Jarran Reed to be released

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I think it could be argued that Hyder and Collier potentially replace Reed's pass rush ability when they are shifted inside on passing downs, even without technically playing the same base positions.

Jville

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2931h7o0 said:
A lot of misinformed people on this message board. Hyder and Collier are not replacements for Reed. They don't play the same position.

Thinking within the confines of mono e mono replacement concepts has rather limited usefulness. Each and every player is unique in what they bring to the team .

Thinking of alternatives and how a different skills mix fits into different situations within a new emerging rotation is much more engaging and enlightening. Fortunately, we are blessed to have such well informed posters among us.

Returning to the subject of Jarran Reed .......

As I recall, a number of us thought his contract extension was too much at the time of extension. My explanation was that they were paying him to be the player they thought he could become. Reed's contract reminded me of the contract extension they game Red Bryant to become the player they envisioned him becoming. Unfortunately, both contract extensions ended the same way with terminations. It happens :229031_shrug:

AgentDib

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":92o58l17 said:
A lot of misinformed people on this message board. Hyder and Collier are not replacements for Reed. They don't play the same position.
Hyder and Collier will both get a shot to compete in that MikeB role where they play 5 tech on first down and then shift inside on predictable passing situations. So a better comparison is Mone + Collier vs. Reed, but posters are mainly just talking about the pass rush component.

Pete strongly favors a very deep DL rotation with lots of movement, frequent substitution and specialty roles. Teams like the Packers can take advantage of those substitution packages occasionally but overall it lets us get more bang for our buck then just sinking a ton of resources into a few guys and hoping they stay healthy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
More on the background of Reed's release rom Bob Condotta:

Bob Condotta
@bcondotta
·
3h
My understanding of the Jarran Reed thing --- team simply wanted to convert his salary into bonus and add void years to spread it out over 2-3 years. He would have gotten same amount of money. But he didn't want to do it, wanted extension. That led to decision to trade/ release.

This surely indicates that Redd and the team talked a potential new deal and the team was not even close to what reed thought he'd get so he got upset and refused to approve the extension, perhaps misunderstanding that he was not going to lose any money. Either that or he thought he'd get better stats playing for another team tor hr was quietly unhappy in Seattle.

Kind of dumb if you think about it as the void years would mean nothing in terms of lost contract value.

rcaido

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1vgrraf0 said:
More on the background of Reed's release rom Bob Condotta:

Bob Condotta
@bcondotta
·
3h
My understanding of the Jarran Reed thing --- team simply wanted to convert his salary into bonus and add void years to spread it out over 2-3 years. He would have gotten same amount of money. But he didn't want to do it, wanted extension. That led to decision to trade/ release.

This surely indicates that Redd and the team talked a potential new deal and the team was not even close to what reed thought he'd get so he got upset and refused to approve the extension, perhaps misunderstanding that he was not going to lose any money. Either that or he thought he'd get better stats playing for another team tor hr was quietly unhappy in Seattle.

Kind of dumb if you think about it as the void years would mean nothing in terms of lost contract value.

This was beyond dumb, he gave up 3.5million. Reed was willing to give up more than 35% less of his salary to go to team that will show him supposedly more love by taking less money and only one year contract...Wow

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Reed didn't want to be a Seahawk after his buddy Frank Clark got traded. If he's about the money, he would have agreed to the restructure as he would have received more than he's getting with the Chiefs. His agent even advised him to do so and stay with the Seahawks.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vzr7zcw said:
Reed didn't want to be a Seahawk after his buddy Frank Clark got traded. If he's about the money, he would have agreed to the restructure as he would have received more than he's getting with the Chiefs. His agent even advised him to do so and stay with the Seahawks.
He wanted years not one year.

A long term extension would have paid him his guarantee money he wanted.

Instead of taking the one year, more money with the Seahawks.

He opted for the one year less money with the Chiefs.

Both options would have allowed him to sign with another team next off season, possibly that 3-4 year deal he wanted but he felt slighted Seattle was not willing to offer him a multi year deal so his pride took him to Kansas City.

If he believes Kansas City will pay him a multi year deal he’s over estimated his value.

Kansas City has Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Jones, and others being paid top dollars, if Reed believes KC will give him a long-term deal, he’s mistaken.

But, he might want to play for a contender this year and then get his money elsewhere.

It’s okay, Jarran Reed, is okay, he’s not great. But Seattle is better off using the money elsewhere.

Jville

Reaction score
By way of follow up, I'll just add this .................

Reed was on the field for 73.6% of the snaps. So his departure opens up opportunities for player development. That's something Poona Ford, who was on the field for 58.2% of the snaps, took advantage of in his development. Bryan Mone made himself known with 19.8% of the snaps. With any luck, man handling Al Woods will demonstrate his veteran savvy and add to Mone's zero and one technique development. Cedrick Lattimore returns in need of snaps as he saw no time on the field in 2020.

I'm anticipating a more enhanced match-up / rotation in 2021. This year's interior snap count leader will likely fall below 65% ..... and 60% is possible.

Latitimore was, if I recall correctly, viewed as a one gap defender with good pass rush potential. Presumably, Myles Adams is also viewed as a similar prospect. LJ Collier has already been identified to transition to more interior snaps. Poona Ford, Bryan Mone and Cedrick Lattimore were all rookie free agents in successive years. That's an encouraging and affordable pipeline of talent acquisition.

We are entering into the time of the year for great expectations.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":1n2euon1 said:

Reed was on the field for 73.6% of the snaps. So his departure opens up opportunities for player development. That's something Poona Ford, who was on the field for 58.2% of the snaps, took advantage of in his development. Bryan Mone made himself known with 19.8% of the snaps. With any luck, man handling Al Woods will demonstrate his veteran savvy and add to Mone's zero and one technique development. Cedrick Lattimore returns in need of snaps as he saw no time on the field in 2020.

I'm anticipating a more enhanced match-up / rotation in 2021. This year's interior snap count leader will likely fall below 65% ..... and 60% is possible.

Latitimore was, if I recall correctly, viewed as a one gap defender with good pass rush potential. Presumably, Myles Adams is also viewed as a similar prospect. LJ Collier has already been identified to transition to more interior snaps. Poona Ford, Bryan Mone and Cedrick Lattimore were all rookie free agents in successive years. That's an encouraging and affordable pipeline of talent acquisition.

We carried a lot of active guys on the 53 that never really played last year, adding to the Dline and maybe one less DB and one less WR or RB will help rotation wise, I know in our Super Bowl runs we were heavy with active D line.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":2wsrbxo6 said:

Fresher legs towards the end of the season would be huge.

Wilson talked about dissatisfaction, Reed left millions on the table just to get out.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk