If Percy is out

Silverhawk5

Reaction score
If Percy is ruled out for this game I would argue that it could be an advantage to the Seahawks. Along with a "healthy" Percy comes an obligation to get him heavily involved in the game plan. I can tell you without a doubt that while Percy may be "healthy" he is absolutely NOT in game shape. There is a timing/rhythm associated with optimal performance that one can only get through weekly preparation/participation at game speed in the game. Rehab and/or practice just doesnt cut it. I don't care if he is a world class athlete, if/when he plays he will likely only be 80-90% of his potential due to the layoff.

Second, Percy commanding a significant number of touches takes the ball out of the hands of our other playmakers. Who you ask? Doug Baldwin specifically. DB has proven himself a 9er killer over the last couple of years and has performed at his very best when up against his former Stanford head coach.

Last, offensive football is very much about chemistry. The game plans, concepts and approaches build on one another from one week to the next. Percy is a disruption to that chemistry and I would argue that his playing this week could be as big of a risk as it is potential reward to our offensive output.

Would I like to see Percy play? Of course. Does it bother me if he doesn't? Not at all. I think Doug Baldwin brings a lot of the same traits and tools to the table and he's proven time and time again that when he's given the touches he delivers.

Ultimately, I'd like to Percy recover for the Super Bowl, get two weeks to game plan, implement and practice. I think if he's cleared to play between now and Sunday and plays (without any practice reps) it could hurt us.

I'll be rooting for DB in his absence (if that's the case) and I have full faith and confidence that he can and will be a difference maker if given the opportunity.

Polaris

Reaction score
I think Seattle is better with Percy than without him. That said, I don't think we need him to win.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
M-Rob missed how many games due to illness, and when we resigned him he was full tilt the first game back. These guys are professionals who have been doing this a minute or two so I think Percy is still in game shape and has great conditioning. Also, while I'm in the camp that we don't need him to win, having him play is still a good thing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Considering how the offense looked when he was in there, and that Harvin was a factor that had the Saints on their heels, I say the OP is wrong.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I don't understand how people say he's not in game shape. Pete has often said his reason for not getting guys into the game right away is that they aren't in game shape. Percy has had enough rehab time to get back into game shape. Shape is not an issue.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
OP is totally wrong about Percy. He was a huge factor until he went out vs. NO. If OP took the same hits he did, OP would still be in the hospital.

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
Silverhawk5 said:
Second, Percy commanding a significant number of touches takes the ball out of the hands of our other playmakers. Who you ask? Doug Baldwin specifically. DB has proven himself a 9er killer over the last couple of years and has performed at his very best when up against his former Stanford head coach.
/quote]

Having Percy in the game gives MORE opportunities to guys like Doug.

Mick063

Reaction score
Just for kickoff returns alone he adds fear factor.

SF did a decent job covering Ted Ginn jr. returns last week though.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I just listened to Pete's radio call in from earlier today. Based on what he said, I'd bet Harvin plays. I could be wrong and I don't mean to imply in any way that Harvin has been cleared yet. I just think he'll be set by gametime.

There. I said it. Now when the final decision is made I can either be on the side saying I told you so or on the side eating crow.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3gpkbkes said:
Considering how the offense looked when he was in there, and that Harvin was a factor that had the Saints on their heels, I say the OP is wrong.

X2...its not like Harvin forgot how to play. He is a difference maker if he is out there and will take pressure off the other WR's..we are not better off without him.

OP
OP
S

Silverhawk5

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong. Would love nothing more than to see Percy play and play well.

That said, the same applies for KJ. Our D is playing well and cohesive as a unit. If he doesn't play, no worries. Better to have him healthy and ready to go.

Personally, I don't think either will play much if at all. I'm not very concerned about it either.

For those of you clinging to the shred of hope that Percy will play, don't sweat it. If he's ready and can help us he will. If not, it may not be the worst thing in the world given the curcumstances.

"Dance with the one that brung ya"

Glass half full here. Go Hawks!