Is this Pete's Best Coaching Performance?

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is positively his best year. People comparing 2013, 2014, or 2015 need to look at the roster. Those teams had the #1 Scoring defense 4 years in a row because of John Schneider and Pete Carroll's talent evaluation and promotion skills.

But, you can't keep those teams together forever, and once Russell got paid, we had to let a lot of those players go, not to mention a plethora of injuries.

Lately he's been at a disadvantage with all of the injuries we got hit with (Kam, Sherman, ET, Avril, ADB, etc, etc,) and the fact that there were some players who were agitating within for their own personal reasons. We have a HUGE turnover and yet Pete still produces 1000 yard rushers, and a decent defense with who in the secondary? Who on the DLine?

Yet people are laser focused on a few time management glitches, and timeout issues that have always been Pete's weaknesses. If he's not perfect, they're not happy and will "pooh pooh" any success he has.

This has been a PHENOMENAL year by Pete, and John. We should feel very fortunate to be on this decade long ride. But just like Patriot fans, some are ready to bail as soon as there's the first sign of trouble. How many times over the past 10 - 15 years have we seen headlines in Boston when NE struggles to start "Is the Dynasty Dead?" :thcoffee:

So keep picking at those tiny little scabs, while this team continues to win 1 score games on the road, with the toughest Strength of Schedule, in the East Coast Time Zone.

Me, I'll be basking in the glow of having Pete Carroll as my Head Coach, and John Schneider as my General Manager.

Oh, and Russell always turns up the running in the playoffs. If you haven't noticed this, you haven't been paying attention. Pete has not been telling Russell "don't run!" "Okay, now you can run!" Wilson is smart enough to figure the risk equation out on his own.

Carson Wentz is not. That's why he keeps getting injured.

Cam Newton was not, that's why he has an injury shortened career.

Aaron Rodgers has made some poor decisions, and now he can't complete a pass beyond 10 yards.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point Seymour, I love how we get to finish the weekend. Plus we will already know who and where we play if we win this game.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":739ougxe said:
I mean .... the delay of game still ticks me off --- but overall he's done a remarkable job.

Which one? ;)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
12-5, yet another season with a playoff win, 2 wins from the Super Bowl...…...again.
Do you Pete, you might drive us nuts, but you're still one hell of a coach.

pmedic920

Reaction score
How many times have we heard it?

Pete has to go

Pete is too old

The game has past Pete up.

Etc etc etc.

It’s a great time to be a Seahawk fan.

# neverforget The lean years.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1q5rdk9f said:
Lately, or this year?

You know we lost to the Cardinals at home in a must win game, right?

In the words of Inigo Montoya, I do not think this word means what you think it means. A "must win" game means just that, if you don't win you're out of the playoffs.........and we still lost the Niners, so even if we beat the Cardinals all it would have meant is we had a better chance of getting the #1 seed IF we beat the Niners, which we didn't.

Of course this is not his best year. And in hindsight, no way our schedule was actually nearly as tough as ranked. We played 5 backup QBs.".

The strength of schedule metrics take into account all of this, so yes we still played the toughest schedule.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/rankin ... h-by-other

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Pete gets credit for building and developing those great defenses.

There were a # of 2nd day picks or FAs that became studs under him.

I don't think you can say he has done a better job since his SB years. Because that dominance was the product of Pete's vision and work then. THOSE were examples of his best coaching performances.

An 11 win season, with an easy path paved by the injuries to opposing key players is not comparable. However, any additional win in the playoffs this year automatically vaults him forward because since the SB loss he could never overcome that hurdle.

Doing that would make this year one of his greatest accomplishments as a Seahawk coach.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
12 WIN SEASON, they have 12 wins right now. MANY of these teams with good records had an "easy path" with their schedule. Why are you not downplaying their records?

Did Pete pee in your cereal or something? :lol:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Some of us count regular season wins and post season wins separately.

That said, in terms of most enjoyable, greatest Seahawk seasons? This one is up there.

Some of the most amazing games I have seen watching as a Seahawk fan ever. This was a great season to watch as a fan.

But that doesn't make it the equal of some of Pete's other great seasons. Pete has done a far better job coaching before, he got us to 2 SBs. And that was before Wilson really spread his wings.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's cool, all in how you look at it. But the talent on the Super Bowl teams vs. now? It's not even close.

pmedic920

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2hbra5v8 said:
That's cool, all in how you look at it. But the talent on the Super Bowl teams vs. now? It's not even close.

And that’s a fair statement.

What about a coach that wins with less talent?

I get frustrated too but I can’t really complain about Pete, even when I want to.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm grateful for Pete and John TOGETHER. Without one or the other this wouldn't be what it is.

My biggest problem with him is his game time MGT. He has sucked at it for years and there is no improvement.

I Knew we would win last Sunday when he actually won a challenge but his management of timeouts leaves a lot on the table.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":1dbtqont said:
What about a coach that wins with less talent?.

This is my point. Along with the difficult schedule and #1 in injuries, hard to argue this wasn't Pete's best coaching year.

And we haven't even scratched the surface of what he did to re-energize the culture of the locker room and roster. KJ just talked about it today, how this is the most positive and enjoyable locker room and season he's had since he's been here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Before the season, I think many of would have gladly signed up for an 11-5 team that wins a road playoff game (only for 4th in team history) and is playing GB for a chance at the NFC Championship.
Win or lose this weekend, this has been a really fun season. I won't be surprised with a loss, but I certainly think we have a real shot in this game. Win or lose, I'm pretty happy with this season.
That being said, the Super Bowl is the goal always, but I certainly am not gonna' consider this a crap season if they don't make it all the way. And NO, that doesn't make me less of a fan and/or "satisfied with losing"

Sad that has to actually be stated before the bashing begins :lol:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Clock management is on the players as much as it is on the coaching staff. People get on Pete about delay of game penalties, but those fall squarely on Russ and the rest of the offense. It’s his job to watch the play clock as QB.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Barry Switzer could have won the Super Bowl with the 2013 team. That was probably Pete's worst coachign job since that team should have gone undefeated.

Coaching the 2010 team to a division championship and playoff win was probably his best coaching performance. Next best was getting a Super Bowl loser back to the playoffs in 2015. Look at how the Panthers, Falcons and Rams crashed and burned after losing the SB.

This season is probably his 3rd best given how tough the schedule was and how injured we were at the end.
We are down a LT1, LG1, C1, C2, TE1, TE2, RB1, RB2, RB3, WR3 on offense. We are down DT2, DE2, SAM1 on defense. And we never had a legitimate CB3 all year. We just got back injured FS1 and DE1. It's absurd the number of crucial injuries.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sc85sis":1n1gbpik said:
Clock management is on the players as much as it is on the coaching staff. People get on Pete about delay of game penalties, but those fall squarely on Russ and the rest of the offense. It’s his job to watch the play clock as QB.
John63 incoming in 5-4-3...........

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
I think he is doing a real good job. But he always does a good job. He is an excellent coach. Carroll is somewhat under appreciated on here I have seen. Like the fire Pete Carroll threads and such. LOL. Some of your fans don't know what you have. You have a really excellent coach. He has done well with your injuries and still pulled together a pretty good season so far. There is nothing wrong with what you achieved. Lots of teams would love to be 11 - 5, in the playoffs, with 1 playoff win so far and still alive. There are more teams sitting at home watching than teams in that situation.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":vrzknit7 said:
Sgt. Largent":vrzknit7 said:
Seymour":vrzknit7 said:
Is clock management, decision making, and getting the team prepared for HOME games a function of coaching?

No, this is not Pete's best, but possibly Wilson's best considering what he has to work with in pass protection and now running backs. Wilson doesn't care, he just becomes the lead RB if needed.

Pete's never been good at all the criticisms you mention here, so what year would you say he coached and managed the roster better?

What year is better? 2015 when he finally turned Russ lose and went 10-6 after what would have crippled most teams with the SB 49 ending. He also trashed Harvin which took balls but needed to happen.

Also, the last 2 years ONLY have we started to lose more home games and that is a team preparation issue.

Yes Pete has always had clock management issues....BUT they are getting worse!!
2015 was a disaster from a coaching standpoint for Carroll. Seattle only had 10 wins yet they had a top 10 offense in yards (8), even higher in scoring as well as the number one defense in DVOA, number one defense in scoring, number 2 in total yardage. In the playoffs our good old friend, Blair Walsh gifted the Seahawks a win in a game they were about to lose. We under achieved quite a bit that year, and while we released Wilson at times we reverted to our old style of play. On top of that we had one of the best rushing offenses to pair with that defense and one of the most efficient passing games. 2015 was not a coaching success, we under achieved by a large margin that year.

This year I don't think it was any magical feat that Carroll pulled. Our record is a function of Wilson playing out of his mind. Russell Wilson is also tied for the most 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives at five. Our Quarterback is carrying this years squad. When we started losing we went back to our old fuddy duddy 70s style offense with long developing deep routes which plays right into where our offense is weak -- the offensive line. We're not doing Wilson any favors here.