How many years after Wilson leaves is Carroll still coach?

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We should have pushed that LOB+Lynch version for 1-2 years before going all in on Wilson.

That was the error.

The moment we traded Unger, Lynch was gone. He stayed one more year but for the most part peeling off his blocking stripped a lot of his drive. Understandable, actually.

Trading for the TE/WR hybrid then trying to use him as a blocking TE was the start of this.

The 2nd error was pissing off Kam. We eventually paid Kam anyway but him holding out hurt us that year. The moment the LOB realized they had to carry the load but were not going to be the focus - they started chirping. Rightfully so actually.

Both issues would have been non-issues if we had stuck to what we were.

Wilson was worth betting on, maybe with a different coach though. Betting on going all offense with a defensive coach was a strategic error.

That is water under the bridge though.

The issue is that Carroll can win focusing on defense WHEN HE HAS 4-5 HOF players in his defense and a few other top 5-7 at their position players.

But he isn't even good at defense now. So where is the upside?

We have to hope that betting on our rapidly declining in effectiveness HC has one, because we have this one year to make the playoffs in a more difficult division as our only chance to keep Wilson. Even then, not sure that chance is great.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":29sfmqxy said:
SantaClaraHawk":29sfmqxy said:
One for Russ, and 2-3 years for Pete if we get another playoff season.

If we miss playoffs, I think Russ is gone in 2022 and PC/JS will then try bringing in a bridge QB while making a draft offer on one in mid-round.

If Pete is planning to coach in his 80s this might be the plan. What part of franchise QBs don’t grow on trees is so difficult for people to understand? Look at the teams across the league that have been trying to find a franchise QB for years and in some cases decades. In the 23 years since John Elway retired, the Broncos have had one other franchise level QB and that was Peyton Manning on his last legs. It could be a long time before they find another. I’m not ready to step back into that kind of fandom where year in and year out you hope the QB can at least be serviceable. Been there done that. I love the fact that my favorite team doesn’t have to worry about who the QB is and relish that every single game he has the ability to bring them a win if they are behind. I haven’t felt like they were out of maybe a handful of games total since Russell has been the Seahawks QB.

Pete's going down Belichick Avenue on this QB situation. Sad but true, he is. Even if we get a top 5 QB in the draft if Russ leaves early and a Mariota/Carr/Fitzmagic type to be the bridge, that's usually a situation that results in losing more games than you win.

Pete and Russ' interest in present day however remains shared survival though.

What do you think Pete should do? Give Russ more leash, more public say, and let him cook. If it doesn't go well, both are done rather quickly, but that's the same outcome with PeteBall, which we have already tried.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":28qbuvj4 said:
Since Russell Wilson will retire a Seahawk in 10 years, the question is more along the lines of how long will Russ be a Seahawk after PC leaves?
:177692: He's not making it to ten more years cowboy..
He's far from Tom Brady as can be.
I know all his fans don't want to see or hear it but he is
getting old fast.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3eks3vya said:
oldhawkfan":3eks3vya said:
Since Russell Wilson will retire a Seahawk in 10 years, the question is more along the lines of how long will Russ be a Seahawk after PC leaves?
getting old fast.

russell wilson is the better player and never missed a game. why cant he make it 10 years?

Rat

Reaction score
Tinamedina":2yad1bgr said:
IndyHawk":2yad1bgr said:
oldhawkfan":2yad1bgr said:
getting old fast.

russell wilson is the better player and never missed a game. why cant he make it 10 years?

Only two players in recent years have been not complete trash by 40, and they (Brady and Favre) were protected much better in their younger seasons than Russ. And there is no precedent for a QB who's legs are such a big part of their game being an effective player that far into their careers.

Yeah, Russ has made a career of defying the odds, so I won't say never, but I'd be really, really surprised. I think he has like 3-4 elite years left, then a season or two as a league average kind of guy before basically being what Roethlisberger is now.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":20fch35m said:
We should have pushed that LOB+Lynch version for 1-2 years before going all in on Wilson.

That was the error.

The moment we traded Unger, Lynch was gone. He stayed one more year but for the most part peeling off his blocking stripped a lot of his drive. Understandable, actually.

Trading for the TE/WR hybrid then trying to use him as a blocking TE was the start of this.

The 2nd error was pissing off Kam. We eventually paid Kam anyway but him holding out hurt us that year. The moment the LOB realized they had to carry the load but were not going to be the focus - they started chirping. Rightfully so actually.

Both issues would have been non-issues if we had stuck to what we were.

Wilson was worth betting on, maybe with a different coach though. Betting on going all offense with a defensive coach was a strategic error.

That is water under the bridge though.

The issue is that Carroll can win focusing on defense WHEN HE HAS 4-5 HOF players in his defense and a few other top 5-7 at their position players.

But he isn't even good at defense now. So where is the upside?

We have to hope that betting on our rapidly declining in effectiveness HC has one, because we have this one year to make the playoffs in a more difficult division as our only chance to keep Wilson. Even then, not sure that chance is great.
Agreed, 1000%!!!!

toffee

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2j1h51t2 said:
oldhawkfan":2j1h51t2 said:
GaiusMarius":2j1h51t2 said:
I don't think that Wilson wants to be here and that's a problem. So sooner or later he won't be. With a disinterested ownership it would appear that Carroll is safe.

The rest depends on what comes next. Carroll's system can work with a decent, but not great QB. Seeing that play out without a 35M QB would be interesting (no, Jackson wasn't decent) as we have never really seen that. You would think the run game would improve and defense with more resources allocated to it.

The outcome of that would determine how long Carroll stays and that scenario is so murky I'm not sure what it looks like.

Do you have actual proof of his system working with a decent but not great QB? The only success Pete Carroll has had in the NFL, is with Russell Wilson at QB!

Wilson was asked to play a decent but not great role when they won the Super Bowl.

That team was so dominant in other areas, they could have won it all with quite a few guys under center.
Just for fun, what do all you armchair GMs and HCs think if we had Kaepernick instead of Russ in '13 and '14? Could we still go to the Superbowls? Heck replace Kaep with Cam?

I am of the opinion that Russ is a better QB than Kaep, so that's not the debate, but could Kaep ride Marshawn and LOB to Superbowls?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk