Is it time to start talking about Darryl Taylor

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":11rkcx56 said:
Absolute and total bollocks.

Let's start with how you seem to assume first rounders are all the same. They're not. Picking late in the first, you have about a coin flip chance of landing an average starter. To expect anything more than an average starter from the late first round is a recipe to be perpetually disappointed. That's just not how it works.

It is 5 GAMES into Brooks and Taylors rookie seasons. Both are currently injured. INJURIES HAPPEN. THEY ARE PART OF THE GAME OF FOOTBALL. Taylor's injury was known about, sure, but ya know what? Setbacks happen sometimes, too. You have not even seen the guy play yet - and if he's a solid rusher from that draft slot, guess what? Worth it.

Now, moving on to your Collier jab, that right there is really the tell-tale sign that you're not thinking about this very logically. LJ Collier was injured, and is now healthy and playing... yep, like an average starter. In his first real action. I don't know how you could possibly look at LJ Collier's play right now and say it isn't befitting of a late first round pick's first real action in the league. Him blowing up the Cam Newton draw with Lano was big enough.

-snip of Patrick Queen stuff-

Just all-around nonsense.

Would you please stop making sense? All these accurate facts and cold logic are hurting my feelings. I really want all of our first rounders to be all-pros right away. Second rounders too. And it shouldn't matter if he's pick #2 or pick #32. A first rounder is a first rounder! After all, Pete and John pick them because they know they will be sure all-pros! Just because a first rounder isn't the first or second pick doesn't mean he's any less talented..
:sarcasm_off:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bpddlz2 said:
chris98251":3bpddlz2 said:
Collier is starting to show signs of getting it and Robinson is also getting flashes..

Yes Collier is playing better this year than last, but that's not saying much considering he spent the last half of the season on the inactive list as a healthy scratch.

He's still nowhere near the every down effective player we need him to be, especially as a 1st round pick. All he's doing now is proving he indeed was the reach most draft experts said he was.

He's the starting 5 tech in his first real action, and he's playing about as well as I'd ever expect a late first round 5 tech to play in his first real action.

He had a rough break in his first year, dealt with a crappy advanced sprain that shot his whole preseason and had him likely at less than 100% throughout the year. Now he's 100% and playing pretty friggin' well. Certainly as well as anyone else on the line right now, and finally with an opportunity to continue to grow.

I really don't get how people are so down on this guy.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We did get Frank Clark in the 2nd round, so there is that "Hit" on a draft pick. Of course, Clark didn't have college injury issues coming into camp. He only had PR injuries.

If Darryl Taylor can be as big of a hit as Frank Clark was, it will be worth the wait.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3e778ir5 said:
It's bye week. We must be saving the bright side outlook for when we're back to trying to win a game.

Not sure about that with some posters. They cannot ever give positive props, just negative, even when we're winning.

But I guess it's diversity that makes the world an interesting place.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pete mentioned that he thought COVID really set Taylor's recovery back, because the team couldn't get him into the facilities to see their medical staff to guide his recovery.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":q3739uts said:
His mother calls him Darrell.
Thanks, I was wondering about the spelling but didn't actually look it up, like I presume you did.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
olyfan63":2odeeoky said:
We did get Frank Clark in the 2nd round, so there is that "Hit" on a draft pick. Of course, Clark didn't have college injury issues coming into camp. He only had PR injuries.

If Darryl Taylor can be as big of a hit as Frank Clark was, it will be worth the wait.

Great player. Good pick. SIX drafts ago. Nobody is complaining about that draft or the ones before. Just every draft since then. Except for DK, who was a good choice, who do you have in the last five drafts?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":ku7b05r4 said:
olyfan63":ku7b05r4 said:

Great player. Good pick. SIX drafts ago. Nobody is complaining about that draft or the ones before. Just every draft since then. Except for DK, who was a good choice, who do you have in the last five drafts?

Judging the 2020 draft based on 5 games is highly stupid, so I won't do that.

2019, though, I'll post a quote from another thread.

Maelstrom787":ku7b05r4 said:
While I agree that the draft didn't immediately fill some pretty large roster holes, I'm not sure I can call it call it crappy.

Collier is coming along in his first healthy action, Blair was really blossoming in his nickel role before his unfortunate injury, and DK Metcalf is going to be a star for years to come. Ugo Amadi is also playing very well. Homer is a decent third down back in our new look pass-centric offense, and BBK has been a decent special teamer. Cody Barton is a role player who has been improving, but his play has been ridiculously polarizing. Some are raving, some are very down. Personally, I think he's showing a lot of promise in coverage.

To me, this draft is actually looking a lot better this year than it was last year.

Do you honestly consider 2019 a failed draft? 1 year in, it's certainly trending up.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I really like what I've seen of Dallas. Swain is contributing very well. And what about Neal? I don't remember how we acquired him but he is looking like Adams2. I have to admit our draft this year seems to have turned out very well, even without our first 2 picks.
Never thought I would/could say that.

LTH

Reaction score
The one thing I noticed about Carroll in his PC was that he was more vague than usual about the injuries and who is coming back when... usually he is vague but he was illusive.. Im not sure what that means if thats a positive thing or a negative thing...the one thing for sure is he is not saying, which could be an indication that more are coming back than we expect...

LTH

OP
OP
godawg

godawg

Reaction score
Pete said Taylor was running hard and looking strong, but not doing change of direction yet. I would guess 4-6 weeks away, but it’s a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iigakusei

Reaction score
Taylor won't be playing this year unfortunately. Might as well just accept it and move on.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
iigakusei":y4a0ae7r said:
Taylor won't be playing this year unfortunately. Might as well just accept it and move on.

I'm honestly hoping that he doesn't. Take the redshirt, follow the Collier path. If he's able, perhaps a small amount of snaps to give him a taste of NFL game speed to reflect on. We'll see what he's got when he's 100% with a full offseason under his belt.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1w22pum9 said:
iigakusei":1w22pum9 said:

I'm honestly hoping that he doesn't. Take the redshirt, follow the Collier path. If he's able, perhaps a small amount of snaps to give him a taste of NFL game speed to reflect on. We'll see what he's got when he's 100% with a full offseason under his belt.

NFL redshirt just means getting on the field no earlier than the 11th game. Need 6 games to accrue a season. Which would mean that he'd be a restricted free agent after his 4 year rookie contract expires. The 6 week timeframe is about right in that case.

Would like to see him in action. Wasn't a huge fan of his during the draft process. So would like to see something more than what he put on college tape. Not really expecting that though since he's not had any benefit of this offseason activity.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":n4mrer9v said:
Maelstrom787":n4mrer9v said:
iigakusei":n4mrer9v said:

NFL redshirt just means getting on the field no earlier than the 11th game. Need 6 games to accrue a season. Which would mean that he'd be a restricted free agent after his 4 year rookie contract expires. The 6 week timeframe is about right in that case.

Would like to see him in action. Wasn't a huge fan of his during the draft process. So would like to see something more than what he put on college tape. Not really expecting that though since he's not had any benefit of this offseason activity.

I'll be honest, I was unaware of the RFA implications and was speaking more as a figurative redshirt in that he's treated with an abundance of caution. Good to know.

RCATES

Reaction score
What's there to talk about? Just another dud 1st/2nd round pick by this FO.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RCATES":37c8nmjp said:
What's there to talk about? Just another dud 1st/2nd round pick by this FO.

Okung, Thomas, Tate, Irvin, Wagner, Britt, Clark, Reed, Pocic, Metcalf?

The draft is a crapshoot and unrealistic to expect immediate results. Some players shine early like Metcalf and Wagner, some take time to develop like Tate an Pocic.