Historically, how bad is this defense?

tersal

Reaction score
Everyone please give it a break. The team is 3-0 also last year's Superbowl champions started the season horrendously improved enough during the second half of the season to help the offense win the Superbowl. It can happen. Enjoy the undefeated start.

JGreen79

Reaction score
The Chiefs last year allowed over 300 yards passing 3 times all year(Week 1, Week 11, and Divisional Round).
They allowed less than 200 yards passing 7 times.
Over the first three games they allowed 774 yards passing.

I'm not worried however. There still plenty of season left, and they just need to limit the explosive plays on defense.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":1ikhyurf said:
LTH":1ikhyurf said:
Fade":1ikhyurf said:
Ken Norton had 2 major gaffes that made the score way closer than it actually was.

1) KJ Wright matched up 1-on-1 with a WR. -Roasted for a long TD. Not KJ's fault, bad coaching, KYP. Bevell level.

2) On another play Norton was playing man, but was showing zone to mask he was playing man, so he had Griffin way out of alignment. -Roasted for a long TD.

2 egregiously bad calls by Norton that put his players out of position, so of course they failed. Defending him at this point, would be like defending Tom Cable. You will look foolish if you do.

That mixed in with Tre Flowers out "Kelly Jenningsing", Kelly Jennings, these are the results you will get.

Pete needs to make a change mid-year if things like this continue to happen. He definitely needs to get a new DC when the year is out. Norton would not be a DC anywhere else in the league. He ranks at or near the bottom.

And finally I will continue to point this out. The Seahawks have ranked worse on defense year on year for 6 straight seasons. They are now well on pace for a 7th straight season. Not only that, they are now record breaking bad.

If Norton was as bad as you say he is the Hawks wouldn't be 3-0... the fact that they are 3-0 is because the D stepped up and made plays when they needed too... Stats dont win football games heart and clutch plays do...

LTH
Norton's track record as a DC is documented and speaks for itself. They're 3-0 because the QB is playing at an historic pace and the other teams can't keep up. Meanwhile the defense is currently 2nd worst all time, nearly worst all time through 3 games. People choose to die on the dumbest hills.

You dont get it... on a Pete Carroll teams Stats dont mean anything they are just a tool for progress...Its about the journey to get better to be the best...So what if the Seahawks D is the worst ever...they have the talent to turn things around they just need some time... Right now Norton is part of that...

this thing about all the success Wilson is having? He is NOT the only reason the Hawks are 3-0... the fact is the D did their job against NE all Wilson had to do is hand the ball off to Carson to get one yard and they would have clinched the game.... but the Seahawks chose to throw the bomb... ok ... that's who they are... I have no problem with that but It was the Seahawk D that stopped NE last drive and saved the game... THAT'S JUST A FACT! they did the Same thing against Dallas...

So poo poo them all you want but its you that doesn't get it... yeah they have some issues... they will work through them like they do every year because it's all about the journey something you dont get... stats dont win football games... High character and clutch plays wins football games... Gosh Sundays must be hard for you LOL...

Sac

Reaction score
Lmaooo

We've played Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, and Dak Prescott, all playing catch up. The defense isn't anywhere near as bad as people think.

Never mind the fact that we're practically in a golden age for QBs.

When in history have so many teams had clear cut stating caliber QBs in the NFL?

Matt Hasselbeck (in his prime) as much as we all love him, would have a hard time finding a roster spot on any team today.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Nothing numbers-wise but I think the thing that bothered me most in the last two games is when the team got a 2 score lead and the D was in a position to get a stop and let the O really take control of the game, they've given up big plays and the opponent has got right back into it. In the Pats game it was after the Newton pick and the TD to go up 28-17. I think the first play the Pats ran was the long completion to Edelmen.
Last Sunday up 30-15 and after a great punt and and penalty the Cowboys were backed up inside their 10. They got the long play to Gallup and I think it was about 4 plays total and they tied it.

ducks41468

Reaction score
What people are obviously concerned by are the trends, given that this team has been notorious for scraping their way to 10-11 wins and then fizzling out in the playoffs as soon as they play a decent team. It would be nice to do better than that one day.

TypeSly

Reaction score
All you "3-0" guys, can you honestly say you're confident? We're scoring 35 pts a game, and biting our nails for every one. How long can this last?

Just go with the "eye-test". What I'm seeing is the opposing QB's have all day in the pocket, especially at the most crucial times in the game.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
This defense is as bad as this offense is as good!

This may very well be the best offense of the entire Seahawks franchise history.

Yet, subsequently, it may also very well be the worst defense of the entire Seahawks franchise history.

We can never seem to get a packaged deal...both a great offense and at same time a great defense.

2013-14 has been the closest thing to a full package.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TypeSly":3dniwl0k said:
Just go with the "eye-test". What I'm seeing is the opposing QB's have all day in the pocket, especially at the most crucial times in the game.

So has Russell, so has every QB in the league.

Did you watch the MNF game last night? Mahomes made the #1 scoring defense in the entire league look like a high school JV team.

People greatly underestimated how important crowds are to slowing down all these talented veteran QB's that are having their way with defenses because it's WAY too easy to read the defense, make audibles and protection changes.

Not making excuses for our terrible DB play, but it's certainly a big part of it, because it's not isolated to just our defense.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zmxpx5v said:
TypeSly":2zmxpx5v said:

Did you watch the MNF game last night? Mahomes made the #1 scoring defense in the entire league look like a high school JV team.

People greatly underestimated how important crowds are to slowing down all these talented veteran QB's that are having their way with defenses because it's WAY too easy to read the defense, make audibles and protection changes.

Not making excuses for our terrible DB play, but it's certainly a big part of it, because it's not isolated to just our defense.

I seem to remember a whole lot of threads about Wilson, not scrambling well, and not throwing well under pressure against Dallas. Of course he ended up doing it well later... but you are making excuses for the D.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1w6s1g7u said:
Ok Type, are they 3-0 or not? Simple yes or no question.

YESSSS... and? Is that the end of any discussion, except rose-colored ones?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TypeSly":2yuhpaql said:
Sgt. Largent":2yuhpaql said:
TypeSly":2yuhpaql said:

I seem to remember a whole lot of threads about Wilson, not scrambling well, and not throwing well under pressure against Dallas. Of course he ended up doing it well later... but you are making excuses for the D.

Can you link me up those threads?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ok Type, everything sucks. And being 3-0 sucks. NOBODY is claiming the Defense is great, or even good right now.
Better? I'll take the positive vibe over Debbie Downer crap every day of the week. This fascination with telling people to NOT enjoy winning is really played out on here. I feel bad for the Horse.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w5bz3ao said:
TypeSly":1w5bz3ao said:
Sgt. Largent":1w5bz3ao said:
TypeSly":1w5bz3ao said:

Can you link me up those threads?

All in the game-day forum on Sunday.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2sq1u9qm said:
Ok Type, everything sucks. And being 3-0 sucks. NOBODY is claiming the Defense is great, or even good right now.
Better? I'll take the positive vibe over Debbie Downer crap every day of the week. This fascination with telling people to NOT enjoy winning is really played out on here. I feel bad for the Horse.

Hey, am I happy that we're 3-0? Ecstatic! I just hope the D gets better before the wheels fall off, that's all.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I posted some numbers in another thread but the key stat right now for the defense in my mind is that they are allowing 51% conversion on 3rd down. Other than that most other pertinent stats are nearly the same as last year. The pass yards concern me a little mostly because a lot of the yards are coming over the top which just isn’t what we typically see from them. Through three games they have faced 43 more pass attempts over last year. With their talent I think they can clean up both of these areas.

StoneCold

Reaction score
The defense is so bad I am no longer on the edge of my seat when the opposing team has the ball. I know what's going to happen. I know we're not getting off the field on 3rd and 8. I know there will be a lot of points scored. I know it's going to come down to a crazy finish. It's the Kubler-Ross 5 stages of grief. I've reached acceptance.

Latest posts