Free Agent list with ages and WAR stat

DJrmb

Reaction score
simply put, the mariners are run like a business, the mariners are a cashcow for mariners ownership. after 21 straight years of not making the playoffs, now would have been the time, if any, that i would have thought that they would open up their checkbooks and put the team in contention for WS. this situation paired with an amazing FA market, filled with 5+ WAR players at key positions that needed upgraded.

but nope, everything is done through trades for mid-tier, cost-controlled players.

but of course.
Yeah, it pisses me off that most of the people on the local radio shows are still spouting the stupid thought that the Mariners can't spend like the big name teams. All the facts point to that being completely false. This is not a mid-market team like Dipoto said when asked about spending recently. I get that he has bosses and he can't exactly throw them under the bus when asked those kinds of questions so he has to save face for them. But the media needs to get the story right and not back up the fake narrative that the Mariners can't afford to spend big. That's a completely false statement, and if they actually believe that then they aren't doing their jobs. Not to mention that the Padres are spending as much or more than anyone, and they're a much smaller market team!

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
the astros were always perennial small market team. jim crane bought the astros in 2011, and has made them perennial contenders. the astros joined the al west in 2013. at the time, the astros had the lowest payroll in the mlb in both 2013 and 2014 (at ~44m). now, they are solidly in the top 10 in payroll (last year at #8 ~183m). they outspent the mariners by over 50m last season. 50 ******* million. they have won 4 al pennants since 2017, including 2 WS titles.

ownership matters. we have a top 1 fanbase and top 7 market, but are stuck with a bottom 3 ownership group. it is what it is.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Agreed. This off-season FA class was one of the best ive seen and they did borderline nothing. Hernandez is the Hanny replacement. Outside of that they did nothing. How is this team better than last years?

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
How is this team better than last years?
it probably isn't my guy, it probably isn't. texas got better. houston lost verlander but is about the same. a's are the a's.

we're back to staring mediocrity in the face. hey, atleast the current group are fun to watch: juilo, big dumper, castillo, eugenio

DJrmb

Reaction score
Agreed. This off-season FA class was one of the best ive seen and they did borderline nothing. Hernandez is the Hanny replacement. Outside of that they did nothing. How is this team better than last years?
Borderline this team is worse than they were going into the playoffs. As you said TeOscar is Mitch's replacement. Wong is Frazier's replace. I don't see either one as much of an upgrade (Wong slightly over Frazier, but Mitch was better than TeOscar when healthy), those were just moves they had to make to stay the same...

They lost statistically their best BP arm in Swanson. They also lost Santana who single handedly won 2-3 games with clutch power and saved them when France went down and they needed someone to man 1B.

I see a net loss currently.

Last edited:

Latest posts