EPL '16/'17

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3c1hkriu said:
sdog1981":3c1hkriu said:
Uncle Si":3c1hkriu said:
sdog1981":3c1hkriu said:
Well at the end of the day Conte has this team playing at a level that has not been seen since the days of Carlo Ancelotti. So far this has been a fun season. Winter transfers might get interesting.

He's done an excellent job

Liverpool showed their frailty there

The loss to Liverpool and Arsenal forced Conte to change things and the results have been impressive. At the same time it is looking like Pep is not having a good time with the EPL.

Pep was always going to "struggle" until he gets the right players in for what he wants to do.

Pep was not a fan of Yaya during his days at Barca too. The Gundogan injury was devastating for Pep and his system.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I can't imagine Pep went into the season thinking an oft injured Gundogan was the key to his EPL successes. What he needs, and what he is not getting, is stronger and more technical play from the back 3. Gundogan could offer those players some relief (like Ramos did for him at Barca and Thiago did at Bayern) but the issue here is his current crop of defenders are not offering enough in support of the attack. Liverpool game was one of the better ones I've seen Stones play.. but they still can't connect with much danger.

They look more like Pep's Bayern then Pep's Barca, with far more play out wide. He is finding that it is difficult to break down the much faster, more athletic and more tactically sound defenses of the PL going out wide and still playing his style (versus say Ferguson's United teams who lived on the wings but were happy with 2-1 games).

sdog1981

Reaction score
Both very good points. Fergie playing that 442 and at times it would turn into a 424 with how high the wings would play.

Man the boys in blue got dusted today. They always lose to the Spurs in January. It is almost a tradition these days.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":1g75l9ok said:
Winter Transfers have been very slow.

Very slow. I would have figured that United, Spurs and Liverpool would be more active in strengthening, given their positions. Chelsea is in a great place at the moment, deep squad, limited fixtures, outside the Costa row.

Arsenal are also in a weird spot. Sanchez and Ozil look to be off by Summer.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":rb7q5qwi said:
sdog1981":rb7q5qwi said:
Winter Transfers have been very slow.

Very slow. I would have figured that United, Spurs and Liverpool would be more active in strengthening, given their positions. Chelsea is in a great place at the moment, deep squad, limited fixtures, outside the Costa row.

Arsenal are also in a weird spot. Sanchez and Ozil look to be off by Summer.

I was thinking along similar lines. The only thing Chelsea did was recall Ake from loan. Which is nice to see Conte actually use some of these players Chelsea has in its youth system.

I thought for sure Jose would be spending big this winter. It is only the 16th so this post might look silly in a few days but so far nothing.

Blueboy

Reaction score
sdog1981":3as46gdl said:
Blueboy":3as46gdl said:
After today, no words, humiliating and gutting.

Your an Arsenal Gooner?

Crystal Palace i'm afraid, born and raised 10 mins from ground, played for youths as a schoolboy.

Can see consecutive relegation's coming up, rot has well and truly set in.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blueboy":w2jsrvbr said:

I feel for you man..

I'd like to pout about being a Liverpool fan, but they still are well managed and have thoughtful directors looking out for them.

Palace is a shambles. Club deserves better

sdog1981

Reaction score
Blueboy":1k4o5e42 said:
sdog1981":1k4o5e42 said:
Blueboy":1k4o5e42 said:

Your an Arsenal Gooner?

Crystal Palace i'm afraid, born and raised 10 mins from ground, played for youths as a schoolboy.

Can see consecutive relegation's coming up, rot has well and truly set in.

Oh man that sucks

Blueboy

Reaction score
Next 2 games are massive, away to Stoke then home to Middlesborough, would think we need a minimum 4 points. The fear of playing at home is of huge concern, its not even like they don't get the backing from the crowd.

All incredibly frustrating.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Who would think the Turf Moor is now a fortress for Burnley?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":1fzd1dt0 said:

Toughest place in all of England to get points.

Liverpool's front six were together for the first time since December.. and it showed off finally.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2c516owb said:
sdog1981":2c516owb said:

Toughest place in all of England to get points.

Liverpool's front six were together for the first time since December.. and it showed off finally.

I saw that and thought of you lol

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1pvhc9y1 said:
Leicester have fired Ranieri.

Big club move... which they are not.

But, the team that had the most amazing title run in the modern sports era has also failed to score a single goal since the calendar turned to 2017.

I suppose it was time

sdog1981

Reaction score
It just sucks. I also like how Jose had CR on his shirt today for Ranieri.

Who was the coach Jose Mourinho first replaced at Chelsea?

Blueboy

Reaction score
Palace won a game, even moved out of the bottom 3........for now anyway. :irishdrinkers:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blueboy":3cf64guc said:
Palace won a game, even moved out of the bottom 3........for now anyway. :irishdrinkers:

Heard sahko played well... still struggle with why he was phased out by Klopp. He's much better than Lovren