I am sick of Luke Willson

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Zack needs to give him some more lessons on body positioning/catching in traffic. Regarding being able to catch only touch passes away from his body, that's all up to him. Hopefully he catches on with more reps/higher comfort level.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Luke needs to work on improving his catch radius and getting his head turned around earlier to pick up the flight of the ball.

That, and his upper body strength.

RCATES

Reaction score
My wife who just started watching football december 2013 had given LW the nickname "butterfingers" early in the season. Yesterday was just another example of why he has more then earned that name from our fanbase regardless of how long they have watched the sport. Quickest way out of this league regardless of your talent is dropped balls. He clearly has an issue catching the football.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Beast Mode":1v2tja6a said:
He had one bad game. Get over it. He's going to be a pretty good key for this offense in the playoffs and beyond.

The guy only catches 50% of the balls thrown his way. If he could learn to catch he would be a great TE.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1rbfq5ot said:
Last week was the peak of his career IMO. About the only good thing I can say about him is that he runs fast for a big guy, in a straight line. Great for utilizing the rare mismatch by getting him in space, pretty much below average at everything else...

I concur. We hear a lot about how Always Compete/Win Forever focuses on what players can do well and not on what they can't do. Perhaps Willson has been misused in this regard. In his two years with us we have seen very little of him blowing by LBs straight up the seam, and for the couple plays we did see that against AZ two weeks ago he looked exceptional, even outrunning much smaller and quicker DB on his 80 yard catch and score.

We have, however, seen a lot of him running those little out routes to the flat in an attempt to catch timing passes. Perhaps route running and timing patterns are not his strength and taking the top off the middle of a defense is. If Willson has the potential to excel at even just this one thing, let's see heaps more of it and much less of him in the flat. Let Moeaki and Helfet do that. It's not like we are really using any other player as deep threat up the middle. Let him do what he does best for now and gradually let him get better at the other stuff, the way Kam eventually got better at coverage while he was allowed to just be a thumper in the middle of the defense to start his career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2qljukm5 said:
Beast Mode":2qljukm5 said:
He had one bad game. Get over it. He's going to be a pretty good key for this offense in the playoffs and beyond.

The guy only catches 50% of the balls thrown his way. If he could learn to catch he would be a great TE.

Willson was suppose to be a 5th round developmental project, dude was suppose to be a change of pace hybrid speed TE to bring in on passing plays. He was never suppose to be a starting full time TE. Right now Willson should be playing behind Miller and McCoy.

So I'll cut him a little slack for the pressure of being the full time TE right now. When you draft a 5th round undeveloped TE with a lot of holes in his game, that's what you get, inconsistency.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Personally, I don't understand the mentality that says -- if you raise a point of contention (something you're not happy about with someone) that you somehow "HATE" a guy. I don't get that at all. That's way too black and white thinking. You think that this week when they put on the game tape that his coaching staff won't be pointing out things Willson needs to be working on? Of course they will.

I absolutely love Luke Willson and a lot of things he brings to the table. The times I've listened to him, I really like him and I love what he could be. He has phenomenal speed and athleticism for a TE ... and we saw against Arizona what he Could Be in this offense if he put everything together.

The problem (of course) is consistency. The facts are that he makes some great catches ... but has also dropped quite a few passes as well (some quite catch-able). And for those who might argue that he's dropped several very tough catches (ones where he's taken quite a shot from the defender) -- I'd say you're right ... BUT the really good TE's in this league find a way to make those catches.

I'm also betting that if you asked Luke Willson himself about those dropped passes, he'd make no excuses for them and would fully admit that he needs to come up with those catches.

The facts are that you can get away with that kind of inconsistent performance on the Oaklands or the Clevelands of the world. Championship caliber teams; however, demand a championship level of performance. I'd surmise that if Willson doesn't eventually improve in that arena (and those drops somehow start proving costly to the Seahawks) ... that he's going to find himself being replaced. That's a harsh truth, but that's the bottom line. For his sake and ours, I hope that the drops are something that he does eventually overcome ... because I believe if he does, we'll have one heck of a Tight End.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":tzlszanf said:
Personally, I don't understand the mentality that says -- if you raise a point of contention (something you're not happy about with someone) that you somehow "HATE" a guy. I don't get that at all. That's way too black and white thinking. You think that this week when they put on the game tape that his coaching staff won't be pointing out things Willson needs to be working on? Of course they will.

I absolutely love Luke Willson and a lot of things he brings to the table. The times I've listened to him, I really like him and I love what he could be. He has phenomenal speed and athleticism for a TE ... and we saw against Arizona what he Could Be in this offense if he put everything together.

The problem (of course) is consistency. The facts are that he makes some great catches ... but has also dropped quite a few passes as well (some quite catch-able). And for those who might argue that he's dropped several very tough catches (ones where he's taken quite a shot from the defender) -- I'd say you're right ... BUT the really good TE's in this league find a way to make those catches.

I'm also betting that if you asked Luke Willson himself about those dropped passes, he'd make no excuses for them and would fully admit that he needs to come up with those catches.

The facts are that you can get away with that kind of inconsistent performance on the Oaklands or the Clevelands of the world. Championship caliber teams; however, demand a championship level of performance. I'd surmise that if Willson doesn't eventually improve in that arena (and those drops somehow start proving costly to the Seahawks) ... that he's going to find himself being replaced. That's a harsh truth, but that's the bottom line. For his sake and ours, I hope that the drops are something that he does eventually overcome ... because I believe if he does, we'll have one heck of a Tight End.

You not only 'hate' him but you're also a fair weather fan.

My apology stands. I like Willson. I think he's got some tools, but the kid has to learn to catch the football. He's not a great blocker. He's fast and needs to catch the ball. The lid would blow off of this place if he dropped a pass that costed us a game. I guess context matters when letting frustration out.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Just in case others didn't get to see the picture of the ball hitting Luke in the facemask. He will learn from it. He knows you gotta try to make every single catch no matter how fast it's coming or how difficult it is. You don't expect him to be Odell Beckham but if it's catchable, catch it.

Willsonfacemask

SDHawk

Reaction score
Try this exercise, how many tough catches can you remember Luke Willson making? Now how many easy drops?

Grit is not something you can coach... you either have it or you don't. My man, Luke, hates contact.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Chawks1":3oqiwdes said:
Here we go again. Cut him! Cut Bruce Irvin too. And Jordan Hill is terrible to. Cut them all and while we're at it Fire Bevell.

:sarcasm_on:

No kidding. Might as well cut Turbin too. Fan over reaction is classic.

Although that 2nd ball hit him square in the face mask. If you can't catch that, you honestly don't need to be in the NFL. Like I said, give him time. He's young and needs to get in a rythm. Notice how when he catches his first ball, he's solid all game, yet when he drops his first one he gets the yips and is worthless ?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Luke just needs more time. Send him to the planet of Degoba to train. He needs to learn the reason for that extra "L" in his surname.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Rob12":3m6lisw2 said:
Hawkscanner":3m6lisw2 said:

My apology stands. I like Willson. I think he's got some tools, but the kid has to learn to catch the football. He's not a great blocker. He's fast and needs to catch the ball. The lid would blow off of this place if he dropped a pass that costed us a game. I guess context matters when letting frustration out.

I'm a fair weather fan? Wow! I'd love for you to run that by my best friends and see what they'd say. They'd get a real kick out of that one. I've been following this team faithfully (the ONLY NFL team I've ever rooted for) since I moved to Washington in 1977 at the age of 6 ... and proudly wore my Seahawks gear and unabashedly proclaimed my love for this team during the Behring years and that miserable 2-14 season. If you call that fair weather, then I guess I fit the definition. :roll:

SDHawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":205i93qd said:
Rob12":205i93qd said:
Hawkscanner":205i93qd said:

I'm a fair weather fan? Wow! I'd love for you to run that by my best friends and see what they'd say. They'd get a real kick out of that one. I've been following this team faithfully (the ONLY NFL team I've ever rooted for) since I moved to Washington in 1977 at the age of 6 ... and proudly wore my Seahawks gear and unabashedly proclaimed my love for this team during the Behring years and that miserable 2-14 season. If you call that fair weather, then I guess I fit the definition. :roll:

I think you missed his *sarc*

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1rrarl5v said:
Rob12":1rrarl5v said:
Hawkscanner":1rrarl5v said:

Um, man. You should read my reply again. That's not what I was saying at all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1nid5zwu said:
Just in case others didn't get to see the picture of the ball hitting Luke in the facemask.

In Luke's defense, he had JUST turned around when Russell rifled the ball, so the timing wasn't perfect.

Still a ball he probably should have caught, but it wasn't as horrible as that picture shows due to how hard Russell threw it and the nano-second he had to catch up after just turning his head.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Luke is like the flu. We can be sick of him, but we still have to deal with him until we are over him. (Tamiflu and Nyquil do not help)

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Willson is an intriguing player. Killer speed and size, but his upper body is so tight that he has a hard time catching balls from pretty much the numbers up. The way his body is shaped and the lack of fluidity in his upper body reminds me of the meatheads that have such large lats that their arms can never really be by down by their sides, they're always bowed out.

He especially seems to have problems when throws are contested or are coming in really hot. He just looks awkward catching with his hands. Compare the way Moeaki catches the ball vs. Willson and it's pretty clear that he's just not much of a natural ball catcher.

With all that said, he has still made some very clutch, tough catches in his first two years here. He has been a pleasant surprise for a 5th round pick that never got starter reps at Rice. But IMO, he still really needs to work on his blocking and pass catching to be a legit #1 or #2 TE in the NFL. I'd say he has been serviceable this season, but our offense would most likely be quite a bit more efficient with Miller (especially considering Miller's blocking ability) or McCoy available.

Our TE corps will be interesting to watch in 2015. Ignoring what we have in Miller and whether he'll still be on the roster next year or not, between Helfet, Willson, Moeaki, and the possible return of McCoy, there will be at least a couple spots up for grabs that could equal having some pretty good depth.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Damn we should just bring back Jerramy Stevens!! His hands were money especially in the super bowl XL!!! I wish we had Zach back but not going to happen. Willlssson is probably the best receiving TE on the roster right now so we are stuck with him, so might as well support him through the playoff run. Next year I could see a change...