Is Russ hurt or sick?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
PS, thank you ludakrishna for giving me a sweet new signature to replace Spin Doctor's quote. :2thumbs:

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Aros":1qsy6wxq said:
ludakrishna":1qsy6wxq said:
Aros":1qsy6wxq said:
ludakrishna":1qsy6wxq said:
The plain truth is this, he has sucked. He has and always will be, a glorified Alex Smith. Aka, an Elite Game Manager. He will never be a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Brees or a Brady. He has shown that he cannot sustain a high level of QB play for the entire duration of a season.

Worst opinion I have read in years.

Please prove me incorrect. Name a season where he was lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17.

Let's start with you showing me ONE single quarterback in this league where they were "lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17." You can't because it doesn't exist. Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, ALL have games where they slip up and don't look like themselves. It happens because they are human beings. I get that some of us get all get butt hurt after a surprising and embarrassing loss but a modicum of perspective, not overreacting and throwing out hyperbole like candy after a loss would sure be a welcomed change in this community.

Off the top of my head, Patrick Mahomes 2018, 2020

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
rcaido":obynaknw said:
If anything Wilson is asked to do more than any player in the league.

Why?

Dude has two all pro receivers, a good pass pro O-line and a top 5 RB.

I thought we wanted Russ to cook, guess now we don't want Russ to cook and too much is being asked of him. Maybe he needs to stop being so stubborn and always looking for the deep ball and tell his coordinator and coach to help him out with that.

People need to stop making excuses for Russell and the coaches after bad games. He's making 35M a year now, he HAS to play well 90% of the time.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ludakrishna":1ahhm7mr said:
Off the top of my head, Patrick Mahomes 2018, 2020

Ah, so he looked perfect in that loss against the Raiders this year? Come on man, let's not let facts get in the way of your argument.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":u4v4sio6 said:
rcaido":u4v4sio6 said:

Why?

I thought we wanted Russ to cook, guess now we don't want Russ to cook and too much is being asked of him. Maybe he needs to stop being so stubborn and always looking for the deep ball and tell his coordinator and coach to help him out with that.

People need to stop making excuses for Russell and the coaches after bad games. He's making 35M a year now, he HAS to play well 90% of the time.

The focus on the deep ball comes from Pete, not the other way around. That's why Pete focuses on it in his pressers every time we lose. Pete is the leader in the locker room, not Russ. This has always been the case, and it's the fault of both Pete and Russ. No other team with a halfway decent QB has this dynamic in their locker room.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
He does seem to have lost his wheels this year, for whatever reason. Mental, physical, the fact that 2020 is a huge pile of burning garbage overall. All of the above?

I don't think it's a Felix Hernandez situation.

Plus it's only natural after so many years that Russ might want to have more control, but you have to do what the coach tells you. Why? "Because I said so."

If Brady can leave NE, anything can happen. There's a lot of pressure on that relationship, esp when huge amounts of money are concerned.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xvrlpbz1 said:
rcaido":xvrlpbz1 said:

Why?

The whole right side of the O line is hurt they were down to the third string right tackle... Russ was running for his life most of the game... Carson and Hyde were on snap counts because they are playing hurt... It's amazing to me with the Punishment Russ takes that he is as good as he is...

LTH

ludakrishna

Reaction score
LTH":3lzke8nl said:
Sgt. Largent":3lzke8nl said:
rcaido":3lzke8nl said:

Why?

The whole right side of the O line is hurt they were down to the third string right tackle... Russ was running for his life most of the game... Carson and Hyde were on snap counts because they are playing hurt... It's amazing to me with the Punishment Russ takes that he is as good as he is...

LTH

The opposing team lost their All Pro RB and was playing a backup. They have no real Number 1 WR. Started a QB that hadn’t won a game since 2014, lost one of their best Defensive player in Fackerill and was depleted of talent more so than us and still kicked our ass. No more excuses.

rcaido

Reaction score
LTH":3tkrf7lu said:
Sgt. Largent":3tkrf7lu said:
rcaido":3tkrf7lu said:

Why?

LTH

So what! If he is getting $35million a year & the RT got beat pretty much every play. If he is making 35million he better throw the ball & catch them too. I mean he should also play defense cuz you know he is making 35million. Also, what is up with Wilson trying to have a life outside football. We pay you & you better only have football on your mind every single day, hour, & minute. I dont care if you're the best player this decade, we want more!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":7x3fqgr3 said:
Sgt. Largent":7x3fqgr3 said:
rcaido":7x3fqgr3 said:

Why?

LTH

Yep, so run the ball right down their throat and call more sweeps, screens and quick short and intermediate routes.

That's how you combat what's happening. You don't stubbornly stick to sprinkling in the run game and taking deep shots.

My point is stop making excused for Russell, he has just as much say in how the offense is run as Pete and Schotty. He's got to own schemes, playcalling, line and protection changes and play changes.........of which he does A LOT.

Which is why he's always running the playclock down, he takes too long to survey the defense, move guys around and change the play, and yesterday was one of his WORST games I've ever seen out of Russell doing all this.

He was running plays right into coverage and blitzes, messing up protections and took how many terrible sacks? I lost count after 4 or 5.

RCATES

Reaction score
rcaido":2n2e028j said:
Cant wait till we win next Sunday. These post are getting ridiculous.

Wilson is on pace to have career years

70% completion
32 tds
3,479yrds
107.6 Rate

He also has 424yrds in rushing which is the most he has had in a couple years. Carson has 429yrds & Hyde 227yrds.
Wilson still has 4 more games. If anything Wilson is asked to do more than any player in the league.

Sorry no "win" is going to change the fact that this team was dominated up front for 4 quarters against a bad Giants team. Nothing. This team is so obviously washed its ridiculous to continue to make excuses for them.

RCATES

Reaction score
Aros":hqbb1th2 said:
ludakrishna":hqbb1th2 said:
Aros":hqbb1th2 said:
ludakrishna":hqbb1th2 said:
The plain truth is this, he has sucked. He has and always will be, a glorified Alex Smith. Aka, an Elite Game Manager. He will never be a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Brees or a Brady. He has shown that he cannot sustain a high level of QB play for the entire duration of a season.

Please prove me incorrect. Name a season where he was lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17.

Let's start with you showing me ONE single quarterback in this league where they were "lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17." You can't because it doesn't exist. Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, ALL have games where they slip up and don't look like themselves. It happens because they are human beings. I get that some of us get all get butt hurt after a surprising and embarrassing loss but a modicum of perspective, not overreacting and throwing out hyperbole like candy after a loss would sure be a welcomed change in this community.

Problem for Russ is its always like 6 games a year not just one. Including the second round in the playoffs every year. He's going to shit the bed.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rtox1tq8 said:
LTH":rtox1tq8 said:
Sgt. Largent":rtox1tq8 said:
rcaido":rtox1tq8 said:

Why?

LTH

Yep, so run the ball right down their throat and call more sweeps, screens and quick short and intermediate routes.

That's how you combat what's happening. You don't stubbornly stick to sprinkling in the run game and taking deep shots.

My point is stop making excused for Russell, he has just as much say in how the offense is run as Pete and Schotty. He's got to own schemes, playcalling, line and protection changes and play changes.........of which he does A LOT.

Which is why he's always running the playclock down, he takes too long to survey the defense, move guys around and change the play, and yesterday was one of his WORST games I've ever seen out of Russell doing all this.

He was running plays right into coverage and blitzes, messing up protections and took how many terrible sacks? I lost count after 4 or 5.

I don't see the fact that the O line is beat to crap and the running backs are hurt as an excuse... Carson and Hyde are both playing hurt and they are on snap counts that's a reality that kept the hawks from executing... Its not a good thing to make those guys do more and risk losing them to injury... Hopefully Penny is coming back that would be huge but I suspect it might be a while before he can be totally healthy...

That being said you are right about Russ holding the ball to long looking for the big play... some of those sacks were on him... but truthfully Metcalf has been dropping a lot of balls that should be catches as well... I also agree with you about Russ throwing the short intermediate passes... after watching the game again I do believe Carroll should have adjusted the game plan...

Lets see if they make those adjustments in the future because I think the NFL has figured out how to get to Russ and if they don't make some adjustments whether it be running the ball more and or short passing game we are going to see more of the same...

Russ can not keep taking the abuse he is taking no matter who is at fault... he keeps taking those hits and they are going to lose him and that would be devastating...

LTH

chet380

Reaction score
For whatever reason, he seems heavy-legged -- while he still has the ability to evade pass rushers, we don't see all the quick moves that miraculously got him out of the trouble in the past ... as well, when he 'takes off', those old 30-40 yd. runs now all seem to be 10-15 yds. ... this aspect I'm not sure of, but has he stopped running RPO plays?

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":2r0l1jp6 said:
ludakrishna":2r0l1jp6 said:
Aros":2r0l1jp6 said:
ludakrishna":2r0l1jp6 said:

Game over and this wins.^^^^^^

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chet380":1qb5bb7y said:
For whatever reason, he seems heavy-legged -- while he still has the ability to evade pass rushers, we don't see all the quick moves that miraculously got him out of the trouble in the past ... as well, when he 'takes off', those old 30-40 yd. runs now all seem to be 10-15 yds. ... this aspect I'm not sure of, but has he stopped running RPO plays?

It's called age.

Russ still has some escapability, but in general he's lost at least a couple steps and can no longer spin out of most sacks. Also why he can't make anyone miss anymore in the open field like he used to.

Remember the stiff arms for an extra 10 or 20 yards? Not happening, so he's going to have to come to terms with age preventing him from extending those types of pocket collapse plays. Can't just keep aging and taking 4-5 terrible sacks or intentional grounding plays a game.

ABSOLUTE drive and momentum killers.

hangumhi

Reaction score
I actually think Russ is ok physically. I also think Russ is AMAZING!! I ALSO think that Russ suffers from self doubt and it impacts him sometimes. He hides it with all the over the top optimism he displays....it's a classic example of overcompensating. Usually he's very good about getting in his own mind and turning his mind positive but yesterday he was in his head and couldn't get out. I really blame pete Carroll all the way around. Pete is terrible at putting the right people in the right position at the right time. Pete is terrible at coaching people out of a funk. Pete is terrible at managing his coaches. Pete is so terrible at adjusting real time. I bet a million dollars I could have won that game as head coach yesterday. And that's not saying much but it's also saying a lot. I love Pete but he is not a good football mind and an even worse manager.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
I believe that Russ is besieged with doubts.......doubt about the coaching decisions as well as his self doubts creeping in.
This is typified by his response of dropping his eyes much sooner....further doubts about his Offensive Line protecting him. Until these problems are fixed......yes, we can lose to even the Jets!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3uwb1ghd said:
LTH":3uwb1ghd said:
Sgt. Largent":3uwb1ghd said:
rcaido":3uwb1ghd said:

Why?

LTH

Wow Sarge..I'm impressed with your take and I believe it to be one that is close to the truth.
While we all wish it was something else,it has been staring at our faces for awhile.
He has trouble reading defenses zone more so than others and adjusting.

Latest posts