack.

OP
OP
chrispy

chrispy

Reaction score
I don't immediately recall any recent big trades in pre-season.... Someone with better brain plasticity: any examples that are relevant?

Was Hollister:TE a pre-season trade?

Would it be more likely for Baltimore (or other trade partners) to go through 1 or both remaining pre-season games to judge what they have? ...or bring in a traded player asap to indoctrinate?

It seems to me, just my gut, that next week might be the sweet spot on timing and if nothing then, maybe week 3+/-.

keasley45

Reaction score
Right now Bush is the other starting inside backer isn't he? He's not depth.

That's what I'm saying, are we hoping Brooks comes back to regain his starting position over Bush, and as we found out last year he didn't do well as Bobby's Mike LB replacement.

My point is if we're talking depth position of need because we didn't draft an inside LB? It's that position, not DT, we drafted dudes to develop there.

Brooks is back and will start, im pretty sure. Bush will push him and theyll be challenged to otherwise find a way to get him on the field. So if either Bobby or Brooks go down, Bush is there before Rattigan.

Regarding any potential trade.. we'll see. There are pros and cons either way. There's an eternity between now and week 1 for things to shake out.

keasley45

Reaction score
I agree. I can't think of a better place for Carter to be than Philly with Graham, Cox and Davis.

In comparison, I also think this is a great place for Witherspoon to be. Who develops CB's better than the Hawks?
Agree. Carter isnt a fit for this place in terms of culture and ethos. Same way Su wasnt, Trent Williams isnt, etcx etc. I dont think a guy like Carter would buy in here at all. He's cut from a different cloth. The guys that buy into Petes way... they live it and breathe it. No sense in bringing in all world talent if the player becomes a malcontent and erodes lockerroom unity. By all accounts, philly's culture is more... 'traditional' football than ours. There, Carter has guardrails in the personalities and leaderhsip already on the squad and leading the culture to keep him in line. He's a young pup there. Here, he'd be a big dog. A bid dog liable to snap at the person giving him his kibble.

Some guys can walk the peaceful path and kick ass. Others need to to be close to the fire and are drawn to the 'less peaceful' aspects of the game. I see Carter as the latter. No knock on him, nor is it a knock on Pete and John. There's just a player profile that fits here in Seattle. Cam, Red Bryant, Clem, Cliff, KJ, Bobby, Sherm, ET, ADB, Beast Mode... all bad asses. All peaceful warriors and also family first, brother's keeper types. Not all football players are cut that way.

Last edited:

Shaz Magoon

Reaction score
If Witherspoon ends up being a long time starter and Pro Bowl caliber DB, then I don't see how one could say the pick was a mistake. I don't know if this will turn out to be the case or not. It's going to take a few years to find out. But in today's pass-happy NFL, edge rushers and strong cover guys are the most important players on your D.

I won't hold my breath on either of those happening given he's already injury prone with hamstring issues

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We often seem to have depth in the preseason at some position we later need help in.

Remember 2018 preseason WRs? (2018? 2019?)

We had:
Doug Baldwin
Tyler Lockett
Brandon Marshall
Jaron Brown
Darboh (can't remember his first name)
Stringfellow

Remember we were so thick at WR then because Darboh and Brown were so promising in the preseason?
(I remember we were excited about Stringfellow too.)
Later we were scrambling trying to make it work with David Moore....

No way.

I don't want to trade our CBs to 'fix' our DL or LBs (ie improve from middling to mediocre). You never have enough depth until you actually test that depth against regular-season teams.

And for god sake, we literally lost 2 freaking SBs almost directly due to lack of depth in the secondary.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Once again and I'll die on this horse: Drafting Witherspoon at #5 and skipping on Jalen Carter was one of the absolute dumbest things this Franchise has ever done. CB was not even a remote need and our interior D-Line is shaky at best.

I get it, you are a superior personnel man. But have you not got past the maturity phase where you learn to tone down the hyperbole on what are essentially opinions.

Charbonnet is a waste of a pick.
Passing on Jalen Carter is one of the absolute dumbest things

C'mon man. Let these guys develop before being so negative.

Xxx

Reaction score
On KJs show they were talking about lack of depth on DLine while having an overcrowded DB room. KJ says Mike Jackson could be off man out since he wasn't drafted by JS and would bring a lot of value.

This makes sense to me but it's hard for me to see PC giving up a starter in a position he highly values. The culture aspect comes into play. Of course, it's a matter of return/cost-benefit. If JS knows JAdams is coming back soon, and they've built in the flexibility it seems, maybe there's potential.

I'm curious who might be a NT or DT (on a team that could spare one) that would be an equitable trade for a starting DB. Is Philly the only team where they have too many DLs to all be on the field?
We’re past the trade deadline so how do they pull that off

Xxx

Reaction score
We often seem to have depth in the preseason at some position we later need help in.

Remember 2018 preseason WRs? (2018? 2019?)

We had:
Doug Baldwin
Tyler Lockett
Brandon Marshall
Jaron Brown
Darboh (can't remember his first name)
Stringfellow

Remember we were so thick at WR then because Darboh and Brown were so promising in the preseason?
(I remember we were excited about Stringfellow too.)
Later we were scrambling trying to make it work with David Moore....

No way.

I don't want to trade our CBs to 'fix' our DL or LBs (ie improve from middling to mediocre). You never have enough depth until you actually test that depth against regular-season teams.

And for god sake, we literally lost 2 freaking SBs almost directly due to lack of depth in the secondary.
Amari darboh