Do we have a championship calibur O-line?

BASF

Reaction score
From a talent standpoint, no we do not. However, our line is well coached and play cohesively no matter who is out there. It is seriously weird being a fan of a coaching staff that doesn't seem to value continuity on the offensive line. I actually like the platooning of Sweezy and Moffitt, as I have said for a very long time, that if the defensive line is constantly bringing in fresh bodies, offensive linemen should get a series or two off to make sure they can counter act the freshness factor.

kearly

Reaction score
Remember that line play is about more than pass protection. Our line is one of the best in the league at run blocking.

Pass pro has been a problem in the last two games, but before the Rams game Wilson had been sacked 27 times in 15 games (iirc), and the team had an adjusted sack rate that was slightly above the league median.

One last thing to remember, this line is still young and still hasn't played a ton of games together. Carroll has been doing a lot of mix and match at guard to see what he has. As this line builds continuity and experience, it will improve, and it's already a very good run blocking line and a decent pass blocking line. We have the perfect line to compliment Wilson, who can use mobility to compensate for some of it's pass blocking weaknesses.

Edit: And after catching up in this thread it seems every single one of those points was already expressed before I posted. I'm a noob.

themunn

Reaction score
sam1313":3om4o4cq said:
I don't think it is champion caliber, but not many lines could be with a 7th round defensive lineman starting at right tackle. Add the fact that Breno isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, and that our left tackle is a very mediocre jack-of-all trades, and I can't see how you call the line "champion caliber." That said, Marshawn and Russel often make it look like we have a champion caliber line, and our line tries freaking really, really hard - regardless of who is in there (thanks Cable & PC).

A very mediocre jack of all trades that's a pro-bowl starter and gave up what, 2 sacks all season?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Who started for the Giants in the Super Bowl last year? Or the Packers before that?

"Championship caliber"

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I wouldn't put to much emphasis on the last two games. Rams week 17 have a very dominant D-line and blitz packages and I really believe we didn't get up for that game. Last week was played on a mud field designed to disrupt opposing teams. Beyind those two games we have been pretty good.

Wilson is both the solution and the problem. His scrambling ability compensates for line struggles but his inexperience at reading defenses, holding the ball to long and evading the pocket create complications that would make the best O-line look sub par at times.

A QB that reads defenses well and gets the ball out early would make this kine look potentially among the leagues best. It is how good QB's stay healthy. Jackson's tough label is deserved in that he took way more punishing hits than he should have because he couldn't read defenses or get the ball out quickly, add to that his scrambling was very poor. Most QB's that play like Jackson would be injured but most QB's don't play like Jackson or they don't remain starters.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
minormillikin":2zan1vj8 said:
If we didn't have Wilson, I think it would be a daily drumbeat about how bad out O-Line is at pass protection.

If it were Flynn or TJack, depending on a reliable pocket to form around them, we'd seriously be screwed. Wilson is the perfect QB for our half-developed offensive line, because he finds ways to escape and make plays in disastrous scenarios.

One thing I remember from watching games last year with TJack, is that on the rare occasion he had some time in the pocket to make a pass, something positive usually happened. But, more often then not, he was being enveloped so quickly that there wasn't a chance. A really superior pocket passer might have had some success on our team, but an exceptionally average pocket passer (like Tjack/Flacco/Cassel/Schaub) would not have worked with our O-Line.

But, we have Wilson. And that might make the O-Line good enough. Heck, he might be even more dangerous with a subpar O-Line than he would be with a good one!
You may want to read Sando's latest article on ESPN.com.

Russell's stats for the year prove/validate he performs better from inside the pocket... not from outside the pocket.

Kamcussion

Reaction score
haha we have two members of our O-Line starting in the Pro Bowl and this thread exists..

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
GoldenTater81":18phqk67 said:
haha we have two members of our O-Line starting in the Pro Bowl and this thread exists..

Didn't you get the memo? Apparently you need five members going to the pro-bowl to have an acceptable offensive line in the NFL. You also need two all-pro backups 'just in case'. This is the only way to win in the NFL.

:thirishdrinkers:

jlwaters1

Reaction score
sam1313":3hupo6u7 said:
I don't think it is champion caliber, but not many lines could be with a 7th round defensive lineman starting at right tackle. Add the fact that Breno isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, and that our left tackle is a very mediocre jack-of-all trades, and I can't see how you call the line "champion caliber." That said, Marshawn and Russel often make it look like we have a champion caliber line, and our line tries freaking really, really hard - regardless of who is in there (thanks Cable & PC).

Shows what you know. We don't have a defensive lineman starting at RT. He's @ RG and he's been splitting time with Moffit for the majority of the time. OUr LT ISN"T mediocre. He's a pro-bowl calibur player as is our Center. 2 Pro-bowlers out of 5 is pretty good. I don't beleive the 2005 line had more than 2 starting pro-bowlers-- Jones and Hutch were it IIRC (Tobeck was an injury replacement).

Our Guards are our weak spot, but McQuistan is steady and those other 2 are adaquate. If you go back and look at some of the super bowl OL's I'd say Seattle's is better than several. The Giants and Steelers (Green Bay as well) have had suspect OL's for several years and yet they've managed to piece it together at the right time.

themunn

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2za6bvuv said:
GoldenTater81":2za6bvuv said:

Didn't you get the memo? Apparently you need five members going to the pro-bowl to have an acceptable offensive line in the NFL. You also need two all-pro backups 'just in case'. This is the only way to win in the NFL.

:thirishdrinkers:

I think we have an acceptable offensive line in the NFL, (in fact, I'd say it's top 10 overall, top 5 in run-blocking though pass-blocking let's us down) and a championship calibre team, but not a championship calibre O-Line (ie. one we could ride to the superbowl without talent elsewhere).

Yes we have two very talented players in Okung and Unger, but I definitely think there's room to upgrade - although with a fully fit Carpenter and a few more years experience for Sweezy/Moffit and I think we'll be challenging for top 5 O-Line.

I don't think any team in the NFL has a particularly amazing line though

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
themunn":1e2jll1k said:
I think we have an acceptable offensive line in the NFL, (in fact, I'd say it's top 10 overall, top 5 in run-blocking though pass-blocking let's us down) and a championship calibre team, but not a championship calibre O-Line (ie. one we could ride to the superbowl without talent elsewhere).

I don't think any team in the NFL has a particularly amazing line though

There isn't a team in the league that can ride an offensive line to a Super Bowl. You need a quarterback. You need pass rushers. You need playmakers. The last several SB winners all had one thing in common - a superb quarterback. I think only New Orleans had what you would call a really good offensive line and they also had Drew Brees and an amazing passing offense.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is thinking you need five studs playing o-line. Even Seattle's 2005 line really only had two stars - Jones and Hutch. The rest of the line was made up by seasoned vets and Sean Locklear. The Seahawks - IMO - have two stars on their current line in Okung and Unger. They also have several other lineman capable of filling the other spots just like Gray/Tobeck did in 2005. McQuistan, Giacomini, Moffitt - they all know the scheme and what we need to do. Cable likes Sweezy enough to keep him in there.

And the fact is the most important thing about a line is consistency. Time together. Working as a unit. You need some quality, but you also need five guys who work as one. The Seahawks offensive line is among the best in the league for running the ball and it's about league average in pass protection. League average is good enough when you have a mobile QB.

But anyone who thinks the Seahawks can be carried to the SB by an offensive line is mistaken and needs to realise that even in 05 we had the NFL MVP at running back, a pro-bowl quarterback and a timing-passing offense orchestrated by a future Hall-of-fame coach. We didn't have five elite offensive lineman who made average playmakers look great.

OP
OP
jman316

jman316

Reaction score
I've gotten my answer so far in this nightmare of a 1st half...

NO.

That being said, watch our boys come back and win this thing in the 2nd half.

GO HAWKS!!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
jman316":2ew8azd2 said:
I've gotten my answer so far in this nightmare of a 1st half...

NO.

That being said, watch our boys come back and win this thing in the 2nd half.

GO HAWKS!!

You're blaming that first half performance on the offensive line?

I dream of the day when we realise there are 6 other players on the field on offense, and a handful of coaches... two of which have had a nightmare so far.

OP
OP
jman316

jman316

Reaction score
They definitely haven't stepped up at a few critical moments.

There's plenty of blame to go around for the stink hole of a first half.