Hot names for the new OC

rsRyno

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":26zq7u96 said:
massari":26zq7u96 said:
Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

There is definitely some skepticism in the coaching ranks as to how attractive this job is, even with a talent the likes of Russell Wilson to work with (and those receivers).
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... l-oc-more/
I said previously it will not be easy to land an OC with Seattle.

Especially knowing Carroll likes vanilla scheme now.

Coordinators hoping to be head coaches would have a rather hard time showcasing their playbook with Carroll’s direction.

Carroll will be especially hard pressed to find someone that can “tame” Wilson and hold Wilson accountable when Wilson does not want to run all the time. I remember when they first hired Schotty, they were looking for someone that could “manage” Wilson and tell him, “no, etc.” cause Carroll himself was not willing to do so.

If any posters here that may recall that, please feel oblige to post it, but what Carroll wants is a coordinator that will be a henchman to Carroll and call a vanilla game plan which runs contrary to what rising coaches in this league will want to do especially if they want to be considered a great caller and be a head coach one day.

You will not get that being a Carroll long term offensive coordinator.

We have all seen in it with Bates, Bevell, and Schottenheimer.

I have quite literally no recollection of ever hearing this even being a rumor. I too would love someone else giving insight in to this.

John63

Reaction score
rsRyno":2kfzauuh said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2kfzauuh said:
massari":2kfzauuh said:
Seahawks having a hard time finding guys who want to work with Carroll:

There is definitely some skepticism in the coaching ranks as to how attractive this job is, even with a talent the likes of Russell Wilson to work with (and those receivers).
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... l-oc-more/
I said previously it will not be easy to land an OC with Seattle.

Especially knowing Carroll likes vanilla scheme now.

Coordinators hoping to be head coaches would have a rather hard time showcasing their playbook with Carroll’s direction.

Carroll will be especially hard pressed to find someone that can “tame” Wilson and hold Wilson accountable when Wilson does not want to run all the time. I remember when they first hired Schotty, they were looking for someone that could “manage” Wilson and tell him, “no, etc.” cause Carroll himself was not willing to do so.

If any posters here that may recall that, please feel oblige to post it, but what Carroll wants is a coordinator that will be a henchman to Carroll and call a vanilla game plan which runs contrary to what rising coaches in this league will want to do especially if they want to be considered a great caller and be a head coach one day.

You will not get that being a Carroll long term offensive coordinator.

We have all seen in it with Bates, Bevell, and Schottenheimer.

I have quite literally no recollection of ever hearing this even being a rumor. I too would love someone else giving insight in to this.

I don't recall that but would not surprise me. Pc is in a pickle. He needs Wilson to pull his arse out of the in the 4th qtr, but on the other hand does not want a top qb but a middle of the road take no chances qb. Problem is he needs Wilson.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Lombardi gone to LA Chargers. Fine by me, I don't think he's the best candidate for Seattle.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1353511545389641728[/tweet]

nwHawk

Reaction score
I remember the comments when Shotty was hired, and they have stuck with me. That's part of the reason I have questioned Russell's play harshly this season.

Does this sound familiar:

From an article Jan 2018, Bevell's last season.

Russell Wilson led the NFL with 34 touchdown passes this season but was regularly underwhelming during slow first-half performances that put stress on Seattle’s defense and often had the Seahawks playing from behind.

Schottenheimer’s biggest challenge will be re-energizing a Seattle running game that disappeared this season.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/16/seahawks-announce-hires-of-brian-schottenheimer-ke/

This article relates to the question asked:

When the Seattle Seahawks hired Brian Schottenheimer during the offseason a lot of observers, myself included, were highly critical of the hire and did not like the move. Brought in to hold quarterback Russell Wilson accountable and to challenge Wilson “more than ever”, his primary mission seemed to be to create pocket presence and awareness for Wilson consistent with prototypical quarterback play.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/10/...mer-pocket-presence-russell-wilson-discipline

Doug Baldwin talks about the Shotty hiring and how he will hold everyone accountable. Jan 26, 2018 - Seahawks.com

There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile".

I could go on and on, but you guys can look crap up yourself if your bored.

If I am an OC candidate, I'm more worried about Russ than Pete.

misfit

Reaction score
It seemed when they hired schotty they wanted Russ to run less and him to stay a pocket passer

But most people laughed at the hire cuz schotty had never done anything of substance as an oc. And even he didn't want to be pete's scapegoat anymore

keasley45

Reaction score
nwHawk":1fo1jsvu said:
I remember the comments when Shotty was hired, and they have stuck with me. That's part of the reason I have questioned Russell's play harshly this season.

Does this sound familiar:

From an article Jan 2018, Bevell's last season.

Russell Wilson led the NFL with 34 touchdown passes this season but was regularly underwhelming during slow first-half performances that put stress on Seattle’s defense and often had the Seahawks playing from behind.

Schottenheimer’s biggest challenge will be re-energizing a Seattle running game that disappeared this season.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/16/seahawks-announce-hires-of-brian-schottenheimer-ke/

This article relates to the question asked:

When the Seattle Seahawks hired Brian Schottenheimer during the offseason a lot of observers, myself included, were highly critical of the hire and did not like the move. Brought in to hold quarterback Russell Wilson accountable and to challenge Wilson “more than ever”, his primary mission seemed to be to create pocket presence and awareness for Wilson consistent with prototypical quarterback play.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2018/10/...mer-pocket-presence-russell-wilson-discipline

Doug Baldwin talks about the Shotty hiring and how he will hold everyone accountable. Jan 26, 2018 - Seahawks.com

There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile".

I could go on and on, but you guys can look crap up yourself if your bored.

If I am an OC candidate, I'm more worried about Russ than Pete.

I think this point needs to be considered. Its not hard to make the case that Shotty was trying to get Russ out of his slump last year in the second half by being a better passer. Giving him things he did reasonably well, and dialing up plans that SHOULD have given Russ the oppoortunity to beat some of the looks the Offense was getting from defenses. To say Russ struggled isnt bashing or a leap. Its there in almost every game if you want to go back and look through the All22.

Come season's end, given how things went, Schotty, who was brought in to push Russ, lobbies to continue the course to get Russ to the next level as a pocket passer. Pete's seen enough and wants to go back to more of what the team was early on (play to what Russ does well - extend plays ) and run the ball, because he has less faith that Russ can adapt. 9 years. Bevell tried toward the end of his tenure. Schotty tried.

None of this is to say that Russ isnt great. He is. And Pete doesnt mind what he is because he thinks he can win with it if he doesnt push Russ beyond his limit.

ENTIRELY plausible that if there's a sense from candiadtes that the OC job isnt appealing that it could be the challenge of scripting a gameplan every week that cant be measured on it own merit because it gets rewritten by a master of improv at QB that has yet to be either truly made to adhere to script or adequately developed that aspect of his game.

After all, the OC at the end of the day will be measured not entirely by stats, but by his offense's ability to consistently perform at a high level, and for that success to be part of a plan, so that it can be measured, modified week to week, and adapt to an opposing team's weaknesses. The players make the plan go. If player #1 (QB) cant be corralled, even if you are putting up big passing numbers, the offense as a whole, will be inconsistent, save for your QB's individual talent and ability to make plays on his own, will be difficult to adapt, be subject to stagnation, and invariably beatable.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile"."

I can't imagine Pete telling anyone, except maybe Mrs. Carroll, that about RW. If he actually had said that for public consumption, RW should/ould have asked for a trade.

ducks41468

Reaction score
I don't think there's some conspiracy here, we just have a habit of making lazy hires at the position coupled with Russ's own lack of development and Pete's stubbornness.

kf3339

Reaction score
None of us have any idea why it's taken so long to make a new OC hire. But the fact that we are still waiting does make it seem that the position isn't considered a great stepping stone for upwardly mobile young talent.

I mean if you can't be excited about working with RW, Metcalf and Lockett then that is an internal system issue.

This is starting to look like a major fail on PC's part. I do hope I'm wrong.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
kf3339":3qq8dg60 said:
None of us have any idea why it's taken so long to make a new OC hire. But the fact that we are still waiting does make it seem that the position isn't considered a great stepping stone for upwardly mobile young talent.

I mean if you can't be excited about working with RW, Metcalf and Lockett then that is an internal system issue.

This is starting to look like a major fail on PC's part. I do hope I'm wrong.
Also agree

nwHawk

Reaction score
TreeRon":2o0hac9z said:
"There's a Sports Illustrated article from 9/7/2018 that talks about Pete coddling Russ because players felt "Carroll judged Wilson was too emotionally fragile"."

I can't imagine Pete telling anyone, except maybe Mrs. Carroll, that about RW. If he actually had said that for public consumption, RW should/ould have asked for a trade.

Not sure if you misread the quote or extracted what you wanted, but you missed the “players felt” part. Big difference. Pete would never say anything like that publicly.

James in PA

Reaction score
At this point, I say get the dude from the Rams. Do I know anything about him? No. But he knows our division and has been with McVay for 4 years. Anything to hurt them would be nice. Maybe he’ll share the crabby patty secret formula with our staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The Bills QB coach sounds interesting. He turned Josh Allen into a stud, and helped Cam Newton when he won MVP

jeremiah

Reaction score
stang233":jpowblm4 said:
I can see Pete going with an ex O line coach. But what are some of the hot names out there.

How about Greg Roman HC and OC ? Always compete, tell Pete he can coach up the defense and if they are top 3 for the entire year, he can enter training camp in 2022 with equal status to earn his starting spot back with the team?

Win/Win here, Pete will retire and we can have the guy who has some hand in the Ravens explosive QB play, and very experienced coach also.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jeremiah":2hsjmj9u said:
stang233":2hsjmj9u said:
I can see Pete going with an ex O line coach. But what are some of the hot names out there.

How about Greg Roman HC and OC ? Always compete, tell Pete he can coach up the defense and if they are top 3 for the entire year, he can enter training camp in 2022 with equal status to earn his starting spot back with the team?

Win/Win here, Pete will retire and we can have the guy who has some hand in the Ravens explosive QB play, and very experienced coach also.

I don't think Roman would be a good fit. He hasn't shown much ability at drawing up a prolific passing attack. They run it almost 60% of the time over there in Baltimore.

TreeRon

Reaction score
nwHawk":ylwegscr said:
TreeRon":ylwegscr said:

Not sure if you misread the quote or extracted what you wanted, but you missed the “players felt” part. Big difference. Pete would never say anything like that publicly.

I get it. The players thought, that Pete thought. Okay makes total (non) sense to me.

misfit

Reaction score
TreeRon":gcvanklz said:
nwHawk":gcvanklz said:
TreeRon":gcvanklz said:

I get it. The players thought, that Pete thought. Okay makes total (non) sense to me.

the players assumed thats the reason he got special treatment in their eyes, its really not that hard to understand.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Well we can scratch Joe Lombardi off the candidate list. He'll be the new Chargers OC.

This really is beginning to look like a Pete issue that no creative OC candidate wants any part of.

With all the talent we have on offense, you would think this would be an attractive destination, but I think it's becoming abundantly clear that that's not the case. I can really only think of one reason for that, and that's Pete. Who would want to come here and not have the freedom to build, design, and run their own offense.

If I was trying to build a name for myself as a creative and innovative offensive mind, I think Seattle under Pete Carroll would be the last place I would want to go. That's sad to say, but I'm becoming convinced.

James in PA

Reaction score
I wonder if the Hawks are waiting to see what happens with the Texans’ head coaching job. If Bienemy doesn’t get it, he stays with the Chiefs as their OC. Their current QB coach Mike Kafka can then come here and hopefully work his magic with Russ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Norm Chow.

Probably not, but Pete does like to hire friends, people once part of his circle, or just easily do what they're told.

Latest posts