Draft picks from the Russell Wilson trade

seabowl

Reaction score
Now that all of the draft picks have been selected from the Russell Wilson trade, I’m curious to see your overall thoughts on your perception on how the Hawks did with their selections. Maybe it’s me, but with two top 10 picks and two top 10 second round picks, I’m not so sure we got a true top-tier All-Pro potential player. Obviously Witherspoon and Hall have yet to play but right after they traded Wilson, my expectation was they were going to acquire a perceived superstar with one of these picks especially with Denvers horrible year last year.

Does anyone else feel the same way on this?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Obviously a bit of a silly post. It's impossible to tell who will be an all pro right after a draft. But just for fun let's look at Jaxon Smith-Njigba's 2021 season.

"On November 6, 2021, Smith-Njigba recorded 15 receptions (single game school record) for 240 yards (the second most receiving yards in a game in school history at the time) and one touchdown in a 26–17 win against Nebraska.[12] Later that season, he set both an Ohio State single game and FBS Bowl record for receiving yards with 347 in Ohio State's win in the 2022 Rose Bowl.[13] In that game, he also recorded 15 receptions (tying his own record set in the aforementioned Nebraska game) and passed David Boston for the single season receiving yards record at Ohio State with 1,606."

I'd say there is a chance he could be an all-pro, but the draft is a crapshoot.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Obviously a bit of a silly post. It's impossible to tell who will be an all pro right after a draft. But just for fun let's look at Jaxon Smith-Njigba's 2021 season.

"On November 6, 2021, Smith-Njigba recorded 15 receptions (single game school record) for 240 yards (the second most receiving yards in a game in school history at the time) and one touchdown in a 26–17 win against Nebraska.[12] Later that season, he set both an Ohio State single game and FBS Bowl record for receiving yards with 347 in Ohio State's win in the 2022 Rose Bowl.[13] In that game, he also recorded 15 receptions (tying his own record set in the aforementioned Nebraska game) and passed David Boston for the single season receiving yards record at Ohio State with 1,606."

I'd say there is a chance he could be an all-pro, but the draft is a crapshoot.
Except he was the Hawks native pick not a denver pick.

I'm disappointed we didn't get a QB, but otherwise I think getting a franchise LT, probable franchise CB and 2 OLB is a pretty solid haul for an aging QB.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Now that all of the draft picks have been selected from the Russell Wilson trade, I’m curious to see your overall thoughts on your perception on how the Hawks did with their selections. Maybe it’s me, but with two top 10 picks and two top 10 second round picks, I’m not so sure we got a true top-tier All-Pro potential player. Obviously Witherspoon and Hall have yet to play but right after they traded Wilson, my expectation was they were going to acquire a perceived superstar with one of these picks especially with Denvers horrible year last year.

When the trade happened, I didn't think we got nearly enough of a return.

1. You got a starting Left Tackle (Cross)
2. A #1 CB (Spoon)
3. Mafe & Hall are still unknowns with potential.

In retrospect, it's not a bad return. If either Mafe or Hall breakout, then it's potentially a great haul.

Geno out playing expectations, makes it a win for us. Will they need to find his replacement at some point? Yes. But this trade has really set them up for success.

I'd argue that this roster was in bad shape prior to the trade. It needed an infusion of young talent. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Charles Cross had a very good rookie season, playing every snap (1088) and starting every game. He allowed 7 sacks and had 7 penalties.

Boye Mafe, as discussed in another thread, only averaged 24 snaps per game amd contributed behind Bruce Irvin.

Tyreke Smith the 5th round pick out of Ohio State, missed his entire rookie season. At 23, he'll have his work cut out for him to get valuable playing time in a crowded OLB room.

It's too early obviously to gauge Witherspoon and Hall, but both rookies have high expectations, especially Witherspoon at the #5 pick.

Overall, all five players selected are valuable in their own right, but it's just a bit too early to tell. If we're just focusing on last season's selections as well as the players included with Fant, Lock and Harris, I believe Seattle won the trade. But again, let's revisit this again next off-season to see how all these draft selections are panning out.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Yeah, way too early to give a final grade at this juncture. If Cross ends up being a fixture at LT for the Soaring Twenties, that alone is huge. Mafe didn’t have quite the impact I thought he would in his rookie season, but I still have high hopes for him and it looks like many others do as well after reading the Mafe thread.

‘Spoon should be an absolute stud and the Superstar you are wanting out of the trade. I was caught by surprise when Goodell called his name last Thursday, but it didn’t take long for me to realize it was a GREAT pick. The plays that Riq and Spoon make, as well as the plays that Riq and Spoon prevent should add up to many wins in the coming years. Coverage sacks should also increase to numbers we were accustomed to seeing several years ago. I’m ecstatic about that pick.

Derick Hall, like Mafe, will likely have a learning curve at the pro level and may not make his presence known right out of the gate, but if the people who are saying he has Cliff Avril potential are anywhere near correct, then hell yes, sign me up for that one.

You only inquired about the 2 firsts and 2 seconds we got in the trade so other than this brief mention, I won’t get into other aspects of the trade like ditching RW’s massive salary or the players we got in return. Looks like Shelby is gone, but Fant may play a huge role in next season’s offense. We have so many weapons to choose from, so we’ll see how often Geno gets the ball to him/Parkinson/Dissly, but Geno does like him some Tight Ends. Very refreshing!
In Drew Lock, we have one of the league’s better backups - but I do still think he has a chance to be a third or even second tier starter in the NFL, whether that be in Seattle or elsewhere.

Should we have “replaced” RW with one of those 4 picks? Between the players we drafted AND with Geno’s surprise “comeback” season, I think they played it perfectly.
I’ll admit that I was on the Malik Willis train last year and thank heavens they didn’t go that route. Pickett? Ridder? Naw, I’m good.

As for this year’s draft, if Will Levis ends up being the Second Coming of Josh Allen then yeah, that may have been a mistake but I’m pretty sure he fell to the second round for a reason. Hendon Hooker is the one I would have wanted if we were going to draft a “second tier” QB, but we came out of that draft with CB1 and WR1. The Seattle Seahawks came out of a draft with CB1 and WR1. Holy catfish is that not a beautiful sentence?!

First tier QBs this year - I’ve seen many people on .NET, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube comments, etc. saying that we should have traded up for one of the “Big 3” QBs. How? Who? Once Carolina made the deal with the Bears, that ship sailed. Panthers, Texans, and Colts all needed a QB and they got their guy. Cards weren’t going to trade with a division rival and allow us to haunt them for YEARS if AR ends up being what some think he will. Had AR fallen to 5, I think we would have taken him and I’d have been okay with that, but it didn’t work out that way. Sure, we probably could have done something crazy like the Saints did for Ricky Williams and offered someone our entire draft and next year’s #1 to move up a few spots, but we weren’t “a QB away” from being the cream of the crop. This team had many holes and I think they filled them admirably - with starters and depth.

We’re close. I like the approach of building the team and then finding your QBOTF. Until then, I think we’re just fine with Geno and/or Drew. Drew is still young, and maybe he will even end up being “the guy” if he can get and keep his interceptions down to an acceptable level. Or maybe we get our guy in next year’s deep QB draft.

Tl;dr: I like the approach the Seattle Seahawks have taken with their utilization of the draft picks obtained from the Denver Broncos in the 2022 Russell Wilson trade.

BASF

Reaction score
The subtraction of Me3 (coach, team and culture killer) can not be undersold in this equation. Getting a player that was willing to try to get his coach fired after clearly not running plays as called out of your locker room, especially with that contract, was the best thing that happened to the Seahawks in years. The marks do not understand that, nor do they want to understand it.

I am happy with the draft selections. I am very happy we didn't draft one of these pie in the sky QB prospects. If Stroud had fallen to five, I would have been happy to draft him. Richardson and Levis are both projects that are close to pipe dreams that people wanted to take a flier on simply because, "Well Josh Allen succeded." One success with tons of failures does not inspire confidence.

Witherspoon strengthens a good corner back room, especially with his leadership. Tariq comes off as more laidback and not the boisterous type. Every team needs a little brash on their back end, and it has been lacking with Adams injured year after year. With the cap hits on our current leaders, virtually no one expects them to be on our roster in 2024.

I was happy with the Hall pick. He is a bit raw, but has good habits. I expect him to be a solid starter for years. Remember that Uchenna and Taylor are free agents in 2024. Bringing in Hall and getting him up to NFL level before they leave is important.

Mafe is good. Cross is very good.

The trade was vastly in our favor. That is without factoring in the Me3 possibly dogging it to get a coach he didn't want to play for fired. He finally got the coach he wanted all along, so I expect his effort level to be much higher. But, even if he can be what the marks believed of him, we won the trade hands down.

Last edited:

Msfann

Reaction score
They were going to lose with Wilson the way things were, it was smart to move on and the Seahawks got a hell of a haul for a qb of his diminished and limited skill set. You all saw how bad Wilson has been for a few years, the team got a bunch of draft picks for the lame version of Russ. Seattle wins that in a landslide.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
They were going to lose with Wilson the way things were, it was smart to move on and the Seahawks got a hell of a haul for a qb of his diminished and limited skill set. You all saw how bad Wilson has been for a few years, the team got a bunch of draft picks for the lame version of Russ. Seattle wins that in a landslide.
Understood however, the topic had absolutely nothing to do with Russell Wilson and all to do with the selections they made for trading him

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Except he was the Hawks native pick not a denver pick.

I'm disappointed we didn't get a QB, but otherwise I think getting a franchise LT, probable franchise CB and 2 OLB is a pretty solid haul for an aging QB.
See, now there's a misconception of this Wilson Trade as I see it, how so you may be asking? because having two years of two fairly high firsts & two second round picks, where both John & Pete can AND DID throw some cautions to the winds in those 8 picks, did take players they likely couldn't have taken a chance on with having only ONE pick in the 1st & 2nd as in the Drafts prior to 2022, & 2023.
Just because we as Fans (and the prognosticators) didn't hold the same values in the top 10 to 20's picks in those two Drafts as Pete & John did, the wannabe GM's around the U.S. doesn't mean they were held to Draft prognostications set up by any of those pundits or Fans who DO NOT have an inside track on how Pete & John are Reloading the team for THEIR PLAYER FIT for the Seahawks.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score

No I don't feel that way. I think they did well, and if last seasons crop is any indication, were trending in the right direction. These drafts are kind of misleading , look at all the info on the top rated guys . How many will turn into superstars and how many 5th rounders
Will surpass everyone's expectations?

Tariq Woolen

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The subtraction of Me3 (coach, team and culture killer) can not be undersold in this equation. Getting a player that was willing to try to get his coach fired after clearly not running plays as called out of your locker room, especially with that contract, was the best thing that happened to the Seahawks in years. The marks do not understand that, nor do they want to understand it.

I am happy with the draft selections. I am very happy we didn't draft one of these pie in the sky QB prospects. If Stroud had fallen to five, I would have been happy to draft him. Richardson and Levis are both projects that are close to pipe dreams that people wanted to take a flier on simply because, "Well Josh Allen succeded." One success with tons of failures does not inspire confidence.

Witherspoon strengthens a good corner back room, especially with his leadership. Tariq comes off as more laidback and not the boisterous type. Every team needs a little brash on their back end, and it has been lacking with Adams injured year after year. With the cap hits on our current leaders, virtually no one expects them to be on our roster in 2024.

I was happy with the Hall pick. He is a bit raw, but has good habits. I expect him to be a solid starter for years. Remember that Uchenna and Taylor are free agents in 2024. Bringing in Hall and getting him up to NFL level before they leave is important.

Mafe is good. Cross is very good.

The trade was vastly in our favor. That is without factoring in the Me3 possibly dogging it to get a coach he didn't want to play for fired. He finally got the coach he wanted all along, so I expect his effort level to be much higher. But, even if he can be what the marks believed of him, we won the trade hands down.

Pete’s coddling of Russ helped turn Russ into what he was in 2021. 7-10…6-8 in the games he did play. We would have won the trade with one first rounder, really.