DK on penalties: 'Not going to change who I am'

rcaido

Reaction score
DK clearly misses his mentor, he needs to play with Russell Wilson, too bad Broncos has very limited picks in 2024 and 2025. Otherwise, DK + 2024 4th rounder for Jeudy + 2024 1st and 2025 2rd.
I mean he only had 6td last season in 17 game season. He is on pace to have 6 or 7 again.

Wilson at his prime, Metcalf got 1300yards 12td. Also taught him to swim.

toffee

Reaction score
I mean he only had 6td last season in 17 game season. He is on pace to have 6 or 7 again.

Wilson at his prime, Metcalf got 1300yards 12td. Also taught him to swim.
See, Wilson ain't same without DK, Metcalf's development ain't good without Wilson. Come to think of it, we want two 1st round picks from the Broncos for Metcalf.

rcaido

Reaction score
To be fair DK has improved greatly with his hands and routes. Maturity is his biggest concern. I don't think his "big" brother Russ can help him, especially now.

Seahawks have two expensive receiver with a digressing backup QB. One will probably be traded before 2024 season. It will probably be Lockett. Seahawks should have traded Metcalf to the Jets for two 1st rounders when they got rid of everyone. Even Lockett should have been traded and went on full rebuild mode.

Welshers2

Reaction score
I don't think you looked at Metcalf's contract before asserting this.

Trading Metcalf this season would be stupid for the Seahawks, at least in part because of the huge dead-money hit. It would be $11.5M this year, and then another $23M next year, all for an empty space on the roster and an opportunity for Metcalf to play cheap for another team. This is what takes the shrieks of "trade DK" from the Chicken Littles from a mere overreaction to a complete absurdity.

Anyway, getting back to Metcalf and his contract, for an acquiring team, getting Metcalf on his current contract would be a spectacularly great deal, one at which any GM would jump. Metcalf's salary is $2.2M for this season, and he's already been paid for six of 18 weeks, so a team would owe him at most $1.46M for the rest of this season ($122K per game). Since he hasn't been traded and we're already in the weekend, I think we can count this week's game as being with the Seahawks too, so it'd really be at most $1.34M for an acquiring team for the rest of this season.

As of right now, Metcalf has zero guaranteed salary for 2024 and 2025. If he's on a team's roster as of the fifth day after the start of the 2024 waiver period, his 2024 salary of $13M becomes fully guaranteed. That's not as absurdly cheap as what Metcalf would cost a team in 2023, but it's pretty damn cheap for a receiver as good as he is.
Metcalf's $18,000,471 (kept all the digits 'cause it's a funny number) 2025 salary only becomes fully guaranteed when the 2025 season starts, and that's only because all vested veterans' contracts become fully guaranteed for the whole season when the season starts.

Summarizing, Metcalf's contract does make a deal unlikely, but it makes it unlikely because dealing Metcalf now would be a disaster for the Seahawks, not because it would be costly or risky for the acquiring team. On the contrary, the total risk would be $122K times the number of weeks remaining in the 2023 regular season at the time of the trade, and that would also be the total guaranteed cost for the acquiring team.
Ok nice breakdown thank you I appreciate you getting into the deep weeds. But my point still stands, is there any team who would give two firsts to a player with his production and also issues?

had2bhawk

Reaction score
To be fair DK has improved greatly with his hands and routes. Maturity is his biggest concern. I don't think his "big" brother Russ can help him, especially now.

Seahawks have two expensive receiver with a digressing backup QB. One will probably be traded before 2024 season. It will probably be Lockett. Seahawks should have traded Metcalf to the Jets for two 1st rounders when they got rid of everyone. Even Lockett should have been traded and went on full rebuild mode.
Family Guy Want GIF

balakoth

Reaction score
FYI its "I'm not going to change the way I PLAY," Metcalf said

But ya know.....

scutterhawk

Reaction score

FACT: "Bib Brother (Digressing)Russ" can't even help HIMSELF let alone all the Targets he's missing in Denver, eh?
And even FOOLS KNOW that DK ain't goin' anywhere.

Last edited:

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Summarizing, Metcalf's contract does make a deal unlikely, but it makes it unlikely because dealing Metcalf now would be a disaster for the Seahawks, not because it would be costly or risky for the acquiring team. On the contrary, the total risk would be $122K times the number of weeks remaining in the 2023 regular season at the time of the trade, and that would also be the total guaranteed cost for the acquiring team.
With all that being said, wouldn't that mean more incentive for a team to trade a good chunk of draft capital since they won't have to pay him much for this year? Sounds like a Superbowl ready team that offers a lot for that missing piece of the puzzle to enhance their offense. Chiefs come to mind, they could really use DK on that offense...maybe Bills