Jordyn Brooks

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ONE game. Same thing people tell other's when they get excited about a Hawks win or a player. And there are HUNDREDS of players who look special in College and do little to nothing in the NFL.
Why dwell over players on other teams just because the Hawks didn't take them? Just curious.

Rat

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ul1vl81 said:
It's ONE game. Same thing people tell other's when they get excited about a Hawks win or a player. And there are HUNDREDS of players who look special in College and do little to nothing in the NFL.
Why dwell over players on other teams just because the Hawks didn't take them? Just curious.

I find the analysis and prognosticating interesting. You can make an assessment off a limited sample size while still acknowledging that there is plenty of time for things to change.

HawkerD

Reaction score
AgentDib":bqa7m0y2 said:
Some around here go on about "first round picks" as if we've been drafting a lot of them in the top 10 or something or even the first round. If you consider draft position our results have been fine. Not exceptional, but way better than people here complain about.

#6 overall - Russell Okung. Very good selection, slightly marred by the falling out in relationship caused by Okung deciding to be his own agent. Could have been handled better by the FO with the benefit of hindsight but a good draft pick.

#25 overall - James Carpenter. Successful pick with a 39 CarAV, but it looks like the Hawks may have made a mistake trying to make him work at RT (potentially like Ifedi below).

#15 overall - Bruce Irvin. Successful pick with a 40 CarAV but expensive draft capital.

#62 overall - Christine Michael. We all saw his potential; he just couldn't stay healthy enough or get out of the doghouse long enough to contribute. Minor disappointment but reasonable for the range; of the 10 players drafted before him only two were successful (Eddie Lacy, Rob Alford).

#45 overall - Paul Richardson. Could have been better if not for the injuries but about average. He's had a better or similar career to 16 of his fellow second rounders from 2014, and a worse career than 16 of them.

#63 overall - Frank Clark. Clark started slow but has had a great career for his draft selection so far. The guy drafted six spots after him has had a better career, but that's Tyler Lockett and hardly an argument against our drafting capabilities.

#31 overall - Germain Ifedi. Definitely a disappointment given how much effort we put into making him work here, but he has a higher draft average value than all but 8 players from the first round of 2016. Fan favorites ahead of him (Robert Nkemdiche, Josh Garnett, Vernon Butler) have been bigger busts, and Ifedi is now starting at guard in Chicago. Depending on how he does there, the takeaway could be about our usage of him at RT rather than shifting him inside ourselves.

#35 overall - Malik McDowell. The only real bust on this list. I know some here have a problem keeping perspective about it, but minor character issues in college are simply not a strong predictor of having a career ending injury before playing an NFL snap. We've had success bringing in characters before (Lynch, Clark). Bad things happen sometimes and it's an error to try to assign blame to what is just randomness.

It's too early to conclude how Penny, Collier or Brooks will turn out. Naturally if they are busts then it will make our drafting look worse, but jumping to that conclusion right now is premature.

Say what ever you want. Not including Okung, The telling sign is that NONE of those players remained on the team beyond their rookie contract. That tells the story for me.

Own The West

Reaction score
Excuse me, has anyone seen a Jordyn Brooks thread around here?

I seemed to have stumbled into the 20-year long "who we should have drafted instead" thread.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
AgentDib":33994aei said:
Some around here go on about "first round picks" as if we've been drafting a lot of them in the top 10 or something or even the first round. If you consider draft position our results have been fine. Not exceptional, but way better than people here complain about.

#6 overall - Russell Okung. Very good selection, slightly marred by the falling out in relationship caused by Okung deciding to be his own agent. Could have been handled better by the FO with the benefit of hindsight but a good draft pick.

#25 overall - James Carpenter. Successful pick with a 39 CarAV, but it looks like the Hawks may have made a mistake trying to make him work at RT (potentially like Ifedi below).

#15 overall - Bruce Irvin. Successful pick with a 40 CarAV but expensive draft capital.

#62 overall - Christine Michael. We all saw his potential; he just couldn't stay healthy enough or get out of the doghouse long enough to contribute. Minor disappointment but reasonable for the range; of the 10 players drafted before him only two were successful (Eddie Lacy, Rob Alford).

#45 overall - Paul Richardson. Could have been better if not for the injuries but about average. He's had a better or similar career to 16 of his fellow second rounders from 2014, and a worse career than 16 of them.

#63 overall - Frank Clark. Clark started slow but has had a great career for his draft selection so far. The guy drafted six spots after him has had a better career, but that's Tyler Lockett and hardly an argument against our drafting capabilities.

#31 overall - Germain Ifedi. Definitely a disappointment given how much effort we put into making him work here, but he has a higher draft average value than all but 8 players from the first round of 2016. Fan favorites ahead of him (Robert Nkemdiche, Josh Garnett, Vernon Butler) have been bigger busts, and Ifedi is now starting at guard in Chicago. Depending on how he does there, the takeaway could be about our usage of him at RT rather than shifting him inside ourselves.

#35 overall - Malik McDowell. The only real bust on this list. I know some here have a problem keeping perspective about it, but minor character issues in college are simply not a strong predictor of having a career ending injury before playing an NFL snap. We've had success bringing in characters before (Lynch, Clark). Bad things happen sometimes and it's an error to try to assign blame to what is just randomness.

It's too early to conclude how Penny, Collier or Brooks will turn out. Naturally if they are busts then it will make our drafting look worse, but jumping to that conclusion right now is premature.

This is good analysis. The problem with the draft, which Pete and John are completely aware of, Is that there are very few high end all world players in the first round. As fans, we automatically think that any player picked by our team in the first round should be an all pro right out of the gate. The Seahawks currently have three such players; Wilson, Wagner and Adams. Without doing a league wide analysis of every team, I would guess that 3-4 all pro difference makers is probably about what the best teams have.

Chuck Knox used to call them impact players. He called Curt Warner one after drafting him in ‘83. He was correct. Any draft has maybe a handful of impact type players, possibly 20-30 good players and then just a bunch of jags at the bottom third of rosters that get recycled And replaced every year.

Jordyn Brooks has some pretty good players ahead of him. Let’s be patient and not go off the rails whenever a draft pick doesn’t measure up to our expectations.

PNW

Reaction score
Brooks will be fine, he’s learning from the best in the biz, looking forward to watching him, Blair, Collier grow into better players.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Own The West":1dy3ox9u said:
Excuse me, has anyone seen a Jordyn Brooks thread around here?

I seemed to have stumbled into the 20-year long "who we should have drafted instead" thread.

Some people would rather suck and be right instead of good and be wrong.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
We probably have a good chance of seeing a lot more of Brooks this week. Stack the box more and make Cam beat us with his arm.

I think we didn't Brooks a lot because the amount of Nickle we played and getting extra help from Blair or Jamal at the line helps.

Could be wrong wonder if someone else noted anything else.

olyfan63

Reaction score
AgentDib":urf91t9i said:
-snip-
-snip-
Generally love all your posts, first time I've really disagreed with you on something. The Seahawks have sorted out what appears to some to be "randomness" in those situations and learned from it.

Schneider has said that they changed their drafting approach after McDowell, to observe "minimums" in certain areas. Comparing these three, McDowell, Clark, Lynch is total apples and oranges. I recall sticking up vehemently for Clark when the PC crowd here was ready to convict him on questionable DV allegations that clearly involved a psychobitch. Also, with Clark, in college, there were NEVER any questions about his practice work ethic, commitment to the team, and interactions as a teammate. Hell, Clark bitch-slapped or sucker punched Germain Ifedi I think it was, as a Seahawk, and I'm sure that Ifedi totally deserved it and it was a net positive for the TEAM. Lynch was a different beast altogether, but Pete had enough data to make the bet, and Lynch had been a solid pro in his time with Buffalo.

McDowell was dumb as a box of rocks, entitled, and simply not a good candidate for the demands of the NFL, where players actually need to be *smart*. I don't recall that JS ever elaborated on the specific criteria changes the Hawks made based on the McDowell saga, but I'd bet it involved avoiding players below minimum "smarts" who also have an evident Cluster B personality disorder, NPD, BPD, along with a degree of sociopathy above a certain level. They also learned from the Percy Harvin fiasco; as I've noted before, Harvin's complete history, and his behavior as a Seahawk checks a whole lot of boxes for BPD with a high degree of sociopathy.

Frank Clark: Smart, strong work ethic, high motor, good teammate, committed to the team. Seahawks parsed through his history, got it right, and made a smart bet. I think they used the overall learning from the Harvin experience to realize that the Cluster B sociopath involved in the Clark situation was NOT Clark himself, but rather his girlfriend at the time.

Honestly, it's hard to tell sometimes, which person in a messed-up situation is the (lmore) CRAZY one, when there are accusations and counter-accusations. Percy Harvin, or Golden Tate? Harvin. Brad, or Angelina? Angelina. Greg Hardy, or his gold-digger GF? BOTH!! Steve McNair, or his murderer, Sahel "Jenni" Kazemi? Kazemi. The Seahawks have gotten better at figuring this stuff out up front, but they missed on McDowell, and learned from the experience.

In general, I love the Seahawks overall draft process, and the way they have learned to factor character (e.g., ability to overcome setbacks, family influences, etc.) into their process. Tyler Lockett? YEAH BABY!! DK Metcalf? YEAH BABY!! again. I think we'll also be saying YEAH BABY!! in a couple years to Jordyn Brooks, LJ Collier, Darrell Taylor, Damien Lewis, Colby Parkinson, and several more, with a special YEAH BABY!! for Will Dissly, by then with two mostly-healthy seasons behind him. 2020 in hindsight will be looked at as a terrific draft, for the top 4, and maybe a couple more.

[youtube]00w1HGqyxTM[/youtube]

Tamerlane

Reaction score
According to several credible news reports, if the Ravens had their way in the draft, they would have taken Brooks leaving Patrick Queen to Seattle. Fortunately, PCJS got the guy they (and others) wanted most and the guy who is the better fit. In time - quite a bit of time - we'll see who the better player is.

Check out Matty Brown's several part video study if you want to see what kind of unlimited potential this guy offers in every dimension of the game, from run defense and coverage to blitzing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
AgentDib":2jmz7syq said:

Excellent post. A lot of draft evaluate believe that "1st round talent" tapers off about pick 20 - 25, and I tend to agree with them. That's e why John trades back, or out of the 1st Round so often.I

We couldn't afford to keep Frank Clark. And while I love Clyde Edwards-Hellaire, Jordyn Brooks was the better choice for us with Kyler Murray running all over the place. We needed a fast linebacker who was a sure tackler.

We can't judge Malik McDowell pick because a career ending 4 wheeler accident is tough to predict.

I think most people saw Ifedi as an early round 2 pick. They reached a bit on him, but we need Olinemen.I

John misjudged the DE / DT market in the 2019 draft and we ended up with Collier, who again, we reached on, but he will be a great player.

And didn't we get a comp pick for PRich?

So there were some miscues, but nothing that I would define as a major blunder. The Draft is a trap shoot.