Jordyn Brooks

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This team is loaded at LB, and he's learning from very experienced LB's. It's only gonna' make him better.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1ovex4z1 said:
I wouldn't necessarily say a "stable". We have Carson, Hyde, Penny, Homer and Dallas.

Hyde is the veteran, and Carson has lots of wear and tear already -- both will likely be gone after this season. Penny is on the PUp and out for the first 6 games, and he has all kinds of question marks. Homer is a good special teamer and maybe an occasional 3rd down guy, but certainly not a feature back. I was excited to see Dallas after all the hype, then he was inactive.

I think RB is very much a position of concern going forward. If there is anything that 2019 taught us, it's that you can't have too many good RBs. We had to bring back Marshawn Lynch just to get by.

Every year a position group or two gets inordinately hit by injuries. This year, everyone might stay healthy and Dallas never gets off the bench. You never know. It would be nice to be 4-5 deep everywhere, but that's not feasible.

We are set for this year and I think even if we lose Hyde and Carson next year, we can draft someone and pick up a journeyman to complement Penny, Homer and Dallas.

And we are letting Russ cook, so who needs RB's anyway?

Osprey

Reaction score
Rat":3djwwwx4 said:
Generally, I'm not a fan of round 1 RBs, but I thought CEH was special. It's frustrating when you pound the table for someone, and they get passed on and look like a star for another team.

Oh well, if they listened to me more, we'd have so many 7-9 seasons, people would think we were coached by Jeff Fisher.
CEH might be special in KC. One game where Houston put him 5th or 6th on their preparation list doesn’t tell us much.

In Seattle he doesn’t fit the RB profile and would probably be relegated to a few gadget plays. Pete is still Pete even if Russ is wearing a chef’s hat.

Rat

Reaction score
Osprey":3addbb1x said:
Rat":3addbb1x said:
Generally, I'm not a fan of round 1 RBs, but I thought CEH was special. It's frustrating when you pound the table for someone, and they get passed on and look like a star for another team.

Oh well, if they listened to me more, we'd have so many 7-9 seasons, people would think we were coached by Jeff Fisher.
CEH might be special in KC. One game where Houston put him 5th or 6th on their preparation list doesn’t tell us much.

In Seattle he doesn’t fit the RB profile and would probably be relegated to a few gadget plays. Pete is still Pete even if Russ is wearing a chef’s hat.

He's very compact, explosive, and excels in the pass game. I don't know how he wouldn't fit in here. He's more Maurice Jones-Drew than Darren Sproles.

I'm not calling him a HOFer based on one game, but early impressions havn't made me feel wrong in being very high on his potential.

Osprey

Reaction score
Rat":2aj5i91c said:
He's very compact, explosive, and excels in the pass game. I don't know how he wouldn't fit in here. He's more Maurice Jones-Drew than Darren Sproles.
Pete has a type (5’11” 220#) for his starting backs. There’s a little wiggle room in that, but not enough to get to 5’7” 205#. Don’t see how you justify using a R1 on a situational player at a position of relative strength.

I loved Taylor for the Hawks in this draft precisely because he fit the profile, but understand why they prioritized the way they did.

massari

Reaction score
Rat":1bif56b0 said:
Only been one game, but I really, really wanted Clyde Edwards-Helaire when that pick came up. Hopefully I'm proven wrong in the end. Wouldn't be the first time.

I wanted RT Isaiah Wilson :|

Isaiah Wilson

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Osprey":399lycqj said:
Rat":399lycqj said:
Pete has a type (5’11” 220#) for his starting backs. There’s a little wiggle room in that, but not enough to get to 5’7” 205#. Don’t see how you justify using a R1 on a situational player at a position of relative strength.

I loved Taylor for the Hawks in this draft precisely because he fit the profile, but understand why they prioritized the way they did.

Exactly. Our starting LB's are all over 30. Barton might fill in for one of them, but we needed another young stud LB to groom. BBK and Griffen are pretty much Heath Farwells.

Rat

Reaction score
Osprey":2b2xfrix said:
Rat":2b2xfrix said:

Is there really that much difference between 5’11” 220 and 5’7” 205? It’s basically the same build. Talent is talent.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":w7diyiuz said:
Osprey":w7diyiuz said:
Rat":w7diyiuz said:

Is there really that much difference between 5’11” 220 and 5’7” 205? It’s basically the same build. Talent is talent.

If your the 5'07 guy and not Spud Webb I bet you think there is.

sutz

Reaction score
Osprey":rhskp9t0 said:
Rat":rhskp9t0 said:

Those measurables for an RB is pretty much league wide. If you look around, the tallest RBs are maybe 6'0" or 6'1", seldom taller. They all tend to weigh in at 200-230#. I suspect it's really rare to get a guy outside that range who is strong enough and nimble enough to do the job. :229031_shrug:

toffee

Reaction score
If Brook and Collier could be productive this season, we might go places. So far Collier flashed just that little bit at the beginning of the game , then got handled? Brook still waiting for his. But just one game and both are basically rookies.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

sutz

Reaction score
Pete has always been willing to play rookies, probably more so than many other NFL coaches. But he very seldom puts the whole team on a rookie's back in a meaningful way. Russ Wilson is the exception here, buy hey, he's Russ Wilson.

Jordyn will get his reps moving forward, I'm sure.

Basis4day

Reaction score
This is not a normal start to a season by any stretch. There were no preseason games in which to evaluate players and test understanding of defensive schemes. There were a lot of substitutions.

Wagner played 79 snaps (100%) . Everyone else in the base/nickel/dime packages are in against each other for either extra rush help or nickel/dime coverage.

Adams was everywhere. And if your gonna let your safety roam like that you need to make sure everyone else knows exactly what they are doing. It's not shocking to me that a rookie like Brooks played so few snaps.

TLDR:

Game 1, uncharted preseason.

ttown0026

Reaction score
I don't mind the LB pick, I just thought Queen was the better LB on the board. He finished with 8 tackles, 1 sack and I believe 1 forced fumble for the Ravens week 1. It was interesting KJ was on the field only 55% of the snaps. The defensive scheme clearly has changed, which I am all for with so many passing teams these days.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Takes at least a couple years before you can just assume Queen will be better overall. Brooks will eventually get his reps and will contribute. No need to dwell on what other teams do, what the Hawks do is what matters.

Rat

Reaction score
ttown0026":2dj7ujzu said:
I don't mind the LB pick, I just thought Queen was the better LB on the board. He finished with 8 tackles, 1 sack and I believe 1 forced fumble for the Ravens week 1. It was interesting KJ was on the field only 55% of the snaps. The defensive scheme clearly has changed, which I am all for with so many passing teams these days.

Man, Queen looked like something special in the CFP. I can only hope that there has to be something REALLY special in Brooks to make that choice.

nanomoz

Reaction score
As the season goes on, I think you'll see Brooks spelling Bobby and KJ occasionally.

Ya, there's players I would have rather had on draft day, namely the Stanford running back. But let's not put Queen in the hall of fame just yet.

Latest posts