Good article about Russell Wilson's value

godawg

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 21033.html

For over thirty years the Seahawks have survived without a franchise quarterback, and now that we've finally found him, his salary makes him even more valuable because of the flexibility the team has to surround him with talent. Russell Wilson was worth the wait. Thank you John Schneider. Perhaps after this year you can claim the accolades you clearly deserved last year.

Cartire

Reaction score
godawg":188kpgfu said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-quarterback-salary-comparison-tells-why-russell-wilson-204321033.html

For over thirty years the Seahawks have survived without a franchise quarterback, and now that we've finally found him, his salary makes him even more valuable because of the flexibility the team has to surround him with talent. Russell Wilson was worth the wait. Thank you John Schneider. Perhaps after this year you can claim the accolades you clearly deserved last year.

I think its pretty harsh to Hasselbeck to not think of him as a Franchise QB.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Yeah, Hass was a franchise QB imo. However, the Hawk have never had an "Elite" QB(Brees, Brady, Manning, Rogers, etc) There is a difference between the 2. Franchise=very, very good. Elite=Franchise+HOF material.
Russell is Franchise. Time will tell if he is Elite and I think that is a goal of his so I am very hopeful. GoHawks!!!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Cartire":nbcuo090 said:
godawg":nbcuo090 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-quarterback-salary-comparison-tells-why-russell-wilson-204321033.html

I think its pretty harsh to Hasselbeck to not think of him as a Franchise QB.
I never thought of Matt being a "true" franchise QB.

He definitely was on the cusp but it was the frequency of the bonehead plays that held him back in my mind.

2005 was a magical year for Matt. I personally felt that Matt deserved the team MVP over Shaun even though Shaun won the league MVP that year.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
That chart is somewhat flawed. Averaging out is not a true representation since contracts like Flacco's include imaginary money he will never see on the back end of his contract. Flacco's last three years are cap hits of $28.5, $31 and $24.8. He will never see that money. It is really a 3 year - $40 million contract.

RW is still an amazing value, but some of the comparisons are not a true picture and make it appear better than it is.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
For you too say Flacco won't see that money is ludacris . maybe he won't count 31m against the cap and he might get an extension for cap relief , similar to what Stafford just did.

When it comes time to pay Wilson I envision something along the lines of 7/130 , 90 mill guaranteed .

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
Although I liked Hass, and loved his performance against the Redskins in '05, he never had the calm under fire and accuracy to be a franchise QB, as I think of the term.

sc85sis

Reaction score
In his lambasting of Jacksonville he conveniently leaves out the fact they are in year one of a new regime whereas the Hawks are heading into year four. While there's certainly merit to his argument that it can be worthwhile to take a flyer on a mid-round WB, the Jags also have other personnel issues to deal with. They appear to be taking a similar approach to that previously used by John and Pete: rebuild so that you have a solid team before you get your new QB.

Russell also isn't your typical round three QB. The odds of another team getting the same level of play out of a mid-round QB aren't going to be as good.

kearly

Reaction score
Matt Hasselbeck was one of the five to ten best QBs in the NFL from 2002 to 2007. I think Dave Krieg probably passed the franchise QB test too, if you can forgive how erratic and fumble prone he was. Most of the time, Krieg was a dangerous QB. Warren Moon wasn't bad in his time here either.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Matt Hasslebeck was maybe top ten QBs from 2004-2006 but really considering his offense get real. I thank god every day as a seahawks fan I don't have to watch that bs qb play anymore. Really to be a top 5 quarterback ,even in college football you should be able to throw a ball to Recievers 20 yards down the field. It was like oh hasselbeck is throwing a deepball its not going to be in the realm of close to being catchable.

Latest posts