Julio Jones won't win us a Super Bowl

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I agree with many on here. No we dont need Julio. Would be nice to have, but I'm tired of halting the progress of our younger players. Did we have superstar wr when we won the SB? No, but the league found out who those recievers were in years to follow. It has been the same problem it has always been. The defense since kam got injured, no one to pair with sherman at cb, and everybody falling out. Whether people like it or not we still don't get blown out in games. Exception to rams playoff win last year. We are typically in the game every game minus a few defense miscues. Ie shaq not covering his reciever going across the middle for a wide open td against the rams.

Yes playcalling could be better. Overall philosophy has to be better. More willing to take the win route instead of sticking to the guns. But the problem is...since we lost are amazing defense(combo of high pressure rate mixed with amazing pass coverage) we have not been the same. It's hard to make up scores or come back when the defense is allowing offenses to walk down the field. Even with Russ.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
SuperBowl or nothing is a weird way to set expectations.

Since we haven't won a single divisional playoff game since the SB loss, and in fact have been boatraced in most of them by halftime (last year we were lucky because the other QB was in a wheelchair but we still lost), just winning THAT game and then not being outright embarrassed in a conference playoff game would be an incredible accomplishment.

Trading for Julio to accomplish that would be worth it.

The problem isn't whether Julio COULD be the piece to get us to the SB or at least not have the same pathetic outcome of every divisional playoff game we've played in since the SB loss. The problem is whether he would be given a chance to.

I don't think Carroll would competently use him, just like he did with Graham.

If anything he would be that 'break glass in case of emergencies' option we trot out after futzing away most of the game 'trusting in our defense and run game'. (One of the reasons the last thing I want is a shutdown corner, because then Carroll would go back to that godawful version of football he subjected us to years where we barely averaged a single TD in a half and usually went into the 4th quarter behind.)

Julio might be older but he is still an incredible player.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mkhmuhc1 said:
pmedic920":mkhmuhc1 said:
The “point” of this thread is unclear to me, having said that.....

“The window has closed” is an opinion, it’s not a fact.

We have a better chance of winning the super bowl this year than most teams.
My guess would be better than at least 24 others.
I suspect that Vegas will back up my guess.

Edit:
And I have absolutely no clue what current odds are.

If you want to look at it this way, I'd say adding Jones only slightly opens the window more than it already is with the current offensive roster personnel.

And certainly doesn't warrant taking a 15M hit, giving up yet another high draft pick AND having to move cap money around to fit him under it......which would probably mean restructuring both Bobby and Russell's contracts, which gives you less cap leverage next year should you decide to move on from either.

Now if Atlanta's willing to take a 3rd and pay a lot of Jone's salary for 2021 like we did with Clowney? Sure, I'm all ears.

But all the reports are that's not what Atlanta's willing to do, they know someone will take on the entire salary AND give them a high pick.

Every day that goes by with no trade deal their trade demands are going to keep falling. First it was a 1st and take all his salary. Then it was a second and could you please take all of his salary as well. Now with no cap room they can't sign their draft picks and mandatory training sessions are just around the corner. I could see a deal with Atlanta having to eat most of his salary and what will probably be a low 2nd or possibly even a 3rd. Atlanta is loosing leverage as we speak.

I personally would rather use our cap room and maybe a future draft pick for a really good quality Center or DT to help our lines out. But who knows what the FO thinks at this point.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I have all manner of respect for the guy unfortunately we cannot afford him and even if we could he's not the right fit. We have some very good receivers already. If we had that kind of capital I'd think that it would make the most sense to use it on both lines?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Obviously you need better weed, it has to suck to be this negative 24/7

Seahawker86

Reaction score
I disagree with the OG poster.

I don't think people will appreciate our new OC and run game coordinators until they see our new offense on the field. If Jared Goff can take that offense to a SB then you have to imagine what we will be able to do. We have better Receivers, a better RB, THEIR TE, and not to mention a top tier QB.

Adding Julio could and probably would put us over the top. Remember, Julio has had a major declining Matt Ryan throwing him the ball recently. A team that since their OC left to coach the 9ers, can't seem to find their identity on offense especially in the redzone.

Julio doesn't have to be the #1 receiver on this team. He's more of a 2a/2b for us.

That being said...I really like this WR we drafted. I think he has all the makings to be a big playmaker in this league. Adding Julio would only stunt his development.

I could go either way with trading for Julio. I won't be mad if we didn't get him or we did. I just don't want him going to our division or the Packers either.

xray

Reaction score
The receivers room is stacked IMO. Don't fix things that aren't broke . Both lines won't win us a SB . Work on them 1st please .

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Prioritizing the DL does very little for us.

We have to address the OL, not sure we have the coaching acumen to do this. Finding great OL does not seem to be a skillset we have or maybe just do not value. We seem to value versatility over ability to play a position well.

Either way, this team will not win by getting better defensive players. Making our defense better isn't going to work or win us anything. Because better players won't fix the real problem...our DC.

This team has to win by outscoring the other team. And that probably isn't something Carroll will ever accept. We will see how that works since it sounds like Wilson already gave him an ultimatum. Maybe adding Julio helps us keep Wilson? If that is true, Julio would be worth it immediately.

If there is a move that works to help us outscore the other team, this is one. If there is a player move that gives us a best chance, this is one of the best we can make. But more importantly, keeping Julio out of the hands of rivals is just as important.

If the 49ers get Julio, it is over for us. If the Packers get him, in some hail mary move to placate Rogers, we could never get past them. In our own division, we already rarely beat the Rams but for a few razor-thin wins in the regular season which won't happen in the playoffs.

Not being able to beat the 49ers and Rams in our own division would mean very little chance at a playoff shot.

toffee

Reaction score
Would signing Julio make enough of a difference to win a Superbowl? Probably not. The question should be: Would signing any one player guarantees a superbowl? Probably not.

Out team have holes on roster, no one single player can change the landscape.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3fkphn7o said:

We have to address the OL, not sure we have the coaching acumen to do this. Finding great OL does not seem to be a skillset we have or maybe just do not value. We seem to value versatility over ability to play a position well.

Either way, this team will not win by getting better defensive players. Making our defense better isn't going to work or win us anything. Because better players won't fix the real problem...our DC.

This team has to win by outscoring the other team. And that probably isn't something Carroll will ever accept. We will see how that works since it sounds like Wilson already gave him an ultimatum. Maybe adding Julio helps us keep Wilson? If that is true, Julio would be worth it immediately.

If there is a move that works to help us outscore the other team, this is one. If there is a player move that gives us a best chance, this is one of the best we can make. But more importantly, keeping Julio out of the hands of rivals is just as important.

If the 49ers get Julio, it is over for us. If the Packers get him, in some hail mary move to placate Rogers, we could never get past them. In our own division, we already rarely beat the Rams but for a few razor-thin wins in the regular season which won't happen in the playoffs.

Not being able to beat the 49ers and Rams in our own division would mean very little chance at a playoff shot.

So a 15 million a year pacifier for Wilson that is in a injury situation and at the tail end of his career. We should also go after Chubbs if he wants him to I guess when he throws a tantrum. Once you give that power to him you can't take it back very well.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1f4cryv5 said:

Which recent moves suggest an inability to improve the offense line, and more specifically, which recent moves show a predisposition to target only versatile linemen?

Wartooth

Reaction score
Offense was pretty damned good the first half of last season...
Defense was pretty damned sad!
Offense was figured out, and became unproductive the second half of last season...
And the defense started playing a lot better!
If they ever play as a complete team, all of them playing well at the same time...
They have just as good a chance as every other team of going to the Owl next year!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Wartooth":1khdltph said:
Offense was pretty damned good the first half of last season...
Defense was pretty damned sad!
Offense was figured out, and became unproductive the second half of last season...
And the defense started playing a lot better!
If they ever play as a complete team, all of them playing well at the same time...
They have just as good a chance as every other team of going to the Owl next year!

The main issue was miscommunication in the secondary, it seemed. It got tightened up, and I think the defense is probably a mid-pack type of defense in terms of where they should be.

They stand to have a much easier job if the team can start sustaining drives on offense. The defense was on the field too much last season due to horrendous conversion rates by the offense, especially in the second half of the year.

hawker84

Reaction score
Starts in the trenches. You could bring on Jerry Rice in his prime with Walter Payton in the backfield and he wouldn't matter if your QB is running for his life every play.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Seahawks vs. Titans in the Super Bowl. Seahawks up by 5 with 3 seconds left.... Jones drops the last second throw in the end zone.

There, Jones won us the Super Bowl. Original Post BLOWN UP.

Latest posts