For all you poo pooing the draft picks....

Rainger

Reaction score
This doesn't happen much but NFL.com gave the Hawks the ONLY A+ in the draft, so for all of you melting down about the picks as AR would say RELAX.

The Hawks will address their line needs in the 2nd and later rounds where they should. RW the gift that keeps on giving for 2 years and beyond.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The Seahawks definitely were going with the best player available approach. They went out and got the consensus number one WR and CB. Both have an argument for being the best player available at the time considering Carter's baggage.

I don't fault this approach either, but I do got to say -- a bit disappointing in some ways considering our gaping hole at D-Line. I think both of these guys will be good players though and that's really all you can ask for.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
The Seahawks definitely were going with the best player available approach. They went out and got the consensus number one WR and CB. Both have an argument for being the best player available at the time considering Carter's baggage.

I don't fault this approach either, but I do got to say -- a bit disappointing in some ways considering our gaping hole at D-Line. I think both of these guys will be good players though and that's really all you can ask for.
Great OL and DL players are always found in the second and third round. I am sure they will address these needs. Also don't forget they did bring in FA's in those spots as well

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Even though I have nothing tangible to base this on, but, something tells me that the player that Carter is likely to become just wouldn't have happened had we picked him. He went to pretty much the best situation for him when you look at everything in totality. Similarly, 'Spoon more so than JSN, Weatherspoon landed in the ideal spot for him to reach his ceiling.

But Gottdammit that Philly D-Line is gonna be bonkers 🙄.

Fade

Reaction score
Great OL and DL players are always found in the second and third round. I am sure they will address these needs. Also don't forget they did bring in FA's in those spots as well
Huh? they usually go in the 1st. 300+ lb. men that are nimble and athletic enough to be elite players on the LoS are hard to come by. Not many human beings walking the earth that fit that profile.

WRs & CBs on the other hand routinely pop in the 2nd, 3rd, and beyond.

Let's hope the Seahawks draft board is correct and they made the right decision last night, and they can still get very good Lineman tonight, and leave it at that.

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Huh? they usually go in the 1st. 300+ lb. men that are nimble and athletic enough to be elite players on the LoS are hard to come by. Not many human beings walking the earth that fit that profile.

Let's hope the Seahawks draft board is correct and they made the right decision last night, and they can still get very good Lineman tonight, and leave it at that.
I understand your point but there are hundreds of Brandon Mebane's out there. 3rd round. Not every interior lineman needs to be an elite 1st rounder to have a solid line on either side of the ball.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Even though I have nothing tangible to base this on, but, something tells me that the player that Carter is likely to become just wouldn't have happened had we picked him. He went to pretty much the best situation for him when you look at everything in totality. Similarly, 'Spoon more so than JSN, Weatherspoon landed in the ideal spot for him to reach his ceiling.

But Gottdammit that Philly D-Line is gonna be bonkers 🙄.
A lot of journos were saying Carter's best chance of success would have been if he came here (or maybe the Lions). He is a real boom or bust prospect. I trust John that he was not worth the risk at 5 even if he goes on to be a stud. Though if he succeeds with the Eagles I think he would have done well here.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I understand your point but there are hundreds of Brandon Mebane's out there. 3rd round. Not every interior lineman needs to be an elite 1st rounder to have a solid line on either side of the ball.
Are there 100s of mebane's out there? We certainly haven't found one. He was the best interior D-Lineman we've had under Carroll if you don't consider Bennett being rolled inside.

The D-Line has consistently been the weakest aspect of Carroll's defenses. We've struggled to identify talent here. Most of those guys you mentioned weren't developed by Pete. Mebane and Bennett were Ruskell era picks, Clemons had previous success on the Eagles, Avril was already a very good DE on the Eagles.

The fact is, for the Seahawks Brandon Mebane's haven't been plentiful.

themunn

Reaction score

To be fair, we did win a superbowl with a D-Line consisting of UDFAs Michael Bennett, Chris Clemons & Tony McDaniel, 7th round pick Clint McDaniel, 4th round pick Red Bryant, and 3rd rounds pick Cliff Avril & Brandon Mebane

OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
Are there 100s of mebane's out there? We certainly haven't found one. He was the best interior D-Lineman we've had under Carroll if you don't consider Bennett being rolled inside.

The D-Line has consistently been the weakest aspect of Carroll's defenses. We've struggled to identify talent here. Most of those guys you mentioned weren't developed by Pete. Mebane and Bennett were Ruskell era picks, Clemons had previous success on the Eagles, Avril was already a very good DE on the Eagles.

The fact is, for the Seahawks Brandon Mebane's haven't been plentiful.
You missed my entire point. I was merely saying to Fade you don't need your lines to all be 1st rounders. it was not about your need to poo poo PC.

My point to Fade , if you would let go your hatred for Pete, was we can still build decent lines in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It doesn't matter who drafted Mebane the fact is there are many good players who do great that are found in the 2nd and 3rd round!

Stop the negativity and go with the flow. The F*ing draft isn't even over yet. And PS unless it went over your head I meant that every team in the NFL has good player's on their lines who were 2nd and third round picks. I wasn't just talking about Seattle. Given 32 teams that is a lot.

Finally this tread is about our first 2 picks NOT about our lines. Stop the Hijack

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rainger

Rainger

Reaction score
From Mel Kiper who I usually ignore. Listed Seattle as the 2nd best draft so far.

The picks: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois (No. 5); Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State (No. 20)

This is a nice Round 1 for Seattle, which owned a top-five pick as part of the Russell Wilson trade. While I would have gone with Jalen Carter over Witherspoon, the cornerback combo of Witherspoon and Tariq Woolen could quickly become one of the league's best. Witherspoon is my top-ranked corner, a true lockdown cover guy who can run with any receiver. For a team that wants to compete in the NFC West, he's ready to play as a rookie.

As for Smith-Njigba, he complements Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf extremely well, as I mentioned a month ago when I first made this pairing. I thought he might go a little bit higher, but he landed in a great spot. We're talking about a player who put up 1,600 yards and nine scores in 2021 when he was healthy. He can play outside or inside. Geno Smith has to be thrilled with this addition.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You missed my entire point. I was merely saying to Fade you don't need your lines to all be 1st rounders. it was not about your need to poo poo PC.

My point to Fade , if you would let go your hatred for Pete, was we can still build decent lines in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It doesn't matter who drafted Mebane the fact is there are many good players who do great that are found in the 2nd and 3rd round!

Stop the negativity and go with the flow. The F*ing draft isn't even over yet. And PS unless it went over your head I meant that every team in the NFL has good player's on their lines who were 2nd and third round picks. I wasn't just talking about Seattle. Given 32 teams that is a lot.

Finally this tread is about our first 2 picks NOT about our lines. Stop the Hijack
You started a thread title that said "for all of those poo pooing our draft picks" and went on to make a point about the draft picks. Afterwards you went on to say why those who those "poo pooing" the draft picks are wrong.

The way you worded this and presented it is a direct message to those unhappy with those picks with the reason why you believe they were the right answer.

You're trying to start a debate/discussion or at least given that impression with your choice of wording. Talking about the lines here is absolutely not hijacking this thread given the way your choice of words and content is structured.

The biggest issue people have with these picks are not the picks themselves, it's the positions that they play. We reinforced positions that we were stronger in. This is what is giving people a sense of draft malaise if you will.

Our first two picks were good players, but they don't address the core issue with this team, the giant elephant in the room. Our WR and secondary played relatively well. The D-Line on the other hand was among the worst in the NFL and at one point was on pace to give up historically bad numbers. We don't exactly have any depth here and we're lacking a true NT.

Carroll hasn't exactly been great at developing interior D-Line talent since he's been here either, while he's been fantastic at identifying later round DB/WR talent.

I'm just feeling antsy at our lack of a coherent plan with the D-Line. I like both Witherspoon and JSN, feel they were more luxury picks -- but will ultimately contribute to the team.

Fade

Reaction score
To be fair, we did win a superbowl with a D-Line consisting of UDFAs Michael Bennett, Chris Clemons & Tony McDaniel, 7th round pick Clint McDaniel, 4th round pick Red Bryant, and 3rd rounds pick Cliff Avril & Brandon Mebane
And that was a decade ago with guys they inherited, traded for, or signed as Free Agents. They didn't draft those guys.

We're talkin' draft.

Mike B - UFA
Clemons - Trade
Tony McDaniel - UFA
Clint McDonald - Trade
Red Bryant - Inherited (Ruskell Pick)
Cliff Avril - UFA
Mebane - Inherited (Ruskell Pick)

None of these guys were Pete and John draft picks.

It is a legit concern that they have never drafted a D-Lineman that has made a pro-bowl on their own roster. (Frank Clark made several on the Chiefs.)

Fade

Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahh

Yes. Yes. They grow on trees. What the hell was I thinking?

HawkinNY

Reaction score
This doesn't happen much but NFL.com gave the Hawks the ONLY A+ in the draft, so for all of you melting down about the picks as AR would say RELAX.

The Hawks will address their line needs in the 2nd and later rounds where they should. RW the gift that keeps on giving for 2 years and beyond.

And that is why this draft will suck. NFL.com gives your team a good grade this early means that it sucks. What did they give Seattle draft last year right after the draft happened?

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
And that is why this draft will suck. NFL.com gives your team a good grade this early means that it sucks. What did they give Seattle draft last year right after the draft happened?
The Jets got an A last year.:unsure:

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Can't tell if you are meaning that as a good thing or a bad, but the Jets did knock it out of the park last year.

1st pick - CB DROY
2nd pick - WR OROY
3rd pick - DE TBD Elite run stopper, meh rusher

Hmmm pattern looks familiar, and I could get behind it.
I meant it as to show that the post I quoted was an idiotic argument for why a draft would be bad. The jets obviously had a great draft.