DVR review vs. Chargers: OL/DL and other thoughts

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will PUP Carp if he's less than 100%. Doing so gives them 6+ weeks of roster flexibility. We all assumed that Carp was in line for the starting LG job, but in reality he barely has more starting experience as Bailey, Johnson or Bowie.

One thing is clear though, Carp desperately needs to get out there and compete for his spot, because right now he's the one that's looking like plan B or C.

Largent80

Reaction score
Imagine. Bailey is outstanding.

We decide to trade Okung for a first and third next year, and a second the year after. Do you do it if Bailey appears to be th Left tackle of the future?

Red Beard

Reaction score
I've been high on Alvin Bailey since the middle of last year's college season. In the draft, I would have been happy taking Alvin Bailey in the 4th or later and was quite disappointed every time I didn't hear his name called by the Hawks. Much to my surprise, we snagged him as an UDFA and I immediately was posting on facebook telling my friends to keep an eye on him and I knew he had the talent to start for our team. I'm not surprised by how well he is performing and I hope he continues to progress. I think I made a post somewhere on here as well saying that Bailey was one of the ones I was most excited about. Anyway, great write up. Always look forward to reading your work when I see a new thread started by you.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
kearly":2zbc4r5s said:
I think the Seahawks will PUP Carp if he's less than 100%. Doing so gives them 6+ weeks of roster flexibility. We all assumed that Carp was in line for the starting LG job, but in reality he barely has more starting experience as Bailey, Johnson or Bowie.

One thing is clear though, Carp desperately needs to get out there and compete for his spot, because right now he's the one that's looking like plan B or C.

I agree. The new PUP rules allow you to pull them off a lot easier. We are stacked on the OL with talent. I will pay close attention to Rishaw the plays I keyed on him he was getting blown up on pass protection, and I may have bailed on him too early.

A interesting battle is between our drafted WR and the young man from AZ ( Williams vs Harper). A 6'5" receiver is pretty attractive.

themunn

Reaction score
Largent80":v1brqmcn said:

We decide to trade Okung for a first and third next year, and a second the year after. Do you do it if Bailey appears to be th Left tackle of the future?

No, you don't trade 26 year old All-Pros unless they're a distraction, the antithesis of Russell Okung.
You keep Bailey and play him wherever he has most impact (Right Tackle?).

Especially since we don't have to "re-up" him for 3 years. If he's as good as advertised, you could have 3 years with an All Pro LT, All Pro RT and All Pro Center.
If Carpenter can stay healthy and Rishaw Johnson can continue to make strides and play at RG well...

For the record, I'm not going out and proclaiming that Bailey will be an All-Pro, but you don't trade Okung unless you're convinced he is...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
themunn":1ifu6lwy said:
Largent80":1ifu6lwy said:

No, you don't trade 26 year old All-Pros unless they're a distraction, the antithesis of Russell Okung.
You keep Bailey and play him wherever he has most impact (Right Tackle?).

This person nailed it.

You sure as heck trade Giacomini or McQuistan, though.

roghawk86

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, appreciate it! I definitely didn't watch it as closely as you since I was watching at a bar, so this was excellent to read.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Largent80":2ak09f9x said:

I wouldn't trade an All-Pro for a guy who "MIGHT" become an all-pro. Left tackle is too important.

BTW: No one gives up that much for Okung, just about every team that needed a LT got one in the draft.

Remember Kansas City trying to trade Brandon Albert for a 1st rounder? The couldn't even do that. Okung would probably fetch a 2 and a 4.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Great post Kearly. I have to say, I agree with almost everything you said, from Bennett being the stud we hoped Jason Jones would be to Mayowa looking like Clemons. Some thoughts...

- Bennett, Hill, and Howard all had excellent, exciting games. Although Bennett didn't play DE this game, there is some great versatility from those three players.

- Howard was my Defensive MVP this game. It was great to see him stand out, and at times dominating, even after having tweaked his knee on a low-block.

- I can't say you that wrong about Jesse Williams, but in his defense, he was combo blocked 2 out of every 3 plays in those first two series, many of the times with one of those being DJ Fluker, a 350 lb first round right tackle drafted for his run blocking. He struggled mostly, but he flashed at times: one play fighting off the Fluker and the RG for a great tackle and another play busting up a LG and FB causing a team TFL.

- Bailey was a stud the entire game who I'd like to see play some RT, and like you said, Bowie was solid as well to a lesser extent, yet I'm still unsold on Bowie's pass-protection. He had an absolute miss against an outside rusher causing a QB hurry throw (Quinn incomplete throw to Willson on the sideline). Lots of time, though, to show that he has the ability and consistency to challenge Breno.

- Clint McDonald looks slow and average compared to the other many athletic players on that defensive line. I could see him cut to open a roster spot to either Williams or McDanial and being replaced as the #2 1-tech by...

- Jordan Hill. Since Pete has gotten here, from switching Mebane back to the 1-tech over the heavier Colin Cole, to having back-to-back 325 lb DTs play or be projected to be the starter at the 3-tech, everything points to the 3-tech being that big-body run-stuffer and the 1-tech having a combo of strength and quickness. Maybe hill plays so well, Pete is forced to adjust his philosophy to fit him into his defense (which is a good thing), but something tells me that Jordan Hill's future is at the 1-tech for now.

Great stuff again. You're weekly game recap & thoughts are always hugely appreciated.

themunn

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":36hg81ag said:
Largent80":36hg81ag said:

I wouldn't trade an All-Pro for a guy who "MIGHT" become an all-pro. Left tackle is too important.

BTW: No one gives up that much for Okung, just about every team that needed a LT got one in the draft.

Remember Kansas City trying to trade Brandon Albert for a 1st rounder? The couldn't even do that. Okung would probably fetch a 2 and a 4.

In fairness, Brandon Albert is a good but nothing special LT. Okung is an All-Pro, if he repeats in 2013, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd from a team that needs O-Line help is well within reason - yes teams that needed an LT this year got one in the draft (in the top 10), but Okung is a top 5-at-his-position in the league player, someone like Green Bay, Pittsburg, Detroit, Oakland, Chicago, Indy or Miami would probably bite your hand off for Okung at that offer (as apart froM Oakland, most will probably draft outside of the top 10 in 2014)

chris98251

Reaction score
Being called the best LT in the game by some and someone says that people won't trade draft picks for a proven starter to protect their franchise QB's butt. If we wanted to we could probably get 2 firsts and a 3rd minimum by a few teams.

Saying that, we trade Okung like we would trade Walter, you don't do it. Everyone acts like we need to save money and dump proven players for potential of other players, maybe so if they are past there 30th birthday at many positions and you start to notice nagging injuries effecting them or a loss of speed. But sure don't in your Super Bowl window. Trading Okung now would be like saying we can also trade Lynch, Rice, Tate, Browner, Sherman too just becasue we have guys on the roster that can play the position and that the starters will cost us more next year. How far in the playoffs would we get thinking along those lines?

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":c1ghfzs9 said:
Being called the best LT in the game by some and someone says that people won't trade draft picks for a proven starter to protect their franchise QB's butt. If we wanted to we could probably get 2 firsts and a 3rd minimum by a few teams.

Saying that, we trade Okung like we would trade Walter, you don't do it. Everyone acts like we need to save money and dump proven players for potential of other players, maybe so if they are past there 30th birthday at many positions and you start to notice nagging injuries effecting them or a loss of speed. But sure don't in your Super Bowl window. Trading Okung now would be like saying we can also trade Lynch, Rice, Tate, Browner, Sherman too just becasue we have guys on the roster that can play the position and that the starters will cost us more next year. How far in the playoffs would we get thinking along those lines?

I think the problem is some posters just assume we will now always pick up high quality players in later rounds or UDFA just because we have hit on a few. So now they think it's perfectly acceptable to let our very best All Pro players leave in trades for new unproven rookies to keep "Churning" the roster with no loss of talent or results. If only it could be so easy, every team would do it.

Thank God PC and JS don't think that way, or we would never make another Super Bowl let alone win one.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Great write up. But since Jesse Williams is my adopted rookie... Kearly it's clear you hate Australians like an englishman, and have declared personal vendetta on Jesse. I mean come on, Foster's isn't that bad, and besides Australians hate Fosters, especially when they say it's Australian for beer.

drdiags

Reaction score
Unless the PUP rules have changed dramatically, Carp cannot be put on the PUP. He passed his pre-training camp physical and practiced for 2 weeks. Not sure why some keep having a problem with that rule. Only PUP changes that I know of is that you can take longer to decide whether to activate a player, thus for example someone like Harvin could be carried longer before deciding to IR or activate him from the PUP.

Simply put, any player who in unable to participate in training camp activities as a result of a football-related injury is eligible to be placed on the preseason PUP list. These players can be removed from said list at any point prior to the regular season, even if they were only on the PUP list for a single practice. However, once a player participates in so much as one training camp activity, they are no longer eligible to be placed on the preseason PUP list.

Any players that are unable to participate in training camp practices due to a non-football injury are not eligible for the PUP list, but can be placed on the Non-Football Injury (NFI) list.

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyo...-physically-unable-to-perform-pup-list-rules/

I guess the confusion comes with the regular season PUP and being eligible to be placed on it. My understanding is you have to be on the pre-season PUP to be eligible to go onto the regular season PUP.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think you are right Diags, Wikipedia seems to back you up. I always wondered what the purpose of the preseason PUP was. Apparently it's a major pre-condition for the regular season PUP.

That said, what a lame system. America's most injury prone sport also has America's strictest and least team friendly injury workaround rules. Completely unreasonable IMO, given the number of injuries in the sport and the relatively small rosters (MLB has a 40 man roster for about half the number of starting players, for example). I'd love to see the NFL move to a disabled list system like what baseball has. The change they made to the IR this year was a tiny step in the right direction, at least.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1u7vf0le said:
Other than tight end, and oh what an exception it is, I have never seen a roster this deep. Areas like DT and LB, that I was worried about, seem more than shored up. If the staff sees the need to do so, they have the capital to trade for a tight end right now and still have depth.

It strikes me as very likely that we'll see another Evan Moore type signing after the final cuts occur. Somewhere, some team is going to cut a TE that Seattle really liked on draft day. I always thought Willson looked like a fringe prospect on tape, and yet he still disappointed me in the first game. And he was probably a cut above all the others. Heck, Seattle might sign two cast off TEs. They probably should.

I imagine ASJ and Colt Lyerla are pretty high on the Seahawks current 2014 draft boards.