Desmond Ridder Visits Seahawks

Boohman14

Reaction score
I'm hoping we don't reach for a QB. I like Ridder the most in this draft but I'm hoping if we draft him it's in the third round or lower. I seriously doubt he will be on the board that long.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
I have a hunch this is our FO playing games with Cleveland. Not knocking Ridder at all, he was fun to watch, but I think Mayfield is probably our top target.

I have mixed emotions about Baker. He could just continue to be an asshat or he just might pull his head out and set the league afire. He definitely has that talent...but does he have it upstairs? So far, not so much.

I could see giving the Browns a late rd pick just so they can save face. But they'd also have to eat a chunk of his salary. But no matter what happens, I'm hopeful we draft linemen this year (or CB) and select one of the top QBs in next years draft. And that's even IF Mayfield sets the league afire in 2022.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I don’t mind baker, I think frankly he’s been fed up with the browns bs for a while. They’re overall a shit team and have done jack shit

AgentDib

Reaction score
The thing I like about taking one of the high upside QB prospects like Ridder on day 2 is that we have a decent bridge QB in Lock (and possibly Geno). It's not like we are going to be super competitive anyway with the amount of dead money we are burning this season, so there's plenty of time to let a rookie QB develop and compete for playing time when they are ready.

That doesn't prevent us from drafting Stroud next year if we are in position to do so and we really like him. Although trading down in 2022 and picking up more draft capital in 2023 would make that easier.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm starting to think they trade down and grab a QB later in the 1st round. Hoping they actually take a LT, CB or DE with the #9 pick. But, nothing would surprise me w/these guys.

Rat

Reaction score
Hoping they actually take a LT, CB or DE with the #9 pick.
LT and DE are bigger needs and more important positions than CB IMO, but I'm seeing a lot of mock draft scenarios where Derek Stingley, Jr is by far the best player available at our slot.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think we are going to blow it by trading BOTH our seconds for a mid to late first and grabbing a QB. It would be stupid but seems likely.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
We are going to have a hard time going from Wilson to anyone.

So the next QB probably is almost set up to fail. Few QBs will live up to a HOF. Especially when those comebacks in the 4th don't happen anymore and the blame starts to get pinned on the QB.

I think Malik is the best fit for how Pete wants to play (run around, duck & chuck type of football) - and I don't think Pete has the ability or the pieces to build around another QB at his age. But Willis likely isn't falling to #9 and if he does, not sure we will be at #9 by then.

This guy might fall a bit further, so maybe he becomes a stop gap as a late 1st round pick. He might go earlier but he doesn't look like more than a late 1st right now.
Malik isn't a fit for anything but failure. The best he can hope for is floating around the league as back up for a few years. Ridder has some pretty glaring accuracy issues that would preclude me from drafting him in any round. I dont believe in picking a guy believing you can change their mechanics and improve their accuracy once they get to the NFL, they are either accurate or they aren't.

Last edited:

nanomoz

Reaction score
I don't think any QB in this class should start in their first season. There's a good chance it'd negatively impact their odds of success.

That said, if Ridder were there at #40? It's not crazy to consider that maybe the brass thinks his weaknesses are coachable.

He's got the talent. No doubting that. Mechanics could fix his erratic accuracy. Worked for Josh Allen. He was horrendously inaccurate.

And almost all QBs coming out have awful, awful mechanics nowadays. Coaches at the college level don't seem to worry about it.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think any QB in this class should start in their first season. There's a good chance it'd negatively impact their odds of success.

That said, if Ridder were there at #40? It's not crazy to consider that maybe the brass thinks his weaknesses are coachable.

He's got the talent. No doubting that. Mechanics could fix his erratic accuracy. Worked for Josh Allen. He was horrendously inaccurate.

And almost all QBs coming out have awful, awful mechanics nowadays. Coaches at the college level don't seem to worry about it.

If his weaknesses are coachable, why not take him higher? If it's a gamble, then maybe taking someone else with our picks...

nanomoz

Reaction score
If his weaknesses are coachable, why not take him higher? If it's a gamble, then maybe taking someone else with our picks...
Because then he'll be expected to start and he's absolutely not ready.

Reactions: Rat

HawkDabz

Reaction score
I think it would make sense to get him or the best they can of a qb at the very end of round 1 so they can get a 5th year option. Guarantee 5th year option is cheaper on a QB if he works out.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I don't think Ridder is the best candidate for our system. I like Corral for that, but I think Ridder may be the best option available to us at the pick spot we might use for a QB. I'm expecting Willis will be off the board by pick #6 and I'm hoping our first pick will be for the best OT on the board.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Because then he'll be expected to start and he's absolutely not ready.

True. But if he's a gamble, then do you actually pull the trigger in the 2nd for someone like that at all?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Ryder. Rents. Trucks.
Ridder. Reads. Defenses.

Matty F. Brown's breakdown of Ridder was interesting to see. He showed Ridder's anticipation and thought process. Ridder is tall enough to see the field and I think his reading/processing skills translate well to the NFL. Definitely we'd see some throws in the middle of the field against 2-High shell looks.

I'm going to call it: Hawks take Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati, with 1st round pick. Now I have NO IDEA which pick number it will be, maybe trade down to #15 and get more picks, or whatever, but I think Pete and John and Waldron love with this guy and that he's a great fit in Seattle. Pittsburgh, I think, loves him too and will try to jump up the board to get him. I think the Seahawks like Ridder over Malik Willis and everybody else, just like they had Russell Wilson rated with a similar grade to Andrew Luck. Ridder for sure has some of that "It" factor to him. Meantime, PC/JS will be throwing up smoke screens to disguise their intent, feinting towards Willis and Matt Corral.

EDIT: Of course I'll be wrong. I have no idea what the Seahawks will do. They can use this season to load up on draft picks who overperform their contract, which was part of the winning formula for the SB years. If they do like Ridder, and see him as a 1st round talent, I'd think they'd take him as far down in the 1st round as possible, to get that 5th year option. Ridder does have some accuracy-consistency issues. However, he's shown steady improvement each year of college. His work habits and reputation suggest he'd continue that improvement trajectory in the pros. I can see why some would project him to need a couple years of clipboard seasoning before becoming a starter. If the Hawks did take him, the QB competition would be fascinating to watch and certainly be an active topic here.

Last edited:

Atradees

Reaction score
I want a guy with a quick release and good accuracy. He has to be tall enough to see. I got tired of all the plays in the dirt. I like both Corral and Ridder. It speaks volumes to me that Ridder got cincinnati to the playoffs. I love Mac Jones of the Pats.

Last edited:

Latest posts