Did John Schneider pull a fast one on the Jets

cosmo40

Reaction score
Many on this board thought we may have over payed for jamal Adams, hard argue we didn't, but comming out this last weekend of a very muddled college season. Looking like SEC and ACC and with Big 12 sitting squarely on fence on season with a slight lean to cancel or postpone. With 12-14 school presidents (only ohio state and michigan voted for season) voted to cancel or postpone season to spring, oh by the way pac 12 will follow big ten's lead. So its likely 2 of power 5 conferences will play in fall. The NFL has already declared it will not reschedule next year combine and draft to acomidate if there is spring football. so those teams that do play spring football the players would have to wait for 2022 draft.

So next year the Ny jets will have late 20's, 31 or 32 pick, but next years draft will be so watered down with 2 or 3 conferences of the power 5 not eligable for draft. The late 1st pick would actually be a late 2nd or 3rd in any other regular draft.

So the 1st round 2021 pick they traded away is actually a 2nd or 3rd, and their 3rd round they traded would be actually a 5th So i think in actual John Schneider knew this would happen to college in their cancellation or postpone of 2020 season . Meaning seahawks maybe did not overpay.

sdog1981

Reaction score
In the sense that the 2021 and 2022 draft classes could be a complete crap shoot due to the amount of football these players will miss.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Joe Burrow tweeted that if they had shut down 2019, he would be looking for a job right now. You never know who will.make the jump, and who falls from year to year.

Maulbert

Reaction score
CPHawk":2vpy2jj7 said:
Joe Burrow tweeted that if they had shut down 2019, he would be looking for a job right now. You never know who will.make the jump, and who falls from year to year.

He's not wrong. Burrow would've been lucky to be picked in the 7th round before last season. His numbers were pedestrian at best.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
cosmo40":3pgq9dge said:
The NFL has already declared it will not reschedule next year combine and draft to acomidate if there is spring football. so those teams that do play spring football the players would have to wait for 2022 draft.

Im not sure I read that as those players that would be playing in the spring aren’t draft eligible. I don’t see any reason why someone playing a game in the Big10 couldn’t conceivably be drafted at the same time they were playing a game.

xray

Reaction score
Maybe he felt jinxed with the 1st round picks of late that he figured , wtf, I'll pass my luck to the Jets . it still might be expensive depending who the Jets pick . Crap shoot to me . :D

Maulbert

Reaction score
xray":3c1a0hf8 said:
Maybe he felt jinxed with the 1st round picks of late that he figured , wtf, I'll pass my luck to the Jets . it still might be expensive depending who the Jets pick . Crap shoot to me . :D

Actually, not terrible logic, bizarrely. Consider the Hawks dealt the 30th pick last year to the Giants for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th, which eventually led to Marquise Blair, Ugo Amadi, and Ben Burr-Kirven. Who did the Giants take? DeAndre Baker.

Yes, THAT DeAndre Baker.

chris98251

Reaction score
Many of us discussed the fact scouting and teams even able to play this coming season is going to make the draft a roulette wheel in many instances, for the next two years maybe getting a middle aged player that's proven or a young guy that is ready to break thru that has been scouted may be a smarter tactic.

It will require better cap management since they won't be on rookie deals however.

Teahawks

Reaction score
The first fifteen picks in any draft are basically known league wide. Seahawks have stated as much. They clearly view late first rounders all the way to late second rounders in the same category. You could have taken any of their top 64 picks these last two years and made them interchangeable where they were drafted. E.g. Metcalf could have gone where Collier did and vice versa.

Financially, first rounders aren't cheap even at that spot. Maybe they saw that one day they'd be extending several guys they have now and can't afford the picks that high?

So you get Adams, shed a little cap (that you'll use to extend him), still have your second rounders that you view the same way.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The value of 1st round picks next year has dropped drastically. I was find with what they gave up and thought it was a pretty fair trade. Now i think we got pretty lucky.

This move also makes me think finding a way to keep Clowney on a two or three year deal would be a wise move as we are not going to be able to load up on DE in the upcoming draft.

Elemas

Reaction score
Even without Covid, I think we got the better of the deal. Late rounders...our early round draft history (ET was a LONG time ago folks), PCs schemes requiring boss safeties, etc.

Jets were in a bind too. As much as they deny it, Adam's did talk his way out.

Now, add in what you posted. Very happy with the move.

Will miss McDougald though. He seemed like a great guy.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Elemas":1dqyvii4 said:
Even without Covid, I think we got the better of the deal. Late rounders...our early round draft history (ET was a LONG time ago folks), PCs schemes requiring boss safeties, etc.

McDougald is a great 3rd safety. He was never a stud, though.

Own The West

Reaction score
Maulbert":eus650xh said:
Actually, not terrible logic, bizarrely. Consider the Hawks dealt the 30th pick last year to the Giants for a 2nd, 4th, and 5th, which eventually led to Marquise Blair, Ugo Amadi, and Ben Burr-Kirven. Who did the Giants take? DeAndre Baker.

Yes, THAT DeAndre Baker.

This is factoid made my quarantine. :)

Atradees

Reaction score
Its the Jets. They just needed to save face. Getting those picks allowed them to get rid of Adams and to save face. They really had no choice. They are not gonna get equal talent for those three picks. Us? We are 18 to 1 odds to win the superbowl. I like those odds all of a sudden.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There will still be some great players coming out of the 2021 draft but teams will have an even tougher time than usual identifying them. The draft value chart will go out the window and teams will try to load up on cheap late round picks/UDFA. They'll want to take a look at guys in training camp before making a significant investment in them.

The Jamal Adams trade should look great in hindsight, but our decision to forgo comp picks next year will seem questionable.

poly1274

Reaction score
Maulbert":zglce7de said:
Elemas":zglce7de said:

McDougald is a great 3rd safety. He was never a stud, though.

Are you sure about that? There was an article saying that when McDougald and Earl, or McDougald and Diggs, McDougald was a great safety.

I know McDougald and Blair or Hill was terrible.

poly1274

Reaction score
cosmo40":1mwm4iwp said:
Many on this board thought we may have over payed for jamal Adams, hard argue we didn't, but comming out this last weekend of a very muddled college season. Looking like SEC and ACC and with Big 12 sitting squarely on fence on season with a slight lean to cancel or postpone. With 12-14 school presidents (only ohio state and michigan voted for season) voted to cancel or postpone season to spring, oh by the way pac 12 will follow big ten's lead. So its likely 2 of power 5 conferences will play in fall. The NFL has already declared it will not reschedule next year combine and draft to acomidate if there is spring football. so those teams that do play spring football the players would have to wait for 2022 draft.

So next year the Ny jets will have late 20's, 31 or 32 pick, but next years draft will be so watered down with 2 or 3 conferences of the power 5 not eligable for draft. The late 1st pick would actually be a late 2nd or 3rd in any other regular draft.

So the 1st round 2021 pick they traded away is actually a 2nd or 3rd, and their 3rd round they traded would be actually a 5th So i think in actual John Schneider knew this would happen to college in their cancellation or postpone of 2020 season . Meaning seahawks maybe did not overpay.

If they don't play a full season for NFL season this year, there won't be a 2021 draft anyways.

And you also forgot 2022 1st round pick as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They added a generational talent, love the move. And the OP makes some very good points about the draft and the crap shoot that it likely will be.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I made this point when all the handwringing about the 2 first round picks was happening, pointing out it would a stretch to even call it 1.5 first round picks since the chance of these being 'real' 1st round picks was near zero.

1st round picks primarily fall in that round because reduced risk. Because of the uncertainty, and because 1st round picks that would have dropped will stay (and picks that would have moved into the first round will remain in the lower rounds), these are not really typical 1st round picks.

You might still get a 1st round pick with your 1st, but that is more serendipity or luck at this point. I expect if you tried to trade out of the draft you would find a 3rd this year might get you a 5th next. There is no way a 1st should have been valued this year vs traditionally.

That was assuming there was going to be a CFB season, but with conferences just playing among themselves with limited competition. If the season literally does not happen?

In that case, if you were going to trade a #1, this was the year to do it. A 1st rounder this year would likely have the same risk/uncertainty as a 3rd rounder in a typical year.