Favorite Seahawks player of the 70's

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":tvfxqrfj said:
As a left handed kid growing up in the 70's running around the playground and sports fields hucking around a football with my buddies in pickup games, Jim Zorn was my idol.

Yep, same. I was a lefty and I ALWAYS was Zorn playing pickup games. I must have yelled out "Zorn to Largent...Touchdown Seahawks!!" A gazillion times in my street growing up.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3g78rxwk said:
jammerhawk":3g78rxwk said:
If we talked about tough guys as a topic although he played mostly in the 80’s Joe Nash was special.

There are lots.

Joe Nash didn’t play in the 70’s.

Thank you I knew that and my post indicated as much.

Nash played his whole career 1982- 1996 for the Seahawks.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Aros":2d11xd2e said:
Sgt. Largent":2d11xd2e said:
As a left handed kid growing up in the 70's running around the playground and sports fields hucking around a football with my buddies in pickup games, Jim Zorn was my idol.

Yep, same. I was a lefty and I ALWAYS was Zorn playing pickup games. I must have yelled out "Zorn to Largent...Touchdown Seahawks!!" A gazillion times in my street growing up.

Haha. I was (and am!) right-handed, but I was a Seahawks fan and I was almost always the QB (on offense) in neighborhood games, so Zorn ended up becoming my first childhood sports hero.
When I got a royal-blue Seahawks jersey, I was also given a kit for putting numbers on the jersey. I always intended for it to be #10, and I was pretty sure I was gonna put "ZORN" on it too. I just never got around to it, so I played a jillion games in a Seahawks jersey with no numbers or name on it.

I'm from a small town in Maine, so my fame as the town Seahawks fan spread quickly. By 1977, it seemed all the kids in town knew.

When I finally got to a Seahawks home game in October of 2019, I wore a Zorn throwback jersey to represent my early years as a Seahawks fan and a current-logo-and-colors cap to represent the current run.

I loved Largent too, of course. I liked some of the running backs, but I wouldn't say they were my "favorites." Brown is the same. It was hard to follow the Seahawks in Maine in the 1970s, so I naturally got more statistical info on Zorn, Largent, Sherman Smith, and David Sims than I did about anybody on the defense, and the highlights shows, to the extent they showed the Seahawks, tended to show what the offense had done. I'll talk about defensive players more in the '80s-player thread.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Largent by far above any other in 70's...People seem to not realize the Hawks started
in 1976 and in those four years he had 2 seasons over 1,000 yrds with a crap of a QB.
That is my take and I saw all of it from the start

Jville

Reaction score
He wasn't a player. But, I've got to mention quarterback and receivers coach Jerry Rome. Loved his resourceful and inventive game plans. He was perfect for an expansion team with limited talent. But, more than that he made the game fun to watch and memorable. The one and only ..... Jerry Rome.

The 70's was also the last of the highly mobile and well practiced offensive lines. Linemen could move and change direction at 250 pounds or so. Really great team blocking. A joy to watch. That is probably what I miss the most of the 70's. During the 80's it was on its way out.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jim Zorn, Steve Largent, Lyle Blackwood, Dave Brown, David Sims, Sherman Smith, Don Dufek, Cornell Webster, Keith Butler, Norm Evans, Steve Niehaus, Ron Howard, ...

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":m29mg2sj said:
He wasn't a player. But, I've got to mention quarterback and receivers coach Jerry Rome. Loved his resourceful and inventive game plans. He was perfect for an expansion team with limited talent. But, more than that he made the game fun to watch and memorable. The one and only ..... Jerry Rome.

The 70's was also the last of the highly mobile and well practiced offensive lines. Linemen could move and change direction at 250 pounds or so. Really great team blocking. A joy to watch. That is probably what I miss the most of the 70's. During the 80's it was on its way out.

Same could be said for Rusty Tillman. the 70's he was only a Coach for 79 but stuck around through a total of three head coaches he was so good.

Terry Love

Reaction score
Seahawks 1983 07

I remember his game against the Raiders, I believe a Monday Night Game, and they could not stop him. It was getting ridiculous but totally enjoyable to watch.

m0ng0

Reaction score
This just came to me, does anyone remember watching the -7 total yards game? That was awesome in a really weird way

Boohman14

Reaction score
The early years were so fun. I loved Sims but Zorn and Largent were my favorites in the beginning. I was excited when we got Mike Curtis from the Colts as I was a Colt fan prior to the Hawks. I only fully let go of the Colts when we drafted Michael Jackson from the U of W. Jackson was a Pasco native, my home town and I'd watched him growing up dominate as a running back in high school. It was so cool to have a neighbor on the hawks.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Those first four years were the BEST in my opinion. The town idolized them......even if the play on the field was lacking. Jim Zorn owned Seattle!

acer1240

Reaction score
Those first four years were the BEST in my opinion. The town idolized them......even if the play on the field was lacking. Jim Zorn owned Seattle!
Scrappy bunch. I was only 5 but I still remember alot. I remember being a fan of the Washington redskins before then because I thought they were from Washington.

I remember Largent in his drink milk commercials

Terry Love

Reaction score
This just came to me, does anyone remember watching the -7 total yards game? That was awesome in a really weird way
Yes, we were at that game, stayed to the end and applauded our players. Sometimes you have a game like that. In softball, we could win by 20 the first game and lose by 20 the next. Then would go to a bar, have some beers and sing. Palmers East in Redmond and the Lime in Kirkland. I tell people there was a Seahawks game like that, minus seven yards and they think I'm making it up. It was the Rams that we played. 11/4/1979 was the day.

Terry Love

Reaction score
Jim Zorn 10 was one, he was left handed so I would practice rolling to my left and throwing, even though I was right handed. Steve Largent 80, I borrowed some of his moves as a receiver, for my family games. Rufus Crawford 34 was an exciting kick returner. Efren Herrera 1, our kicker. Manu Tuiasosopo DT, Dave Brown 22 DB, Sherman Smith 47 RB, David Sims 35 RB

Seahawks 1978 jim zorn pamela

Jim Zorn giving Pamela an autograph.

Seahawks 1978 pam allison

Pamela, don't recognize without the number, and Allison.

Seahawks mike tice

Mike Tice 86, Tight End

Seahawks 1980 rufus crawford

Rufus Crawford, with Trinda, Zouhair, Morgan, Pamela, Allison, Laurie, Sandy, Jackie, Cheri.

Seahawks norm johnson

Seahawks steve largent 1

Steve Largent

RiverDog

Reaction score
Patera brought with him in the expansion draft a defensive tackle named Bob Lurtzsema, a.k.a. Benchwarmer Bob. He was a backup to the famed Purple People Eaters defensive line. He didn't do much for our team but the guy was a kick to listen to. He told a story about how as a Viking, he got in on a sack of Detroit Lions quarterback Bill Munson. Lurtzsema said to him "Hello, Munson, Lurtzsema here!" to which Munson replied "Jesus, I didn't think that we were THAT far behind!"