Jordyn Brooks is a Seahawk

Reaction score
The pick is growing on me. Fans may have wanted a DE, but I don't think there's much of a drop off between Gross-Matos, Epenesa, and some other DEs. They'll still be able to get a decent edge rusher in the 2nd round or later.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Big12 is all about offense. Was Brooks a standout playing defense in that conference? Appears our staff thought so, and that Wags and KJ needed the support more than our pass rush. I happy about the addition of Irvin and Makowi (SP?) but I'm not convinced about Brooks/BPA theory.
Whatever, now that he's a Seahawk I hope he turns out to be All World good.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Given the weak tackling of the OLBs last season I suspect the team hasn’t got that much faith in Barton ot Burr-Kirven and Kendricks had a late ACL tear so he’s out and not re-signed. Finally unfortunately KJ Wright is very close to being done and in his last season under contract. This is a need position, the rest of the depth is not of potential staring quality. This player has ability and has a high upside.

I suspect the team wanted to trade back to the early 2nd but the trades were not able to be made. As ever the team has their own value for players and we are usually relying on values from the conventional draft sources.

I want to see him play.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status/1253527975095648256[/tweet]

I looked this up, Wells:
2011 Utah State (QB/RC)
2012 Utah State (OC/QB)
2013–2018 Utah State

Bobby was at Utah St from 08 - 11. So he didn't personally coach Bobby's position, but he obviously knows him, probably talked him up to the PC/JS. There's some similarities there too, as far as measurables.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
jammerhawk":37tdoz6z said:
Given the weak tackling of the OLBs last season I suspect the team hasn’t got that much faith in Barton ot Burr-Kirven and Kendricks had a late ACL tear so he’s out and not re-signed. Finally unfortunately KJ Wright is very close to being done and in his last season under contract. This is a need position, the rest of the depth is not of potential staring quality. This player has ability and has a high upside.

I suspect the team wanted to trade back to the early 2nd but the trades were not able to be made. As ever the team has their own value for players and we are usually relying on values from the conventional draft sources.

I want to see him play.

Your suspicion was confirmed by John Schneider in the presser. Stated they had a trade set up that fell through. Specifically mentioned Green Bay, said they got a better deal to go to 26 and it was a bit surprising.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Think this pick - and I think Brooks will be a long time staple Seahawk - is a pick you make for a player who can contribute early with minimal offseason.

CPHawk

Reaction score
vonstout":2em7zx1v said:
Baltimore can send a thank you to Seattle. They get Queen

Queen had the luxury of playing on a D with a bunch of nfl guys. Brooks was on a D without a single guy on the DL, who would break into the 2 deep at LSU. And he still made plays.

Subzero717

Reaction score
vonstout":2710f9pv said:
Almost every DE that was projected to be available was there and it’s a huge need. Even if this guy ends up being great, if we could have moved into the middle of round 2 and still got him, it’s a terrible pick. But you have to find a trade partner

Yes all thise DE were there and none of the othervteams were taking them either. The Edge class was Chase Young, huge gap, Klavin who is raw as heck abd then another huge gap. Taking zny of those DE would have been a equivalent reach.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1o12gbhk said:
jammerhawk":1o12gbhk said:

I want to see him play.

Your suspicion was confirmed by John Schneider in the presser. Stated they had a trade set up that fell through. Specifically mentioned Green Bay, said they got a better deal to go to 26 and it was a bit surprising.

As well had another trade that just didnt materialize.

fav13259

Reaction score
I’ve seen several mocks where he’s taken at 38 by the Panthers. They mustn’t have been able to trade with anybody before 38 or must’ve felt that Carolina could potentially trade up and steal them had they traded down some.... they also must feel he fits a bigger hole than Epenesa or Gross-Matos, or Okwara at 27 and that one of them may be available at #59

Not sure, but the way KJ and Kendricks played last year (slow) tells me Pete just found their replacement. Might also mean Pete’s still going to stay base 4-3 more times than not.

Reaction score
fav13259":sd0ap1ds said:
I’ve seen several mocks where he’s taken at 38 by the Panthers. They mustn’t have been able to trade with anybody before 38 or must’ve felt that Carolina could potentially trade up and steal them had they traded down some.... they also must feel he fits a bigger hole than Epenesa or Gross-Matos, or Okwara at 27 and that one of them may be available at #59

Not sure, but the way KJ and Kendricks played last year (slow) tells me Pete just found their replacement. Might also mean Pete’s still going to stay base 4-3 more times than not.

The defense looked very slow at times last year. Best example was the second Rams game where they looked painfully slow. They get a ton of speed with Brooks. Agree that the pick makes a lot of sense if they're going to be sticking with the 4-3 base on most snaps.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Our linebackers have gotten slower and older by the year. This is what we needed, a THUMPER, as Chucka Knox would say. I don't claim any special insight to PC/JS thinking, other than that Pete LOVES to have speedy linebackers and we became an average/slow group the last few years.

I love the BPA pick and clearly the Hawks rated Brooks above Queen, and as was pointed out, Queen had the rest of the LSU NFL-level talent around him, while Brooks had to make plays without that support.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Yep, absolute agreement with Olyfan.

It was hard to watch some of the LB play last year. It was harder to admit what it meant going forward.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":225iy66a said:
Anybody notice our comments for our drafts are always the same, its kinda funny. Why didnt we draft, @#$%, he was right there? He's a good player but we could have had him in X rounds.

Its like a template, we just swap names every year. :D
Yep. Fantasy Football and Madden makes everyone think they are a top notch talent evaluator.
Some take it personal that Seattle didn’t take the player they “mocked” in their mock draft.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
olyfan63":19u8ai31 said:
Our linebackers have gotten slower and older by the year. This is what we needed, a THUMPER, as Chucka Knox would say. I don't claim any special insight to PC/JS thinking, other than that Pete LOVES to have speedy linebackers and we became an average/slow group the last few years.

I love the BPA pick and clearly the Hawks rated Brooks above Queen, and as was pointed out, Queen had the rest of the LSU NFL-level talent around him, while Brooks had to make plays without that support.
Good points.

vonstout

Reaction score
Read a lot of evaluations on him late last night. Supposedly one of the best tacklers in the draft and has speed, but is weak in coverage skills. That's a huge problem if he doesn't improve in that area. Still think Queen would have been the better pick. Baltimore continues to be one of the top drafting front offices and took him with the next pick. Let's hope his coverage skills are good enough to be a 3 down player. Otherwise, it was a bad pick IMO.

chihawk

Reaction score
Jason La Canfora (Baltimore based) tweeted Ravens were high on Murray, Brooks, and Queen.

Ken Weinman (Baltimore sport radio) tweeted he thinks Queen was third on Ravens LB board after Murray and Brooks).

So, if Seattle didn't pick him there, Baltimore very well would have picked Brooks in the next pick.