It's Geno's Fault Too (Indirectly)

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
This team is going to hover near .500 as long as Carroll is here. His entire approach is focused on probabilities, and it works for what it is designed to do (be at or above .500 is CLEARLY the goal....not playoffs, division lead, etc.)

The roster ain't great though. Probably a bare cupboard when Carroll is done. But we likely need to be terrible before we end up being good again.
And we haven't been terrible in a long, long, long time. Not sure if our fan base can even handle it. We'll see.

I think the roster is pretty good actually.

They have 2 of the best man corners in the sport. (Not their fault they hardly play man.)
They have 2 quality edge guys (Corners and Pass Rushers is what is valued in the league.)

Definitely needs some re-tooling up the middle, but should have Leo Williams.

Offensively, they are quite loaded. Needs some upgrading on the interior O-Line, and a QBotF.

In comparison to the Ruskell/Mora era, that is what a bad roster looks like.

------

Side note: Penix, might have played himself out of the top 10 with that abysmal performance last night. I now have 4 QBs going in the top 10. A damn shame. But on the bright side, the Seahawks might be able to grab him now, if they like him. Though, I got him going at 14 to the Saints. Right where Seattle would've picked had they not beat the Cardinals.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
This team is going to hover near .500 as long as Carroll is here. His entire approach is focused on probabilities, and it works for what it is designed to do (be at or above .500 is CLEARLY the goal....not playoffs, division lead, etc.)

The roster ain't great though. Probably a bare cupboard when Carroll is done. But we likely need to be terrible before we end up being good again.
And we haven't been terrible in a long, long, long time. Not sure if our fan base can even handle it. We'll see.
And we apparently love it - I can’t get enough mediocrity. Once I get my patients to moderate depression from severe it’s game over. Kick em out.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
It could also mean a decension into hell, where I firmly believe this team is headed (the cellar/bottom of the league as we keep trading away draft capitol like shoveling water out of a boat with a hole in the bottom.)
If this year hasn’t been hell I don’t know what is. Barely scraping by to beat garbage teams isn’t my ideal of fun.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I think Geno's 2024 salary of 31M will put him somewhere around the 15th highest paid QB?

So yeah, that tracks for about how good he is. Middle of the league starting QB (which isn't saying much considering how god awful the bottom half of the league QB's are).

Which is fine if you surround him with a good defense and good run game. There in lies the rub, both are subpar to downright awful on the defensive side of the ball.

So to me Geno isn't part of the problem, draft or go get whoever you want at QB. Isn't going to matter as long as the defense is dog crap and the run game isn't effective.
May track with where he sits assuming a linear scale, but he could easily be replaced with similar for a little over half the price.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Side note: Penix, might have played himself out of the top 10 with that abysmal performance last night. I now have 4 QBs going in the top 10. A damn shame. But on the bright side, the Seahawks might be able to grab him now, if they like him. Though, I got him going at 14 to the Saints. Right where Seattle would've picked had they not beat the Cardinals.

I can tell you on thing, all the draft experts saying JJ McCarthy is a 1st round pick are crazy.

He's got Mac Jones written all over him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
May track with where he sits assuming a linear scale, but he could easily be replaced with similar for a little over half the price.

Yeah I'm not advocating keeping Geno or not. I'm just saying his pay next year falls in line with about where he ranked this year in stats, etc.

I'm just fine with releasing him, drafting a rookie QB and have a competition with Lock or another cheaper veteran.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Mac Jones was better than McCarthy.
Penix had a bad night, it was bound to happen. He handled it well, considering. The problem is that game highlighted every concern & issue NFL teams were going to have with him:

Durability issues
Footwork concerns
Occasional hitch in his delivery
Longish windup (Trevor Lawrence has a longer one so it isn't endgame)

He probably fell to the 2nd or 3rd, but seems worth it still. Worst case is likely Byron Leftwich, which is still starter level. And still a good chance he will be much, much better. That accuracy wasn't there yesterday. It usually is. He did the best defense in CFB though.

Penix feels more like a Steelers pick. I'd still love to get him. Especially as Carroll has a knack for making limited QBs really good (Leinart, Darnold, Sanchez, Wilson, Smith).

Last edited:

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think this is a good post. Whether or not Seattle drafts someone. , Geno is actually paid about where he needs to be. The problems this team are having aren't because of Geno Smith. Improve the surrounding cast and see what happens. It's the offensive line and the defense .
For many of us it isn’t a direct issue with a middling QB that has no chance of playoff success absent the team being elite in other areas. It is more of a huge concern that the team in NOT building for the future while at the same time being mediocre today. Drafting a QB LAST year and getting him a year of experience in a non playoff year would have signaled Caring about the future.

morgulon1

Reaction score
For many of us it isn’t a direct issue with a middling QB that has no chance of playoff success absent the team being elite in other areas. It is more of a huge concern that the team in NOT building for the future while at the same time being mediocre today. Drafting a QB LAST year and getting him a year of experience in a non playoff year would have signaled Caring about the future.
Who should they have drafted?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We all know Pete is to blame for the mess that is the Seattle Seahawks at this juncture. And Judy as well for not growing a pair, and showing him the door.

However, Geno has extended the mediocrity window by at least 5 years and counting.

I believe the Seahawks will keep Geno Smith as the most expensive bridge QB in football.

They pick at 16. They couldn't get their guy at 5 last year. Geno stays.

And it isn't smart from the perspective of truly trying to build a contender. It's smart if you're trying to be mediocre, which is what this regime is about.

Geno's 4th qtr heroics over world beaters
such as the Titans, Commies, Cardinals, etc. w/Drew Lock chipping in with the Eagles, is going to prevent the Seahawks from drafting their franchise QB in the best QB draft in over 40 years. (1983, look it up.)

Geno playing like a top 5 QB the first half of last year, cost them CJ Stroud, or whatever QB they would've drafted had Geno outright sucked.

It's not Geno's fault for going out there doing the best he can. But it would've made things so much easier had he just plain sucked. New QB, New HC. This whole thing would be getting turned over.

Instead, the team will remain in Pete's Purgatory on the Road to No Where.
Her name is JODY dumbass.
So much sarcastic & FADEd bullshit from a Pete hater, yeah, everybody knows that Geno should've screwed the pooch and just sucked balls????????? GTFOOH

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It was the DEFENSE NOT GENO who sucked ass in the 2023 Campaign, you didn't get the memo??

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I can tell you on thing, all the draft experts saying JJ McCarthy is a 1st round pick are crazy.

He's got Mac Jones written all over him.
They are crazy.

I don't start looking at draft stuff until December every year, and I nearly fell out of my chair about a month ago when a former GM on CBS said he was a 1st rd guy.

He's a late 2nd / 3rd rd guy at best. Cousins, who was a better prospect than him coming out back in the day went in the 4th.

Penix's medical evaluation is going to decide his fate as we all know. Talent wise, he's a 1st rounder.

Mid-Late 1st rounder after a bad final game on the big stage. If he can clear the medical hurdles.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Her name is JODY dumbass.
So much sarcastic & FADEd bullshit from a Pete hater, yeah, everybody knows that Geno should've screwed the pooch and just sucked balls????????? GTFOOH
You think I don't know that?

Hahahahhaha

Ozzy

Reaction score
View attachment 63139
Fair warning, this question usually ends the conversation. We'll wait, nonetheless.

Levis is the only really valid answer, but is Levis a slam dunk yet?

Unless we're doing the whole Purdy angle.
I know I light be the only one but I think Levis with Pete would’ve been an incredible fit. Even if he flames out I still think he would’ve been great here. I think he ends up being a good pro regardless but I love his intensity and just an easy guy to root for

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I know I light be the only one but I think Levis with Pete would’ve been an incredible fit. Even if he flames out I still think he would’ve been great here. I think he ends up being a good pro regardless but I love his intensity and just an easy guy to root for
They're absolutely a good fit together. I just have to wonder if his career ends up being redundant with Lock's. He's got some efficiency issues, but it's not like Tennessee had the most functional offense overall, and he's absolutely kicked his intensity up in the pros. Less goofball, more domineering personality.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Who should they have drafted?
I don’t even care. We wasted a 2nd this year on what will either be a one year rental or a too money contract. That could have been used to better the draft position. The game of “I would have picked … then the “we couldn’t draft him” or “he wouldn’t fit” or “he would not have done as well here“ is just a topic derailer. No thoughts of the future. Spend all your draft capital on winning now and no plan for the future. And then FAILING to win now. LOeffingL

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's a topic derailer to ask for an expansion on your own claim? It's derailment to discuss the actual particulars of who was available, how attainable they were, and their fit on the team?

Every draft pick is now a win-now move solely because it's at a position other than quarterback?

morgulon1

Reaction score
I don’t even care. We wasted a 2nd this year on what will either be a one year rental or a too money contract. That could have been used to better the draft position. The game of “I would have picked … then the “we couldn’t draft him” or “he wouldn’t fit” or “he would not have done as well here“ is just a topic derailer. No thoughts of the future. Spend all your draft capital on winning now and no plan for the future. And then FAILING to win now. LOeffingL
Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think marijuana is a gateway drug BTW .
I never did see what the big deal with the McRib from McDonald's was all about.

Do you think Pete has enjoyed a McRib?

Latest posts