Drafting a QB in the 1st round would be dumb

Spohawks

Reaction score
If you said "Draft a QB" at the start of the season...sure, anyone could buy that. But 7 games in and with the best completion % in the NFL, only 3 INTs and command of the offence...Geno has proven there is no need to panic in the 1st round.

He has done all that we could have asked from him, would you draft a WR in the 1st? No? Why? Because we are stacked at that position and guess what...we are stacked at QB as well. Best in the NFL stacked!

Its going to be Christmas in April with 4 picks in the first 2 rounds...thats 4 new starters!

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
We'll have two first round picks and the Broncos one is looking more and more like it'll be a high choice. We'll be in a comfortable position to take whatever player we think is best and best fit.

If there is a QB in there that Pete or John see as the future of this team, get him. I want to extend Geno (I'm at the point now where I feel like Geno should be coming back from Germany with a new contract... we'll have seen everything we need to see by that point) but one of the benefits of no longer having #3 is that we shouldn't be limiting ourselves in the draft in order to make a temperamental QB happy.

Geno seems confident enough in his play that he's not going to go into a hidey-hole if there is competition during training camp.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
With Geno playing the way he is, I agree completely. Keep building the roster. Don't consider QB until late first/round 2 unless JS is IN LOVE

Rat

Reaction score
No, it wouldn't. Franchise QBs are hard as hell to find and I can't imagine we'll be in a better position in the near future to grab one. That being said, Geno has played well enough so far, that I'm closer to being willing to run with him for the next few years if it works out that way. Bottom line: we actually have options, and I wouldn't have thought that a few months ago.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If it's the 2nd coming of Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen, would that be dumb? Of course not. That said, drafting a QB who isn't Carroll & Schneider's guy, who they didn't scout as being that kind of talent, that kind of work ethic, that kind of character, agreed, that would be dumb.

I would have loved to see the Hawks pick up Desmond Ridder, who basically went in the 3rd round at #74, almost Russell Wilson's exact #75 draft position, to the Falcons. No complaints though; PC/JS knew what they had at the QB position in Geno and Lock, and they passed on all QBs.

Geno is currently outplaying any 1st round pick they could hope to get, so the Hawks just need to extend him a couple years. Geno will have suitors in free agency if the Hawks don't sign him before that, so we can't know for sure how long he will be a Seahawk.

As Pete said, Drew Lock would be the #1 pick this prior draft year over any of the QBs in the draft, so the Hawks need to let him grow and develop behind Geno this year and have a competition next year.

As far as future drafts, should the 49ers of the late 80's have passed on snagging Steve Young because they already had Joe Montana?

cymatica

Reaction score
I would say draft high on another guard and center, and add to the defense. If there's a promising QB to develop in the later rounds, then grab him. Would like to see if they can develop Lock

Ruminator

Reaction score
Four reasons to definitely grab one in this QB-rich draft regardless of what Geno does this year: 1) no guarantee Geno will re-sign to stay with Seattle after this season, 2) no guarantee Geno will stay healthy, 3) QB-rich drafts don't happen every year, and 4) Lock is unproven.

Nunya

Reaction score
While I think early draft projections are worthless, I think Bo Nix may be a good fit.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yeah, the Packers had Brett Favre and drafted Aaron Rodgers in the 1st Round...dumb...
49ers had Joe Montana and brought Steve Young...
Kansas City had Alex Smith playing at an Elite level, and TRADED UP in the 1st round for Patrick Mahomes!

John Schneider had Russell Wilson and still went to Josh Allen's and Patrick Mahomes Pro Days.

If there's a good QB at your pick in the 1st round, you take him! Why? Because it takes time for a rookie QB to develop and adjust to the NFL level.

And because one of those QBs, will get you draft picks in return. Sometimes better than what you spent.

For my money, I like Sam Hartman, or Hendon Hooker.

Last edited:

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
How expensive will Geno be and what’s his ceiling?

Obviously he’s been a pleasant surprise, but will you end up overpaying for a QB who’s only good enough to get you to a one and out playoff scenario?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I still think you grab one if the one they want is there.
I trust John's eye there more than any other spot. I'd also say go for it if one of these guys is one of HIS guys.

I may be playing with fire here, but ideally, I hope he doesn't like any of the top guys... just because it's starting to seem like he's good enough at scouting these dudes that he can find real starters where most others can't.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Week 7 is in the books and we officially have a Joe Montana comparison for Geno Smith. I'd say this season has gone unexpectedly well.
That's funny, and rather unintentional, not comparing Geno to Joe Montana, but the fact your mind went there... well that is a good sign! Wouldn't doubt that Geno's Week 7 stats are probably comparable to or even better than (era-adjusted) Montana Week 7 stats for several different years.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Husky QB looks really good and is still under the radar, might be a nice mid draft get..