Just another bust ?

xray

Reaction score
Kyler Murray's career record is 28-36-1 . I think most NFL fans , especially AZ fans , expected much better from a Heisman Trophy winning #1 draft pick . He has turned out to be another highly regarded " flash in the pan " QB . There have been so many of these disappointing 1st round drafted QBs over the years that it's hard to count . It's almost guaranteed that one of more of the QBs taken in the 1st round this year will suck . Which drafted QB busts stand out to you the most ?

WarHawks

Reaction score
Mirer. The sweet spot for qb's seems to be picks 4-12.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Kyler Murray's career record is 28-36-1 . I think most NFL fans , especially AZ fans , expected much better from a Heisman Trophy winning #1 draft pick . He has turned out to be another highly regarded " flash in the pan " QB . There have been so many of these disappointing 1st round drafted QBs over the years that it's hard to count . It's almost guaranteed that one of more of the QBs taken in the 1st round this year will suck . Which drafted QB busts stand out to you the most ?
For us, Rick Mirer was by far the biggest. Dan McGuire and Kelly Stouffer get honorable mentions, Clipboard Jesus for our biggest 21st century bust.

Other notable busts include Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Akili Smith, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, Matt Leinart, and Vince Young are some of the more recent. But you can go all the way back to Terry Baker, Gary Beban, Art Schliester, and Jeff George, blasts from the past.

The list is endless.

sutz

Reaction score
Always a big problem when a QB gets drafted high by a team that sucks and people expect him to save the franchise. QBs are over-valued.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
For us, Rick Mirer was by far the biggest. Dan McGuire and Kelly Stouffer get honorable mentions, Clipboard Jesus for our biggest 21st century bust.

Other notable busts include Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Akili Smith, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, Matt Leinart, and Vince Young are some of the more recent. But you can go all the way back to Terry Baker, Gary Beban, Art Schliester, and Jeff George, blasts from the past.

The list is endless.
Hey, don’t forget my Bears. We have Grossman, McNown, Trubisky. No wonder we’re nervous about Caleb Williams.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Duh Bears should get honorable double-mention in this thread after trading for Mirer as well.
Yeah, I was going to footnote my putting Mirer on the list as at least we got some good compensation for him. You can't say that about Stouffer and McGuire.

One of the things about McGuire that will always stick in my craw is that he was drafted at the insistence of our owner. The head coach instead wanted to draft a QB by the name of Bret Favre.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Kyler Murray was an obvious bust though. ZERO leadership skills, worst body language ever. terrible field presence. He's awful.
In 4 seasons Murray had 1 playoff appearance ; with a passer rating of 40.9 with 137 yds and 2 interceptions in a 34-11 loss to the Rams . He actually looked like he was gonna cry in that game . So much for a supposed QB prodigy . These high pick QBs can't be trusted . imo

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to footnote my putting Mirer on the list as at least we got some good compensation for him. You can't say that about Stouffer and McGuire.

One of the things about McGuire that will always stick in my craw is that he was drafted at the insistence of our owner. The head coach instead wanted to draft a QB by the name of Bret Favre.
Yep and he would have turned Knox's hair Green lol, Favre was everything Knox would have hated as a personality at QB, Gunslinger, unscripted, combative with Coaches. He had his hands full with Krieg not to mention his LA QB's and Hollywood which galled him. He was happy with the Jim Everett type, plain Jane no headlines to speak of etc just do what I say.

Maulbert

Reaction score

The list is endless.
No mention of Trey Lance?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It's hard to put Grossman on that list as you guys made it to a Super Bowl with him at QB.
It’s easy for Bears fans. Urlacher and the defense carried that team. I just checked his Super Bowl stats. 165 yards and 2 interceptions.

halps80

Reaction score

The list is endless.
All great examples, but I’d argue Whitehurst doesn’t deserve a big-time bust label. He was a third round pick by SD and we gave up a 3rd to acquire him, hoping he’d show more upside but not counting on him to be our QBOTF.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
In 4 seasons Murray had 1 playoff appearance ; with a passer rating of 40.9 with 137 yds and 2 interceptions in a 34-11 loss to the Rams . He actually looked like he was gonna cry in that game . So much for a supposed QB prodigy . These high pick QBs can't be trusted . imo
but all that stuff was right there for even guys like me to see is my point. How you don't see that as a scout, coach or GM is a mystery.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Hey, don’t forget my Bears. We have Grossman, McNown, Trubisky. No wonder we’re nervous about Caleb Williams.

Why go as far back in history as Trubisky?

How 'bout Fields?

OK, after saying that, I want you to know I'm not a Bears hater.

I really enjoyed watching the '85 Bears team and the utter thrashing it gave the Patriots in the Super Bowl following that season. I also saw a lot of Bears games on TV when I went to Chicago for college. My mom was an NFL fan since long before I was even conceived, and at some point about a decade ago when she wanted a "bucket hat" for when she was outside gardening, and I asked which NFL team's logo she would want on it, she told me her "sentimental favorite" was the Bears. And as a college student in Chicago in early '91, I greatly enjoyed the "Bill Swerski Superfans" sketches on Saturday Night Live, in which there were frequent mentions of a certain team from a certain midwestern city...

In the 1960s, some time before I was conceived, my not-yet parents disagreed about something that happened in a game they saw on TV. My mom wrote to George Halas to ask him about it. Halas wrote back, and my mom's interpretation had been right. She left the letter from Halas where she knew my dad would see it, but she didn't say anything about it. My dad didn't say anything about it either, but the next day he had bought a frame, framed the letter, and left it where he knew my mom would find it.