DeeJay Dallas

Elemas

Reaction score
Wouldn't want him as a main but for a first game? There's promise.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Deejay did an excellent job. The 9ers were the 10th ranked rushing defense entering this game.

sutz

Reaction score
Rookie running backs have to learn that running lanes in the pro game tend to be smaller than college, thus the "timidity."

I'll be looking forward to his future development.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TypeSly":1wi4bru2 said:
jamescasey1124":1wi4bru2 said:
Omg. All these not good in between the tackles responses. You guys are horrible. Dont reply if you didn't watch every single play he had. Even mark schlereth said it....said dallas keeps turning his legs and doesnt go down easy. What the hell are you guys watching?

On that one play where he carried a few defenders, yes. He came through at important times in the game, which is why the numbers don't tell the wthole story in his first start.

Having said that, I'd have to agree that he does go down a little too easy. He generally doesn't shake off first contact on his runs.

Name me someone who does? Besides lynch, besides carson. I'll wait. No one in the league. Accept Kamara but he makes people miss more.

Your expectations are too high and you need to come back down to earth.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
There are lots of running back that will have bad stats trying to run up the middle vs the SF D front. Especially guys like Homer and Dallas. All things considered Dallas turned in a credible performance today. Happy for him getting a couple notches on his NFL TD stick. He also bought us some much needed time to get hour main horses back in the race. Dallas is a valuable guy to have on the roster. He will get better and better.

TypeSly

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":1q53hg54 said:
TypeSly":1q53hg54 said:
jamescasey1124":1q53hg54 said:
Omg. All these not good in between the tackles responses. You guys are horrible. Dont reply if you didn't watch every single play he had. Even mark schlereth said it....said dallas keeps turning his legs and doesnt go down easy. What the hell are you guys watching?

On that one play where he carried a few defenders, yes. He came through at important times in the game, which is why the numbers don't tell the wthole story in his first start.

Having said that, I'd have to agree that he does go down a little too easy. He generally doesn't shake off first contact on his runs.

Name me someone who does? Besides lynch, besides carson. I'll wait. No one in the league. Accept Kamara but he makes people miss more.

Well, you're naming RB's that shake off 3rd and 4th defender touches. I thought he had a good game, but I'd like to see him shake off a few defenders once in a while. That would be the only point that I would agree with the poster that you were disagreeing with.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3nwojj4l said:
IndyHawk":3nwojj4l said:
He had two TD's but that doesn't blind me to the
fact he isn't that good,I don't want to ever see him
starting and don't care if he never gets another carry.
He has a long way to go to be good.I know it's cold
and it's not his fault he had to start.I will say that I'm
happy he didn't turn the rock over.

Youre entitled to your take, but this is very harsh imo.

Hes a 4th Round rookie thrust into the starting lineup vs a really good defense and one of the best front sevens in the league despite the injuries.
He didn't have a lot of holes to run through.

He has a long way to go for sure, but he did what was asked of him and I'm glad he's on our team.
Fair enough..It could have been much worse so for one game
he did ok.
I'll be happy to have Collins and Penny back so this doesn't
happen again.

samwize77

Reaction score
and hey...what if Pete told him to take it easy?...DON'T force things and don't try to hard to fight through tackles.....ball security first! CC has had a problem with this in the past...teach the young kid right!!

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Decent first game. He made some plays, he didn't turn the ball over. For a 4th round pick that was way down the depth chart, not expecting to start this season, he did okay. Not every low round pick turns into a Chris Carson.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Better than Penny’s first game of 7 carries for 8 yards and 4 catches for 35 yards. And didn’t cost us a 1st round pick.

It’s a start.

BTW I still can’t figure out why PC never gets between the tackle backup. Every single one seems like an around the end RB that is a receiving threat.

chris98251

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":y6fthtcn said:
Better than Penny’s first game of 7 carries for 8 yards and 4 catches for 35 yards. And didn’t cost us a 1st round pick.

It’s a start.

BTW I still can’t figure out why PC never gets between the tackle backup. Every single one seems like an around the end RB that is a receiving threat.

He has, Hyde and now Collins, Penny on IR.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2obti06o said:
...You guys are horrible. Dont reply if you didn't watch every single play he had. Even mark schlereth said it....said dallas keeps turning his legs and doesnt go down easy. What the hell are you guys watching?

Nominated for stupid post of the night. “Don’t post if you don’t agree with me you horrible blind idiots.” Perhaps you should go yell in a canyon and just enjoy your own echo.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He was terrible.

But it doesn't mean he IS terrible.

Way too much dancing at the lines, hesitant, and giving you 2 yds a carry.

Ick.

Even worse was his blocking, which allowed big hits on Wilson that never should have happened.

Not his fault though, never should have put him in those situations.

He does catch the ball though. As a receiver, he is decent though kind of worthless on YAC because again, he is hesitant and slows down before contact. Decent at getting open and tracking the ball. Moving back to his QB. So there is something to work with...but we need Homer in on the pass plays, he is a nightmare in there blocking.

Though usually rookies struggle with pass pro....Homer is an exception.

My worry is we see him again against a team that isn't as much of a Mash unit. Just because it works against the beat up 49ers team does not mean it is a good policy to repeat.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I don't want to dog on him because its his first time starting but he left a lot out there today. I got a lot of Robert Turbin vibes minus the biceps. Slow to the hole, not much power to drive through, seemed to get him self washed out of plays. That one screen he had would have been a massive gain for Carson and he ran straight into a tackle with blockers ahead. He also seemed to run the wrong play a handful of times, noticed Russell was confused why his RB wasn't where he should have been. He will need to spend some time in the weight room this offseason too.

He did score twice which is great and seeing NFL speed for the first time is probably pretty eye opening. 49ers have one of the faster front 7's in the NFL so pretty challenging first gig. I'm sure the coaches will have a lot of film for him to look at. He seemed genuinely happy for the opportunity.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Dallas did well tonight so long as you consider that he is a rookie third down RB thrust into the starting role in week 7.

The bit about him breaking tackles seems misguided. If Dallas develops well he'll be an excellent third down back who can pass protect, be a receiving threat out of the backfield, and dangerous in space. Despite his miscue last week, Dallas was one of the best pass protectors among his RB draft class and he has excellent hands due to his background as a receiver. He's another shot at a Washington/Harvin/Prosise type and not a Carson replacement or competition.

Also, go watch some of Derrick Henry's rookie season if you want to see what a monstrous difference there is between a guy who is trying to learn an NFL offense and hang onto the football, and the same back who feels comfortable enough to just play fast and not overthink things. I know everybody wants to be the first to predict the future but it's much more honest to realize we don't know what it looks like for these young players yet.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TypeSly":3p2zd3ol said:
jamescasey1124":3p2zd3ol said:
TypeSly":3p2zd3ol said:
jamescasey1124":3p2zd3ol said:

Well, you're naming RB's that shake off 3rd and 4th defender touches. I thought he had a good game, but I'd like to see him shake off a few defenders once in a while. That would be the only point that I would agree with the poster that you were disagreeing with.

What are you talking about? The guy who made this post said dallas had a good game. I didnt disagree with him, but people who have to shit on somebodys playing time like he is not human and cant improve.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Do NFL defenses say, "hey, that's the late round rookie in the backfield. Let's dial it down a bit for him?" No? Then why take it easy rating him because of those reasons?

He was objectively awful. Timid. Went down easy. He was absolutely atrocious near the goal line including his worst read, of several bad reads, of the game, when he tried to bounce it outside, instead of trusting and following his blockers, and lost big yardage.

He missed the play call on multiple occasions, including 2 which resulted in big hits on Russ (one missed pass pro assignment, one at the goal line that forced Russ to try and run for it himself.

He had Christine Michael's head, without his speed, and, thankfully without his fumbling problem.

Is it possible that Pete's primary instruction to him was, "don't get hurt?" Possibly, and that would explain a lot. But that doesn't sound like Pete.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
bigskydoc":17aewzgs said:
Do NFL defenses say, "hey, that's the late round rookie in the backfield. Let's dial it down a bit for him?" No? Then why take it easy rating him because of those reasons?

He was objectively awful. Timid. Went down easy. He was absolutely atrocious near the goal line including his worst read, of several bad reads, of the game, when he tried to bounce it outside, instead of trusting and following his blockers, and lost big yardage.

He missed the play call on multiple occasions, including 2 which resulted in big hits on Russ (one missed pass pro assignment, one at the goal line that forced Russ to try and run for it himself.

He had Christine Michael's head, without his speed, and, thankfully without his fumbling problem.

Is it possible that Pete's primary instruction to him was, "don't get hurt?" Possibly, and that would explain a lot. But that doesn't sound like Pete.

Negative. Timid? I'm tired of hearing this word. I highly doubt he is scared. You would be out there, but not him. He is fine. He missed exactly no blocks that got russ killed. Russ did that to himself twice today which is unusual. They play at the goal line where russ took off was because it was a missed call not missed pass pro. He was literally blocking his guy while russ was trying to hand him the ball. He doesnt hit the hole immediately, but he will. The rb coach needs to stress gap schemes on certain types of runs with him. So then he knows exactly where to go. Not bad for a reciever though.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2vdb1qn5 said:

Derrick Henry
Raheem Mostert
Nick Chubb
Christian McCaffery
Leonard Fournier
Saquon Barkley
Dalvin Cook
Matt Breida