Historically, how bad is this defense?

tersal

Reaction score
Fade":28udscd7 said:
LTH":28udscd7 said:
Fade":28udscd7 said:
Ken Norton had 2 major gaffes that made the score way closer than it actually was.

1) KJ Wright matched up 1-on-1 with a WR. -Roasted for a long TD. Not KJ's fault, bad coaching, KYP. Bevell level.

2) On another play Norton was playing man, but was showing zone to mask he was playing man, so he had Griffin way out of alignment. -Roasted for a long TD.

2 egregiously bad calls by Norton that put his players out of position, so of course they failed. Defending him at this point, would be like defending Tom Cable. You will look foolish if you do.

That mixed in with Tre Flowers out "Kelly Jenningsing", Kelly Jennings, these are the results you will get.

Pete needs to make a change mid-year if things like this continue to happen. He definitely needs to get a new DC when the year is out. Norton would not be a DC anywhere else in the league. He ranks at or near the bottom.

And finally I will continue to point this out. The Seahawks have ranked worse on defense year on year for 6 straight seasons. They are now well on pace for a 7th straight season. Not only that, they are now record breaking bad.

If Norton was as bad as you say he is the Hawks wouldn't be 3-0... the fact that they are 3-0 is because the D stepped up and made plays when they needed too... Stats dont win football games heart and clutch plays do...

LTH
Norton's track record as a DC is documented and speaks for itself. They're 3-0 because the QB is playing at an historic pace and the other teams can't keep up. Meanwhile the defense is currently 2nd worst all time, nearly worst all time through 3 games. People choose to die on the dumbest hills.

To quote former NBA coach Doug Moe "As long as we score more than the other team who played better defense?"
Entirely different sport I know, the point being I will take a 50-49 superbowl win with over a thousand yards combined offense.

tersal

Reaction score
Chapow":19ji548k said:
Yardage wise, this defense is obviously absolutely dreadful.

Points wise, there are 10 teams in the league right now that are giving up more points per game than we are, and the Packers have given up exactly 1 less point on the season than we have.

What is more important in football, points or yards?

Like I posted last week, I have a hard time coming to the conclusion that we are worse than teams that are giving up more points than we are. That just doesn't make much sense to me. Our D isn't even in the bottom 10 in points per game allowed.

And no, that doesn't mean I think the D is fine or whatever. They quite obviously aren't very good. But historically bad yet not even in the bottom 10 in points per game allowed this season? OK. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Once again just employed this reply:
To quote former NBA coach Doug Moe "As long as we score more than the other team who played better defense?"
Entirely different sport I know, the point being I will take a 50-49 superbowl win with over a thousand yards combined offense.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Doug Moe has exactly zero titles to go along with that philosophy too. Just thought i'd point that out.

sutz

Reaction score
This year has been an anomaly. I fully expect defenses to start picking up the pace a bit and slow down the torrent of offense we've seen so far this season.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
It's a nail-biting way of winning but I don't see how it's any less sustainable that past years where so many wins would come from the D holding up and the offence tripping all over themselves for 3 quarters until Russ did his magic in the 4th.
I have to admit even though both ways of winning are nail-biting this is more fun to watch, for me anyway.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This season has def. been more exciting imo. You just have to CHOOSE to roll with it and enjoy the rollercoaster. Which is absolutely maddening at times, but that's who they are right now. But they are also 3-0.
A lot better than doom and gloom, the Hawks D is the worst ever, Fitz will put up 400 yards and 40 points blah blah blah. Waste of energy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I just heard Brock Huard on the radio say that O-line holding penalties are down almost 40% this year, so there's obviously been a concerted effort by the league and officials to not call holding penalties as tight as they normally would because of the lack of camp and pre-season games.

Maybe that changes as the year goes along? Idk, but it's one of the many factors contributing in the offensive explosion we're seeing all over the league.

tersal

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2bf9ypzq said:
Doug Moe has exactly zero titles to go along with that philosophy too. Just thought i'd point that out.
A valid point noted but it is a great line.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1311755946226454528[/tweet]

Way to be on the same page guys! :D

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1311406971652771840[/tweet]
Interesting… :shock:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Norton has been bad at every stop. My fear is his strengths match Pete's when we need someone who can fill in gaps where Pete has them and Pete can use his strengths to do the same. Seems like Norton has made some changes along the front but the coverage has been so bad it doesn't matter. I think Fade is right though, situationally Norton has been bad.

tersal

Reaction score
Fade":3cr3ocvw said:

Nice post Fade, miss the ruminations this season. Always a good read!

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":3lfksrub said:

yes... the Seahawks secondary needs to improve... As far as Nortons comment he never gives anything in a press conference just a bunch of crap..they answer questions as vanilla as possible..Nortons comment was just something they say to fill space..

Lets see how the secondary plays this week Im betting we see better play...

LTH