Hall of Famer Kenny Easley (update: he made it!)

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
(My apologies for passing along incomplete information. At the edge of my seat at the time, along with all of you. So happy right now.)

kidhawk

Reaction score
This made my whole weekend. This is well deserved and I absolutely cannot wait for the official induction ceremony

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AWESOME! WAY OVERDUE!

Congrats Kenny!

What a great day! :0190l: :2thumbs: :179422:

Seafan

Reaction score
Way overdue. Congrats, Kenny!!! This is great for him, the franchise, the city and his fans. He was one of the most intimidating and talented players in league history. Glad he finally made it. Well deserved.

aredub

Reaction score
Absolutely well deserved! I'm excited about this! Met him one time and he is a super great dude. Tomorrow I'll rock my Easley jersey in his honor!

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

:irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

45 . . . get it?

Congrats Kenny!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is almost as good as a Seahawks Super Bowl Championship. A great and long overdue day for Kenny. Ronnie Lott would be the first one to say "It's about damn time!"

Heyseed

Reaction score
:2thumbs: THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!
Congratulations Mr. Easley

chris98251

Reaction score
Happy for all our fans, mostly those that seen him play. Happiest for Kenny, he will be able to enjoy his long overdue moment I hope this pre season. #45 gets retired now I hope.

Kenny easley the enforcer

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":zi7fkc53 said:
chris98251":zi7fkc53 said:
That's why he is getting in on the Veterans committee or whatever it's called, modern day players would not survive in his era long, they are to big of pussies, they think about the money mostly and not the game, won't play with a hang nail many times etc, not all there are still some throw backs, we have a lot on our team, but look around the league, toughness isn't across the board anymore. There are also the tough guys that are whiney bitches, looking at you Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

I've gone through this exercise every time Easley's name has come up for HOF consideration. There has only been one post merger HOF inductee, Earl Campbell at 8 seasons vs. Easley's 7, with a career that didn't span at least 10 seasons, but his name was much more widely recognized than Easley's is. Also add into the equation that Easley never played in a Super Bowl, which at times can be used as a justification to admit a player that otherwise wouldn't have met the unwritten standards.

If Easley does make it, the HOF would be lowering the bar and forced to consider names they've previously rejected, for example Bert Jones or may have to reject in the future due to career longevity. Plus you have to ask this question: How many players, for example Shaun Alexander, might have made the HOF had their careers ended at 7 seasons? That's the argument Easley's candidacy is going to have to overcome.
After reading your post before this and this one I have to my put my 2 cents in.Gayle Sayers was clearly on another level before getting hurt,he did things that nobody has done since and that was in a era where there were not many rules to prolong or protect and the fact is he was voted in extra early(The only one)Earl Campbell the one who wore tear away jerseys so he could gain extra yards and Td's never made it to the SB.Who can forget the shot Jack Tatum delivered that knocked him out and into the end zone.The players who know and understand the game Voted Easley in and it is only right.The man clearly stood out on the field.The injury he suffered and no SB was not his fault.A Hof Ronnie Lott said Easley was the best and even better than him so that alone should be good enough for any doubters.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
WHOOOOOT!!!!!!! :0190l: I'm just am hearing this news for the first time this morning. About ... freaking ... time. Congratulations Kenny on the Hall of Fame. It's a WELL deserved honor that's long, long overdue. No offense to Kam Chancellor ... But to this day, you remain the best Strong Safety that I have ever seen. Greatest Strong Safety in the history of the NFL in my opinion.

I've posted this many times ... but in light of this wonderful news, it seems appropriate to do so again. For those like me who remember Kenny Easley ... and watched him as a player ... this never gets old. And for the young bucks out there who never had the privilege of watching the Great Kenny Easley ... and have somehow never seen this ... here is just a snippet of who he was as a player ...

[youtube]quxbCQ4m8Ww[/youtube]