Pundits' critique of Seahawks' draft picks

bileever

Reaction score
Grades for the Seahawks' picks in days 1 and 2 are all over the place, showing once again that the experts know nothing. Chad Reuter on nfl.com gives the Seahawks a C+ for day 2 after an A for day 1. Scott Dochterman at the Athletic, on the other hand, gives the Seahawks a B for Hall and a B+ for Charbonnet. Chris Trapasso from CBS Sports was split, giving the Seahawks an A- for Hall but a C for Charbonnet. Charles McDonald of Yahoo Sports was way harsh, giving the Seahawks a C+ for Hall and a D for the Charbonnet pick.

The bad grades on Zach Charbonnet are puzzling because he was ranked pretty high. What's interesting is that although all the draft gurus talk about taking the "best player available", when they analyze each team's picks, they focus in on that team's needs. Almost every bad grade on Zach Charbonnet is based on the fact that the Seahawks already have Kenneth Walker. This is dumb for several reasons. First, none of these experts seem to realize that the Seahawks' running back room is almost empty. Second, they also don't seem to realize that in the NFL, you can't even get through one game with just one RB. Third, they don't acknowledge the fact that RBs get injured--not just Walker, but didn't they see Derrick Henry, Breece Hall, Rashaad Penny and even Walker go down last year?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
3 is a starting number. End arounds using WRs helps...but that is easy to detect when defenses see it. Pundits are goofy.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Grades for the Seahawks' picks in days 1 and 2 are all over the place, showing once again that the experts know nothing. Chad Reuter on nfl.com gives the Seahawks a C+ for day 2 after an A for day 1. Scott Dochterman at the Athletic, on the other hand, gives the Seahawks a B for Hall and a B+ for Charbonnet. Chris Trapasso from CBS Sports was split, giving the Seahawks an A- for Hall but a C for Charbonnet. Charles McDonald of Yahoo Sports was way harsh, giving the Seahawks a C+ for Hall and a D for the Charbonnet pick.

The bad grades on Zach Charbonnet are puzzling because he was ranked pretty high. What's interesting is that although all the draft gurus talk about taking the "best player available", when they analyze each team's picks, they focus in on that team's needs. Almost every bad grade on Zach Charbonnet is based on the fact that the Seahawks already have Kenneth Walker. This is dumb for several reasons. First, none of these experts seem to realize that the Seahawks' running back room is almost empty. Second, they also don't seem to realize that in the NFL, you can't even get through one game with just one RB. Third, they don't acknowledge the fact that RBs get injured--not just Walker, but didn't they see Derrick Henry, Breece Hall, Rashaad Penny and even Walker go down last year?
It’s their job to generate clicks and stir up controversy.
Generally folks look for those guys to confirm their own bias, and when that doesn’t happen the outrage still works in favor of the pundits.

We all know that it will be mid/late season before we can actually grade our draft, and many times it’s the season after.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Charbonnet and JSN were drafted primarily to sustain offensive drives, especially on 3rd downs.

Charbonnet will become the 3rd and short best option... and adding JSN to DK and Tyler in 3WR sets on 3rd and intermediate to 3rd and long will spread the field with three excellent receivers.

That's Pete's plan... at least I think that it is.

Chawker

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks were 30th in the NFL last year in run defense, here is Pete and John staring at the strongest nose tackle coming out college this year and, a draft that is filled with WR talent late in the draft. And do they select the one guy who could of had a huge difference on our defense and have been better as far as cap space down the road. Hell NO !
They LET the Cowboys take him six picks later.

The swinging gate defense is back for 2023. Huge mistake !

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
They know exactly what they’re doing. Getting people clicking on their site and tell other people about it so they also click on their sites. Sometimes they even get people who have nothing but disdain for their expertise to all of a sudden point to their site because it happens to line up with their biased view on a rare occasion. Drafts usually take 2-3 years to thoroughly grade. Some players are depth and don’t see meaningful playing time for awhile, some flash early and suck, some are thrown in too early and take a season or two to come into their game.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks were 30th in the NFL last year in run defense, here is Pete and John staring at the strongest nose tackle coming out college this year and, a draft that is filled with WR talent late in the draft. And do they select the one guy who could of had a huge difference on our defense and have been better as far as cap space down the road. Hell NO !

I love the guys we picked and was even intrigued about AR at 5. Was definitely concerned with Carter due to the slew of stuff we saw recently.

With that said….I too expected a guy like Smith or Kancey.

Witherspoon is a stud for sure and you take JSN each and every single time if he’s there at 20.

IF I were forced to change anything, I would’ve moved back from 5 and snatched one of the aforementioned at whatever spot I nabbed in the trade while still taking JSN.

Forced being the key word….I’m happy with our guys.

Mick063

Reaction score
Pete and John made references to intense phone calls during the draft. It is exponentially easier to say "I woulda got on the phone" than to actually accomplish your objective by getting on the phone. They obviously didn't capitulate to excessive demands. You gotta pick up the code words from Pete and John like "random draft", "unusual draft", and "strange draft". Why the code words? Because they have to reassure the players that they picked that they wanted them, while at the same time, explaining to the public/media that they were working the phones to address team needs. It isn't as if they didn't try or didn't want coveted players that folks are crying about.

As for the ones they obviously "passed" on? I will trust the assessment of their scouting department over a YouTube mock draft. They saw a red flag or saw better value elsewhere.

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score

Yea I was a bit concerned about run defense as well.
Yes they didn’t take a huge run stuffing lineman but…..

They made moves that should improve our run defense significantly.

The DB and LB both have large potential to contribute.
Took me a minute and a bit of research but my concerns were diminished significantly.

If those guys start or figure into the regular rotation we’re going to be better at stopping the run.

Chawker

Reaction score
Witherspoon was the right selection at 5.

I was referring to the 20th pick. A WR over there top priority, A DT would of been nice, it would of been smart money.

There was one time where the cameras showed the war roon and Jode was clearly upset and questioning John and Pete and she didn't look non too happy.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
I NEVER listen to the pro's. I think they had a decent draft. They can't always have a hall of fame draft that being said I give them a B+. I just think the draft didn't fall to them the way they wanted it too but they did a REALLY good job of picking quality players, just not at our needs early. I think they still need DT and Linebacker help in FA which means JS is going to have to restructure some contracts... No big deal just get it done.

toffee

Reaction score
Media gurus, are still with the OLD running backs shouldn't be drafted in high rounds. GMs and HCs, on the other hand, have moved on.

pmedic920

Reaction score

I was referring to the 20th pick. A WR over there top priority, A DT would of been nice, it would of been smart money.

There was one time where the cameras showed the war roon and Jode was clearly upset and questioning John and Pete and she didn't look non too happy.
Are you saying that she wanted a particular player and was upset that Pete and John didn’t pick that player?

If so, that scenario seems very unlikely to me.

Wish we had a way of knowing for sure.

Maulbert

Reaction score

JSN was better value at 20 than Mazi Smith. If you'd rather we reached instead of found good value, let me direct you to our drafts from 2013-2021.

Edit- also, if you don't think we needed receiving help, I don't know what team you watched last year. We had NOTHING behind Lockett and DK except spit and bailing wire.