Jordyn Brooks is a Seahawk

Bobblehead

Reaction score
In a defense that relies heavily on linebackers to cover.. this isn't it.. he can't cover a jar of jelly.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
#1 it wasn't a reach
#2 Our LB play last year was abysmal and the main reason we were awful against the run
#3 We needed to add team speed BADLY, we got beat on the edge a million times.
#4 we needed to improve tackling. How painful was it last year watching all those missed tackles?
#5 the hawks obviously had him rated higher than Queen and a lot of other guys that were available.

This guys addresses all those issues we saw. this guy is legit and will be starting.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":oa5sejx1 said:
#1 it wasn't a reach
#2 Our LB play last year was abysmal and the main reason we were awful against the run
#3 We needed to add team speed BADLY, we got beat on the edge a million times.
#4 we needed to improve tackling. How painful was it last year watching all those missed tackles?
#5 the hawks obviously had him rated higher than Queen and a lot of other guys that were available.

This guys addresses all those issues we saw. this guy is legit and will be starting.

Hard to disagree with any of this :2thumbs:

xgeoff

Reaction score
chris98251":1r63to7w said:
Last first rounder we got from Texas was pretty good.....

Germain Ifedi?? :pukeface:

Seriously though, I could see some very good things coming from this pick. I also was hoping for an edge rusher, but we spent a top draft pick on D-line last year. You never know how these guys are going to pan out.

I wonder if part of the thought was getting someone who could counter the likes of Lamar Jackson?

cheese22

Reaction score
The only logic I can come up with for the pick is this:
If PCJS wanted to come out of the first 2 rounds with DE, DT and LB, it's possible they knew that there were more DE and DT options available at the end of the second round than there would be LB's. There are still a few good Edge guys left that are projected around our picks. There are still several DT's that will be available. But, the drop off at LB is considerable.
So now they focus on DL to come away with 3 guys they like instead of waiting until the second on an LB that they don't like. We can still come out of this with one of Okwara, Uche, Anae, YGM and one of R Davis, Madabuike, Hamilton, etc.
I'm hoping it all makes sense in the end.

olyfan63

Reaction score
My take is that PC/JS felt Brooks would become a quality starter, high snap-count guy quickly, along with filling a need.

Last year, they reached a bit to get a DL/Edge who turned out to need more development time than they projected. Last year's pick had so little impact I can't even remember his name right now. He was from a Texas school I think, but can't recall which one. OK, LJ Collier. The name came to me.

Also, getting a young guy like Jordyn Brooks ensures that his development is under the tutelage and mentorship of The Great Bobby Wagner and The Great KJ Wright, tenured full professors at Seahawks Linebackers U. Yes, KJ is Great, as great as Bobby, in the mental aspects of the game, just not quite as physically gifted/speedy as Bobby. Bobby should make the HOF while KJ is one of those guys that was consistently very good but only made the Pro Bowl a couple times or so.

Love the pick, and I think others will too. Yes, he'll make mistakes in coverage, but KJ and Bobby will help him get on the right track quickly.

vonstout

Reaction score
Could have taken Matos at 27, Baun at 59 if Brooks was gone, and Okwara At 64.

toffee

Reaction score
vonstout":20ezrxlk said:
Could have taken Matos at 27, Baun at 59 if Brooks was gone, and Okwara At 64.
That

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivotuk

Reaction score
And time will tell that JS took the correct player. I understand the initial reaction, "Who is this guy?!@?!" Well, the people who have devoted their life to studying College Football Players, and have been very successful at it , know who he is. Seattle, Baltimore, Chad Reuter, Mel Kiper...

Our run defense was abysmal last year! Then there's Kyler Murray, the human pinball. Jordyn will improve a huge weakness we had last year, tackling.

Mel Kiper on NFLN "I Had him going NO LATER THAN MID 2nd ROUND."

Per Dave Wyman, Baltimore was planning on taking him with the very next pick, but thankfully the trade fell through.

Finally, we get Bobby Wagner some help! What did we have last year? An aging Bobby Wagner, a gimpy KJ Wright, Kendricks who is now injured, and 2 rookies.

Chad Reuter:

Seattle Seahawks

Draft pick: Texas Tech LB Jordyn Brooks (No. 27 overall)

Day 1 grade and analysis: B

Seattle made a pick at its original draft slot for the first time since 2012, selecting an excellent football player in Brooks at No. 27 overall. A shoulder injury that required surgery in December might have contributed to him falling off the radar a bit. Brooks' career will be compared with that of LSU star Patrick Queen, whom the Ravens selected with the very next pick. The Seahawks could have used an offensive tackle like Joshua Jones or a defensive lineman like Ross Blacklock, but I really like Brooks as an explosive, heady defensive leader.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... l-32-teams

Fudwamper

Reaction score
This Brooks pick is great. He would thrive in the Hawks 43-over in both OLB positions, He would need some help as the SAM in the 4-3 under with Move TE's. He played 3 years at OLB at TT and was a good cover back. Don't let lazy Draft writers sell you that he is not good. He was just not asked to do much of it his senior year. He mostly spied.

Look up Brian Baldwins Draft twitter of Brooks from April 9th with no sound. Then look up Baldy's breakdown of Wagner with no sound.

This kid has the make up to be a good SAM in pete's 4-3 under, a great SAM in Pete's 4-3 over, would excel like KJ as a Will in both sets, and could very easily look like Bobby in the Middle for both.

Queen, would look decent as a bandit nickle in pete's D. Other than that he doesn't fit the D at all.