Jamal Adams whispers

GemCity

Reaction score
So we're going to hold a roster spot open for a player that doesn't play special teams and would be used sparingly on defense?
No. Highly unlikely.

What I said was probably his best case scenario.

Just saying that if they are indeed interested in him, there’s got to be a plan or attraction with it. Where’s the positive?

If I were GM? No…that wouldn’t be a roster spot I’d give up….

Agreeing with you…but if they were to actually sign him, I’d think it was for the role I mentioned.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think one thing that has been illuminated this off season is that despite Pete and John being on the same page most of the time and having a great relationship, they weren't always aligned on how players would be used.

Jamal was a John hire. How much Pete wanted him? Who knows. But what is fir certain is John brought him here to be more of a Will type player. Pete let that happen year one, and then promptly squashed that plan thereafter until last year. He went so far as to force jamal into playing SS almost exclusively on year 2 in a flawed scheme. Seems to me Jamal was caught in a war of philosophies with John wanting him to be a menacing LB type who could drop deep when necessary, and Pete forcing him to play what HE wanted him to in HIS system. And in the end, Pete's insistence on running it his way, playing players that John would bring in for purpose 'A', bring made to play in slot 'B' led to his being released.

Jamal wasn't the only one who fell into that trap. C Dunlap was another. Bryant, to a degree, had been another player lost in thr scheme fit dilemma that sprang up between John and the players he brought in and the way Pete wanted to use them.

That's why I think you have to look at the past through a slightly different lens. The whole situation was fubar and the players were lost in the shuffle in some instances and wasted in others.

We will see what the scheme shift can accomplish with the sane pieces.
A John hire??? I disagree with respect, Pete had a history of pushing
for flash and splash players who didn't fit but "we'll make it work".
Let the Niners have him so they are weaker on D instead of us.

As for signing him to vet minimum.. You all get that we are already paying
him Big $$$ even though we cut him right?
I'm so sick of hearing about Adams .. He's up there near Russ with me.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A John hire??? I disagree with respect, Pete had a history of pushing
for flash and splash players who didn't fit but "we'll make it work".
Let the Niners have him so they are weaker on D instead of us.

As for signing him to vet minimum.. You all get that we are already paying
I'm so sick of hearing about Adams .. He's up there near Russ with me.
That's me, too. I said when the trade was announced that this had better work out or I was holding Pete accountable, and it started out great. But from 2021 on, I began to realize that his early success was due more to thriving in the vacuum of a near historically bad pass rush than it was anything else. The Adams debacle was the defining event that changed my attitude towards Pete.

This past season made me lose respect for Adams as a man, his below the belt 'yikes' comment about a reporter's wife on social media and his dressing down of completely innocent people just trying to do their jobs and doing so not once, but twice. The guy is a POS, and I'd tell him that to his face.

So, I do have to admit to a personal bias, but I don't think it's changed my opinion of him as a player. Like you, I'm sick of hearing about him. I want to move on.

Scout

Reaction score
I guess you can use Adams in big nickel packages to disrupt around the LOS but Spoon has that covered. Witherspoon is going to be playing boundary CB if needed, nickel or even as a deep safety over the top. Or even split with Love in a cover 2 shell.

You have Taylor as a situational pass rusher and when it comes to push to shove Taylor as a blitzer up the a gap can probably do more than Adams. And we know that in pass rushing situations he can blow past OTs.

So the way his former coach Todd Bowles used him was to lurk near the LOS and to blitz him from the outside of the tackle box. Kind of surprise that his old coach didn't bring him in yet so far this year. But they did draft Tykee Smith who they will be using in a similar role as a nickel near the LoS like Spoon will be doing at times. And they have Whitehead and Winfield Jr. that can play near the tackle box or as free safeties over the top.

The few times that Adams has looked competent in coverage was with zone looks or fire zone blitz looks where Adams is a stand up rusher near the LOS and then drops into a zone to disrupt short passing lanes that very common due to Shanahan and McVay style of offenses.

What I am saying is that the team has plenty of talent now compared to when they made the trade for Adams so his value isn't at the same importance. But it is a fair question to ask is his roster spot worth it as situational blitzer or run stuffer?

Last edited:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Same. There are probably ways for him to get injured that fans couldn't dream of.

Like tripping over a paring block on his way to the car...right after signing a fully guaranteed contract.

warden

Reaction score
Its hard to make any concrete assessments of what anyone on that defense last year is/was capable of when you pull back the curtain and see the level of disfunction, confusion and disinterest that was pervasive over the last half of the year. I guarantee you that the players knew that the system and its coaches weren't going to get them anywhere. And in THAT climate, regarldess of how much money you make, you can lose your edge and your desire to commit to the scheme or th eplay the way you should. Failure breeds failure if there's no discernable way to fix things.

As for Jamal, i dont understand what the gripe is with bringing him back if the deal is team friendly. Its not like there's a long list of available FAs who could come in who have remotely the ceiling that Jamal has in terms of instinct and sheer talent. Was KJ ever as fast in his prime as post injury Jamal? I'd say that Jamal now is what KJ was at the combine (4.71). Jamal was 4.51. Jamal with a bum quad has 2 tenths to give up to be as fast as KJ was coming out of college.. So its not like the dude is unserviceable.

And playing coverage at safety in space isnt remotely the same as playing it from the Will position. Not close. Half the coverage busts he was involved in didnt look a whole lot different from the busts every other player in our secondary over the last 2 years have had. There isnt a guy, with the exception of Love and Spoon, who was routinley in the right place.

As to his unwillingness to hit? I dont see that either as much as i saw a guy likely not 100% from a catastrophic leg injury. If anything, he was trying TOO hard at times to make the hit early in his comeback last year and then at some point, like Diggs, Riq, Burns... again, like MOST of the D, he seemed out of sync. But is that a statement on his desire to play the game the way he always has? I dont think so. But that's my opinion.

If the coaches see him as a good fit, get him on a reasonable 'prove it' type deal and see what he can do in Mike's scheme.

Its Jamal Adams vs THESE guys. Jamal is 28, BTW

Bud Dupree, OLB, Falcons. Age: 31.
Marquis Haynes, OLB, Panthers. Age: 30.
Markus Golden, OLB, Steelers. Age: 33.
Tyus Bowser, OLB, Ravens. Age: 29.
Anthony Barr, OLB, Vikings. Age: 32.
Bruce Irvin, OLB, Dolphins. Age: 36.

Of that list, Dupree is the best option, but the dude is way beyond peak. Granted, its not a complete list of EVERYONE the team can get, but they were considered the best of the rest after FA this year.
This time of year it is an extreme buyers market. The players are in a take what you can get position. They can’t be choosy. Adams will probably come back at league minimum after one game of the regular season starts so hey don’t have to guarantee the whole salary if they decide to cut him

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
This time of year it is an extreme buyers market. The players are in a take what you can get position. They can’t be choosy. Adams will probably come back at league minimum after one game of the regular season starts so hey don’t have to guarantee the whole salary if they decide to cut him
Word has it Adams thinks he is still with more than the vet min until he comes to the conclusion he isn’t he won’t sign, Adams will probably be unsigned going into the season and be an injury replacement for a desperate team. Brian Urlacher in his last season was only offered $3 million per year he didn’t think it was worth it to put his body through another season for the money and retired

flv2

Reaction score
I'd have no issues with a non guaranteed contract with no signing bonus. Basically he's a potential try-out. No reason to even look at him at this point. Any try-out offer could wait until August.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
You all get that we are already paying
I don't believe that is correct.

When cut, Adams didn't have any guaranteed money remaining on his contract.

He has a dead money cap hit of $20.8M this year... but that's just a bookkeeping thing... the $20.8M is what remained from his prorated signing bonus.

The Hawks are definitely not paying him $20.8M this year.

evergreen

Reaction score
I think the Adams ship has sailed. It’s out of view and over the horizon. But people want something to talk about so carry on.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't believe that is correct.

When cut, Adams didn't have any guaranteed money remaining on his contract.

He has a dead money cap hit of $20.8M this year... but that's just a bookkeeping thing... the $20.8M is what remained from his prorated signing bonus.

The Hawks are definitely not paying him $20.8M this year.
Perhaps I am wrong but I thought he had one more year guaranteed at a lower figure than years past.