Jamals quad isn’t right a year later. Could miss tc

RiverDog

Reaction score
The Graham trade would have been great but for two things that shared the same problem: he was underutilized at his strengths. Play calling for him was atrocious. And even when they did kinda figure out how to use him in the red zone, we steadfastedly refused to utilize the same concepts for 3rd and >5 yards. There’s probably a Venn diagram overlap shaped like an overinflated football with this problem and the second. Me3’s aversion to throwing to receivers who weren’t two steps open. Jimmy’s size, hands, and box out skills were his strengths. Like Moss, he didn’t need to be “open” to catch the ball. Mighty Mouse just spent so much time not throwing receivers open and then pulling magic out of his ass on the scramble drill. And then when they’d do it successfully a few times, they’d just forget it for games at a time (see also:quick slant or any other quick pass, especially on short yardage downs).

The Graham trade was a good trade, it was just fumbled by the QB and OC. A good trade costs a lot. I of course prefer larcenous trades like a 4th for Beastmode or the ME3 Bonanza, but the JG trade was a good call and absolutely should have worked.

Harvin was a bad trade for a diva player. I hate that he has one of our best SB highlights, but it isn’t as bad as Stevens having our first SB TD in history.

I’m not mad about Adams. We needed some spine in our D at the time and a big play artist. He had no injury history and hit like a truck. I chalk it up to bad luck that he’s had successive injuries but they all occurred because he put 100% of his effort on the field abd he played through even more. What’s inexcusable was not having a backup plan last year for if he got injured again now that they knew he was getting hurt a lot.
With regards to the Graham trade. What you said about his underutilization is spot on. He was supposed to be our answer to our problems in the red zone and he never was. But there was more to his play than just his receiving. He was a very poor blocker, not a good attribute for a run first team that relies on a top 10 defense to win games. Graham was soft, a finesse player, not the type of guy you want on a smash mouth team. He did not fit the character of the type of teams we had during our LOB years.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Me3 asked for Jimmy Graham and for Percy Harvin. Both were mistakes with Russell Wilson wanting more weapons. There are several posters on this forum that wanted to do everything possible to keep the QB happy. He also asked for past their primes Brandon Marshall and Greg Olsen. None of them ever really worked out as planned.
Do you have any evidence for that? I can believe it for Jimmy G and the others, but the Harvin trade was when Wilson had just finished his rookie season, I doubt he would have had mch clout in who the team signs at that stage. I also got the impression he was pretty humble and respected the front office decisions until around the end of his rookie contract.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
One of the easiest ways to judge if a trade is good at the time the trade was made is to look at the realistic odds of actually being able to look back and like the trade. Seems simple enough, right?
Start off by looking at what we gave up just to get him: 2 1st rounders. How well exactly does a safety have to play to be worth *two* first rounders? How many games per season must you get out of him?
Then look at the contract that was given out. I will use this opportunity to state that I have been against doing trade-extentions since *before* the horrible Harvin trade. How on earth are you going to trade the farm and then empty the bank account on a player that hasn't even suited up for you???
Based on the contract we gave Adams, he would've needed to perform as one of the top 2 safeties AND average 14+ games per season.

Bottom line: with the trade compensation AND new contract there was virtually no room for error on Adams part. He had to be *everything* they dreamed of and stay healthy.

Realistically there was only about a 5% chance that we would look back at it kindly. Pete and John completely blew that one, and it was an unforced error because it made no sense from day 1. It was a terrible deal the moment the ink dried.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
With regards to the Graham trade. What you said about his underutilization is spot on. He was supposed to be our answer to our problems in the red zone and he never was. But there was more to his play than just his receiving. He was a very poor blocker, not a good attribute for a run first team that relies on a top 10 defense to win games. Graham was soft, a finesse player, not the type of guy you want on a smash mouth team. He did not fit the character of the type of teams we had during our LOB years.
There must have been some very bad miscommunication between front office and coaches. Maybe a power struggle.
Graham was never known for his blocking, so expecting him to be a block-first TE made no sense.
Either treat him like a receiver or don't trade for him at all. Square peg, round hole, etc.

BASF

Reaction score
Do you have any evidence for that? I can believe it for Jimmy G and the others, but the Harvin trade was when Wilson had just finished his rookie season, I doubt he would have had mch clout in who the team signs at that stage. I also got the impression he was pretty humble and respected the front office decisions until around the end of his rookie contract.
Unfortunately no. All of the articles now regarding the two center around Harvin leading the Wilson is not black enough crap that started the problems in the locker room. River Dog is probably right about Bevell being the one that wanted him brought in.

Scout

Reaction score
There is no meta or zig zag from the rest of the league for trading for a box safety and surrendering two firsts. It was simply not a good trade. The contract for a player of Adams' caliber wasn't so bad as his inability to stay available.

Adams can play in coverage but his forte is in the box and box safeties can be found easily in rounds 3-5 of the draft. Adams was given the money he was given because of his supreme athletic traits as a box safety. A box safety that can not stay healthy isn't a surprise. That is like saying a RB should be healthy after taking a beating for 3-4 years which is why most RBs are not given second or third contracts on the NFL level. Handing a big contract to a box safety is just as risky as giving a second contract to a RB coming off a rookie deal.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
@Hawkstorian Has him being a June cut.I want this to be true
I'm sick of keeping glass players around and getting hopes up
on them.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
River Dog is probably right about Bevell being the one that wanted him brought in.

The way I remember it... it was Pete that coveted Harvin coming out of college.

And when the "Harvin's not happy" rumblings started in MIN, he gave John the assignment to make the trade happen.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
The way I remember it... it was Pete that coveted Harvin coming out of college.

And when the "Harvin's not happy" rumblings started in MIN, he gave John the assignment to make the trade happen.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Pete was either the head guy on that deal, or was at least highly enthusiastic about it, because that was a deal that had huge ramifications for the team as soon as the deal was done.
Tate was entering his contract year, and it became obvious that the Seahawks had chosen to go with Harvin instead of extending Tate because there was no way we could afford both. The moment they traded for Harvin it guaranteed it would be Tate's last season with us.
I will point out that it was also bad for the locker room even before any attitudes were put on display. The hawks had too many players fighting to become stars and earn big contracts, and it was already going to be tough to keep our core players, and then the first huge contract was given to a guy who hadn't played a single down for us. His huge contract made him the big guy in the locker room. Percy Harvin made more money sitting on the sideline for 1 game than a lot of our guys were making in a whole season. There was just way too much risk and too little reward for a glorified running back.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Back to the OP, Jamal Adams was a great player. I hope I'm wrong but he might not play again. I had the same or similar injury and I've never been the same since... and I'm not a football player. Big differences though I'm over 50, etc. I'm just happy to be walking with limits and pain. I can't imagine what he's up against trying to get it back to playing shape. I don't expect to see him on the field this year. It's just unfortunate for all - player, team and fans.
Rooting for him, though. I'd love to see him playing at full strength again.

bileever

Reaction score
A quadricep tendon tear is a rare injury (less than 2 in 100,000). This injury typically happens to older people, in their 50s or older and those people usually have some other co-morbidity.

But it has happened to other NFL players, and some have been able to recover and resume their careers. There was even a study done on the impact of this injury on NFL players that was published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine:

14 NFL players between 1994 and 2004 had a quadricep tendon injury. All 14 players had the injury surgically repaired, and half of them were able to play again. Those are not very good odds. Hopefully treatment of this injury has improved since 2004, and that the chances of successful rehab are higher.

In any case, it's a tough road to recovery, and I wish Jamal the best in his rehab efforts.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Did it cross anyone else's mind he might maybe possibly could be a potential trade chip as part of acquiring DL?

AnimeAmore

Reaction score

Agreed. Things that truly matter (like rehab) are way more important than showing support or "standing with the team."
He is a highly paid player who has barely done anything for us, and the #1 priority should be on getting him ready for the upcoming season.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Agreed. Things that truly matter (like rehab) are way more important than showing support or "standing with the team."
He is a highly paid player who has barely done anything for us, and the #1 priority should be on getting him ready for the upcoming season.

Hes rehabbing? Fine, he can do that here instead of sitting on his ass in Florida…

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I think its more the fact that Jamal Adams has never really invested himself into this team. He is invested in himself and making money but the vibe he gives is that is all that really matters to him.

He gave that vibe in N.Y. as well.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
Hes rehabbing? Fine, he can do that here instead of sitting on his ass in Florida…
Yeah, what a loser. Pay to have your doctors, physicians, etc., along with all their equipment move to Seattle. He got paid. Open a facility right next to Lumem, I mean...damn.

Zero commitment to his team, just a total scrub bum.

Someone go to FL shame this man!

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeah, what a loser. Pay to have your doctors, physicians, etc., along with all their equipment move to Seattle. He got paid. Open a facility right next to Lumem, I mean...damn.

Zero commitment to his team, just a total scrub bum.

Someone go to FL shame this man!
I have full confidence the seahawks have all the things necessary to do rehab at their facility.

Latest posts