How long has it been ?

xray

Reaction score
When was the last time ; going into a new season , that you dared entertain the thought of the Hawks making it back to the SB again ? To be honest , it hasn't crossed my mind for a long time .

Hawknight

Reaction score
The thought crossed my mind during the offseason just before training camps, we had another successful draft, Geno kept us afloat fairly well the season before and there seemed to a lost of positive news on both our offense and defense. I thought for sure things were starting to turn around for us, i swear I could feel it. We had given the Niners a valiant fight in the postseason, it felt like we were doing ok..just a few missing key pieces to our puzzle before we could set our sights on the Super Bowl. The first Rams game this season began to erode all those hopes away and then...well, you've all witnessed our season so far. Nothing home to write about. Sure, flashes of hope here and there, but the 2nd Rams game put those hopes to rest for good...that once glimmer in my eye, a ray of hope, a twinkle of something great about to happen..quickly faded to darkness, nothing more than a feeling of being lost, frustrated and empty. I hate to say it because I have some much respect for the coach, but until Pete decides his time is done, this team will be done until new blood can be pumped into this team with new philosophy, new coaching, new life for even a chance of that hope to return. Pete has already written his chapter in our book of Seahawks history, it's time for someone else to take up the pen and write a new chapter. Just my 2 cents on how my hope wasn't that long ago.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
'14 was the last year when I thought we had a chance at the Owl.

RW's goal line interception was a team killer. Killed the LOB. Killed the team. Especially when he said it was his god testing him.

I'm sure god was testing RW again yesterday, with another game ending interception. Man, that god of his, sure does like to test RW.

James in PA

Reaction score
I now hate this line and will never say it or think it again as long as Pete is the coach. I've heard it uttered so many times in recent years from other fans. I hope this year buries this line once and for all.

Coming into the season, I thought this year ..... wait for it ......

.... could be another 2012.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
'14 was the last year when I thought we had a chance at the Owl.

RW's goal line interception was a team killer. Killed the LOB. Killed the team. Especially when he said it was his god testing him.

I'm sure god was testing RW again yesterday, with another game ending interception. Man, that god of his, sure does like to test RW.
Same here. I knew that Pete had lost the team with The Play. I knew the team was going to miss Dan Quinn as much as they would miss any player. I knew that the 'Hawks would never see another SB with Pete at the helm. A couple years later, I could see that they wouldn't even make it to the NFCCG. There will be good wins here and there but there is no consistency. To advance to the SB, a team needs to be consistent.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Every year! Because why not! Some team has to win. Look at all the injuries that KC had last night. You just never know whats going to happen. Thats why its so important to make the playoffs. You have 0% chance of winning it all if you don't make the playoffs. Wild card teams have won it all in the past. Not making the playoffs is not a magic elixer for future success. In fact one might argue the opposite. Winning happens because of more than one thing. Attitude and knowing how to win are often times just as important as coaching, scheming and talent. Have you ever heard the phrase, they need to learn how to win? How many times watching a game have you seen a change in momentum? Momentum is a real thing. Once you get it rolling, its hard to stop.

I hope for a championship every single year because there is no fast and true formula that states team A will win it all this season because of these following things. Go back to the beginning of any season. There are usually at least a handful of teams projected to win it all. Then the season happens and some of those teams completely falter while other completely unexpected teams rise up. How do you think the last place in their division Cincinnati Bengals fans feels right about now? Last year almost every single pundit as well as most Seahawks fans figured they would be one of the bottom dwellars. Here we are a year and a half later and the expectations of our team have flipped and we have fans in all out depressed mode claiming they will never win another game. Ever.

The point is, you never know how its all going to unfold. Thats one of the things that makes football so awesome. We aren't living in the Truman Show where every single shot is always made (basketball reference).

There are 6 games left and absolutely anything can still happen. They can catch lightening in a bottle and win out. The perceived juggernauts of the league in 2023 could be hit with some untimely injuries that would quickly derail their season. We don't know. We can guess. We can prognosticate. We can above all else, sit back, hope for the best and enjoy the remainder of the season no matter how it plays out.

Sorry if my positivity is annoying to some of you but it sure beats the shit out of sulking around like eeyore all the time. Professional football is a game that we as fans have no real bearing on the outcome. Its entertainment just like going to a movie. Would you go to a movie knowing the ending? Probably not. Would you read the ending of a book to see if you wanted to read that book? Probably not.

Sit back and just enjoy the remaining Seahawks football we have for this season no matter what it brings.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
When was the last time ; going into a new season , that you dared entertain the thought of the Hawks making it back to the SB again ? To be honest , it hasn't crossed my mind for a long time .
THIS season. Are you kidding with the draft we had? We have all the pieces. Just can't coach and/or execute.

Which is why it's been a gut punch.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sorry if my positivity is annoying to some of you but it sure beats the shit out of sulking around like eeyore all the time. Professional football is a game that we as fans have no real bearing on the outcome. Its entertainment just like going to a movie. Would you go to a movie knowing the ending? Probably not. Would you read the ending of a book to see if you wanted to read that book? Probably not.

Sit back and just enjoy the remaining Seahawks football we have for this season no matter what it brings.
Speaking for myself, the cheerleader/fanboy stuff doesn't bother me one bit. A little unrealistic and living in a state of denial if you want my opinion. If a person wants to live in a Pollyanna world where life is filled with rainbows and unicorns, then good for them. To each their own.

And it's because I came to the realization that it's only entertainment that my attitude towards our Hawks changed. I used to be so upset when we lost a big game that I sulked for days after a big loss. On multiple occasions, I've called Dave Krieg every name in the book and then some, raising my blood pressure to who knows how high.

Today, I take a slightly pessimistic attitude so if we lose, it's something I expected so I'm not nearly as tore up, and if we win, I'm happier than I would have been had I anticipated a victory.

I'll always enjoy the season. I'm a football fan as much as I am a Seahawk fan.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I had hopes of a deeper playoff run this season for some reason. Until they played the Rams week 1.

It's been honestly 7-8 years like I felt that Seattle had a legitimate chance at winning a Superbowl.

James in PA

Reaction score
One thing about Pete: He is a great speaker. He can reel off good-sounding answers without saying a damn thing of substance. He's a real smooth talker, the ultimate salesman. Unfortunately, there's only one person he needs to convince that he's on the verge of something special. I hope she's not as gullible as I was coming into this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was an optimist after the SB 49 meltdown, and naively thought we could get back on track and continue to be a deep playoff SB contender.

But somewhere around 2015 or 2016 after all the internal locker room friction started bubbling to the surface I knew it was over.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I was an optimist after the SB 49 meltdown, and naively thought we could get back on track and continue to be a deep playoff SB contender.

But somewhere around 2015 or 2016 after all the internal locker room friction started bubbling to the surface I knew it was over.

Same.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
The moment right before the worst play call ever when I was shouting over and over,,,,don't throw the ball, don't throw the ball, don't throw the ball. After that play I knew the locker room was lost and it was over. I knew he would never capture that kind of magic with a roster again. Going on 9 years now.

renofox

Reaction score
The moment right before the worst play call ever when I was shouting over and over,,,,don't throw the ball, don't throw the ball, don't throw the ball. After that play I knew the locker room was lost and it was over. I knew he would never capture that kind of magic with a roster again. Going on 9 years now.
I had my questions about the long-term viability of PC as head coach not when the play happened, but when I saw PC/Bevell's reaction to the aftermath AND the players' reaction to the coaches reaction.

I have extensive education/experience in Organizational Culture and it was obvious PC was going to have to work hard to make the Seahawks a top-tier organization again. I thought he had a good chance of succeeding.

I was wrong. PC is not the organizational and motivational genius many think he is. I finally figured it out ~2018 - many here called it correctly well before I did.

Since then, I have been patiently waiting for a rebuild and a new front office and coaching staff. I'm still waiting, but my patience is wearing thin.