Did John Schneider pull a fast one on the Jets

mikeak

Reaction score
I don't think the idea that this NFL season doesn't get played or at least doesn't get finished shouldn't be discarded either. Expensive trade if one game gets played and then Adams sits out next season

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Wenhawk":2vmv031p said:
The value of 1st round picks next year has dropped drastically. I was find with what they gave up and thought it was a pretty fair trade. Now i think we got pretty lucky.

This move also makes me think finding a way to keep Clowney on a two or three year deal would be a wise move as we are not going to be able to load up on DE in the upcoming draft.

:2thumbs:

McDougald waaay outperformed the credit he got for it.

We essentially gave up 4 potentially good players for Adams. The covid has had the effect of devaluing draft picks, so hopefully that works out in our favor. It seems very likely Adams is a known value as an impact player, while we don't know what might have happened with draft picks. Bird in the hand seems like the smart move and that's what John and Pete did. The same would apply to signing Clowney.

Letsgo425

Reaction score
i take it as john and pete knew what they were doing which is why they were hired in the first place

2 heads in agreement are better than 1, while everyone is playing checkers and not being in the playoffs in most of the last decade, john and pete are playing chess

andyh64000

Reaction score
The way I see it, would you trade our last two first round picks for Adams? My answer is hell freaking yes.

Or look at it another way, if we drafted an Adams clone with one of the next two first round picks and drafted a Penny clone with the other would you have been happy with the overall result?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
2 first rounders is exactly what it would take, if not more to move up to #6 with the Hawks almost always picking in the late 20's, early 30's.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
1st round picks have decreased in value but I would say given all the uncertainty, 2nd/3rd round picks have increased. So, from that sense, it is hard to get more picks unless you have a pick someone wants in return.

I'm ok with the Adams trade but it does prevent us from gaining several more picks as we have usually done while trading down. Maybe the market won't be there to trade down next year or maybe there will be more interest. Hard to say at this point.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Can't forget about cuts from other teams for cap purposes. Plus, Free Agency. This front office knows how to build a team, regardless what some say.

sdog1981

Reaction score
poly1274":l1vnsme0 said:
If they don't play a full season for NFL season this year, there won't be a 2021 draft anyways.

And you also forgot 2022 1st round pick as well.

The PAC-12 and Big Ten just impacted the 2022 draft class today. COVID will screw up the next 5 drafts. High School football is getting affected by this too, ie the players in the 2024 and 2025 drafts.

chris98251

Reaction score
The question will come down to years of eligibility for college players, for High Schools it will hurt, a huge step from Junior to Senior years, I expect a lot of Colleges will have to wait and see about eligibility due to the number of active scholarships available to recruit kids from Highschool also. Local products will be swarming to schools as walk ons I think and then there will be football camps once this gets past critical to evaluate.

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":27nzoo46 said:
The question will come down to years of eligibility for college players, for High Schools it will hurt, a huge step from Junior to Senior years, I expect a lot of Colleges will have to wait and see about eligibility due to the number of active scholarships available to recruit kids from Highschool also. Local products will be swarming to schools as walk ons I think and then there will be football camps once this gets past critical to evaluate.

I can see that as one possible outcome. To me, it comes down to losing players that we don't know about at the high school level as lower-level colleges just walk away from football. The impact will be felt for years to come still, and I for one think NFL draft picks have lost quite a bit of value due to the pandemic.