Eagles Loop holed the challenge

JPatera76

Reaction score
I know some wanna slam Pete for the timeout with eagles challenging the completion or whatever. He was just asked about it in the presser... and Seems theres nothing written to say that a tewam cant do that.

So i understand Pete question on does he get his timeout back. It was a little loop hole in the rules for challenges. However the rules dont state what would happen if a team who challenged something during another teams timeout, would lose their timeout and the original team who called the timeout would keep the called time out. As well there's nothing stating a team can or can't challenge during another teams time out.

OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score
It matters not

meh 50/50, I would say it matters in a sense of, does the team who originally called the time out get theirs back if the team who challenged during it loses the challenge. Because they didn't burn a time out but would have, to even challenge it originally. But to have both teams lose a time out, say in the 4th qtr when it would matter could make a difference especially if the team who called time out.

AS well... a challenge during another teams time out is another area where imo it shouldn't be allowed.

getnasty

Reaction score
Everyone knew it was stupid at the time.
I have zero problem with the TO. If you come away with zero points there that really hurts.

The bigger gripe is not getting the play in and the offense up to the LOS quick enough.

Lock did get punched in the face by Carter on the 3rd down play and seemed a little rattled but still need to be better.

sutz

Reaction score
Pete called the TO to avoid the penalty for the play clock running out. I believe he called it before the red flag came out.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
meh 50/50, I would say it matters in a sense of, does the team who originally called the time out get theirs back if the team who challenged during it loses the challenge. Because they didn't burn a time out but would have, to even challenge it originally. But to have both teams lose a time out, say in the 4th qtr when it would matter could make a difference especially if the team who called time out.

AS well... a challenge during another teams time out is another area where imo it shouldn't be allowed.
If that were the case coaches could call time out to stop something from being challenged. Clumsy the way it is but really the only way it can work.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
In the end, it benefited the Seahawks as they came away with 3, and not a failed 4th down conversion. For that reason, I'm OK with it.

It does however, speak to maybe a lack of communication between PC and the guys upstairs, or the guys upstairs didn't do their job and tell PC not to call a time because Lock's knee was down. Hard to say, I'm not familiar with the intricacies of what communication looks like between a coaching staff in football games.

PhxPhin

Reaction score
Lock did get punched in the face by Carter on the 3rd down play and seemed a little rattled but still need to be better.

Yeah, I guess it's ok to crack QBs in the face again??

A pass rushers can try to shed a block, lunge and make light connect to the top of the helmet and get penalized

Lock was moving in the pocket, gets blasted in the face and the only comment is "he's checking for blood"

Like the end of the first half sequence, Lock legit gets a grounding penalty. Hurts had a very similar throw under more pressure, still within the tackles despite movement and not even a mention

The lack of consistency drives me a bit crazy

kidhawk

Reaction score
I know some wanna slam Pete for the timeout with eagles challenging the completion or whatever. He was just asked about it in the presser... and Seems theres nothing written to say that a tewam cant do that.

So i understand Pete question on does he get his timeout back. It was a little loop hole in the rules for challenges. However the rules dont state what would happen if a team who challenged something during another teams timeout, would lose their timeout and the original team who called the timeout would keep the called time out. As well there's nothing stating a team can or can't challenge during another teams time out.
It’s not a loophole. They didn’t get a chance to see it until Pete called the timeout. Teams can call a timeout right after another team calls one. You see it all the time. A team will call timeout to get a kicker on the field and the other team calls one before the kick to freeze the kicker. Since this can happen there’s no issue with taking the timeout from the challenging team there if they were wrong. Of course most of the world knew it would get turned over if challenged.

Pete didn’t have faith that they’d get to the ball odd but he was wrong because they snapped it with :01 on the clock just after Pete called the timeout. No telinf what would have happened if the play had continued but we had a good shot at 7 there.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
If that were the case coaches could call time out to stop something from being challenged. Clumsy the way it is but really the only way it can work.
Thought about this a little bit. They could easily continue to run the play clock if a team calls a time out and when the play clock gets to zero the other team not calling a timeout can no longer challenge. This is the way it should work.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The rule has always been that you have until the next play to challenge. I see no reason to change that. Our offense got the ball off before the clock hit :00 so even if you take the challenge out of the equation, it was still a wasted timeout by Pete there.