Jarran Reed to be released

chris98251

Reaction score
There are a lot of cuts restructuring and resigning's going to happen, Reed is missing the first wave so teams will have to cut or restructure if they want him mostly, he didn't want to do it here why he was cut, we will have to see if other teams are going to go after 5 million plus for him. I expect him to ask but not get many bites, he does have youth on his side however where many others are in the 30ish range.

Jville

Reaction score
I think they are going to be ok inside.

Jarran Reed is a very good 2 position player when healthy. But, young Poona Ford continued to improve at both positions. And, Bryan Mone possess legitimate nose tackle size and demonstrated much improved play as 2020 came to an end.

In Pete's mind, that 3 technique is most important. I expect to see the coaching staff place special emphasis on that competition. They are stacking the roster with the competition necessary to make that a top priority in 2021.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":2qky54ya said:
I think they are going to be ok inside.

Jarran Reed is a very good 2 position player when healthy. But, young Poona Ford continued to improve at both positions. And, Bryan Mone possess legitimate nose tackle size and demonstrated much improved play as 2020 came to an end.

In Pete's mind, that 3 technique is most important. I expect to see the coaching staff place special emphasis on that competition. They are stacking the roster with the competition necessary to make that a top priority in 2021.

Also with limited draft capital, much easier to get a inside tackle that fits your need then to reach for a skill player and hope.

We can't afford projects and reaches this year. Knowing Pete redshirts most guys, a inside tackle for run support could be a pick up cheap and late.

kf3339

Reaction score
Had a feeling this was happening as well. I never really saw him as a 3tech DT for us. I hope we can trade him for a draft pick, but the cap space savings is great too!

But good luck to him!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":8nx3rnhv said:
hawkfan68":8nx3rnhv said:
Hopefully this opens the way for a Geno Atkins signing. That would be a massive upgrade at the position. Reed was good but Atkins is great. As an added plus he would be a great mentor for Collier, et al.

You have a point! Our DT’s are small right now if we play NE they will run it down our throats.

Of all the teams to worry about. We don't play them again until 2024.

kf3339

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":1nkumuar said:
hawkfan68":1nkumuar said:
Hopefully this opens the way for a Geno Atkins signing. That would be a massive upgrade at the position. Reed was good but Atkins is great. As an added plus he would be a great mentor for Collier, et al.

You have a point! Our DT’s are small right now if we play NE they will run it down our throats.

Poona Ford and Bryan Mone are not small DT's. Poona is 310 lbs. and just shy of 6 foot. Mone is 6'3" and about 340+ so not sure what you are talking about.

King Dog

Reaction score
Pretty sad we signed a guy for 13.5M or whatever and can't even get a 7th for him when he's in his 20's lol

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Looks like Reed will be playing next to Frank Clark once again. Reed heading to KC.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ Thanks for the update. :2thumbs:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1376325952851042309[/tweet]

So ...... KC saved some money and draft choice by waiting. More evidence that patience pays. :D

EDIT: Rapoport's conclusion is wrong. Reed is now in KC because it was about the money and the cap.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good for Reed. I had a feeling he would sign with the Chiefs. He is good friends with Frank Clark. He didn’t seem too happy when the Seahawks traded Clark a couple of years ago. Prior to that he had his career best season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Good lord the Chiefs are stacked. Only question left is who they will be seeing in the SB,,,,Green Bay or a rematch with Tampa.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":meel2nyg said:
Good lord the Chiefs are stacked. Only question left is who they will be seeing in the SB,,,,Green Bay or a rematch with Tampa.

Green Bay is soft. I'm thinking Rams and Niners are gonna challenge Tampa. Niners with that running game and Nick Bosa coming back. Rams with Stafford, Donald, Ramsey and overall good team/coaching. Obviously Tampa is the team to beat in the NFC with Brady and the full supporting cast coming back.

seabowl

Reaction score
IMO they should have found a way to keep him. Not too many interior linemen in the league that can get after the qb.

He is not replaceable with anyone currently on the roster. Not Hyder, Collier etc...

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SuperMan28":3tpc9cyf said:
pittpnthrs":3tpc9cyf said:

Green Bay is soft. I'm thinking Rams and Niners are gonna challenge Tampa. Niners with that running game and Nick Bosa coming back. Rams with Stafford, Donald, Ramsey and overall good team/coaching. Obviously Tampa is the team to beat in the NFC with Brady and the full supporting cast coming back.

Very well could be right

AgentDib

Reaction score
King Dog":3g61utrs said:
Pretty sad we signed a guy for 13.5M or whatever and can't even get a 7th for him when he's in his 20's lol
You do realize that the contract is why we couldn't trade him, right? If he was under contract for say 3 mil we would have tons of offers, but $6m was his market value and we were paying him a lot more than that.

getnasty

Reaction score
seabowl":3eyixcc8 said:
IMO they should have found a way to keep him. Not too many interior linemen in the league that can get after the qb.

He is not replaceable with anyone currently on the roster. Not Hyder, Collier etc...

I'm not sure what Mayowa is getting but i'd much rather have kept Reed then resigned him. Seems like we have a glaring hole when it comes to interior pass rush.

Poona, Woods, Mone are great against the run but they wouldn't be my first choice to have on field in obvious pass downs.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
A lot of misinformed people on this message board. Hyder and Collier are not replacements for Reed. They don't play the same position.