DVR review vs. Chargers: OL/DL and other thoughts

hawk79

Reaction score
Totally agree with assessment of Williams. I really was not impressed with him at all in terms of what I had heard about him after the draft. It will be curious to see if he improves throuought the pre-season.

Atradees

Reaction score
Good to hear we picked up talent/competition for the Oline. I am not really sold on the conversion projects, Moffit and we need some competition at RT. Want our QB with time.

The Chargers werent great last year. Denver will put these newbies to the test.

General Manager

Reaction score
Williams is huge from the waste up but his lack of power in his lower body was painfully obvious in that game. He will have to play much better if he wants to play in the regular season if they even keep him on the roster. Hill looked good at times so i'm thankful for that. Howard looked fine he will be in the rotation. I agree with your analysis across the board. The kid from Idaho Benson looks like a keeper it's just one game but initial impression was this is a potential starter down the road.

Smellyman

Reaction score
General Manager":1mkd9sas said:
Williams is huge from the waste up but his lack of power in his lower body was painfully obvious in that game. He will have to play much better if he wants to play in the regular season if they even keep him on the roster. Hill looked good at times so i'm thankful for that. Howard looked fine he will be in the rotation. I agree with your analysis across the board. The kid from Idaho Benson looks like a keeper it's just one game but initial impression was this is a potential starter down the road.

He benches 600 and reportedly squats 700. Strength isn't an issue for his upper or lower body.

He just isn't an explosive DT type. He needs to be a run stuffer and a pocket pusher.

It was his first game and ran against the ones....it's tough for rooks to go against seasoned NFL OLineman.

General Manager

Reaction score
Smellyman":2hkprpi3 said:
General Manager":2hkprpi3 said:

He benches 600 and reportedly squats 700. Strength isn't an issue for his upper or lower body.

He just isn't an explosive DT type. He needs to be a run stuffer and a pocket pusher.

It was his first game and ran against the ones....it's tough for rooks to go against seasoned NFL OLineman.

Well that's one interpretation.

Smellyman

Reaction score
General Manager":3qfr5za2 said:
Smellyman":3qfr5za2 said:
General Manager":3qfr5za2 said:

Well that's one interpretation.

well that's a true statement.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Weight room strength and field strength have an uncertain correlation, but to me it looked like technique was probably Williams problem.

NYCoug

Reaction score
kearly":1jw5kq3w said:
Weight room strength and field strength have an uncertain correlation, but to me it looked like technique was probably Williams problem.

Hopefully that's the case. Then we can just let Dan Quinn work some of his magic and Williams will magically turn into a solid NFL player (see; Red Bryant, possibly Jaye Howard, get back to me in a few weeks on that one). Worst case scenario, if Williams doesn't pan out inside but Howard and Hill do, you can always try and swing Williams outside and have him back up Red at the 5 Tech. Maybe learning from one of the premier 5 Tech's, who also was forced to convert from DT to DE, would do wonders for his game?

Still too early to tell I guess. We shall see how it shakes out.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Smellyman":1g4giapz said:
General Manager":1g4giapz said:

Well reasoned

General Manager

Reaction score
Well at least he wasn't falling down every other play like he did at times in college. :stirthepot:

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
A little perspective here - the Chargers are absolutely awful - and their O & D lines are even more horrid than that. All these guys who looked like All-Pro's will be significantly better tested against the Broncos this weekend. Take everything you saw in the SD game with a grain of salt the size of the Morton's girl.