Just another bust ?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Look at Alex Smith. He was a #1 pick who was called a bust for years. He turned it around and had a real solid career. Def. NOT a bust, even if it seemed like it at first. I just have zero faith that Cryler will ever be a top tier QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Bryce Young hasn't exactly been stellar and next line for being a bust is Caleb Williams. I don't think that Caleb is the best QB in the draft. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.
I'm not impressed by him either from the little I've seen.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
What about Lamar? Reg season champ..playoff dud...not really the definition of a bust but can't win in big games.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
What about Lamar? Reg season champ..playoff dud...not really the definition of a bust but can't win in big games.
Josh Allen is the same . Jim Kelly clones .

RiverDog

Reaction score
Exactly. Look at Alex Smith. He was a #1 pick who was called a bust for years. He turned it around and had a real solid career. Def. NOT a bust, even if it seemed like it at first. I just have zero faith that Cryler will ever be a top tier QB.
Going way back, Jim Plunkett was considered a bust in the first half of his career. Drafted #1 overall, in his second season, Plunkett threw 8 TD's and 25 INT's. In his first 7 seasons, he had a sub 50% completion percentage and his teams never had a winning record. But after he got to the Raiders, he took them to two SB's, winning one and was a SB MVP. He wasn't HOF good, but not a bust, either.

But as others have pointed out, to this point of his career, Kyler Murray is...well, let's just say that he has yet to live up to his billing.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
For us, Rick Mirer was by far the biggest. Dan McGuire and Kelly Stouffer get honorable mentions, Clipboard Jesus for our biggest 21st century bust.

Other notable busts include Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Akili Smith, Johnny Manziel, Jamarcus Russell, Tim Couch, David Carr, Matt Leinart, and Vince Young are some of the more recent. But you can go all the way back to Terry Baker, Gary Beban, Art Schliester, and Jeff George, blasts from the past.

The list is endless.
Time Tebow will forever have a place in my heart for beating the Squeelers in overtime in the playoffs. He got that one perfect pass in right when it mattered and put the dagger in their hearts. *chef's kiss*

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Time Tebow will forever have a place in my heart for beating the Squeelers in overtime in the playoffs. He got that one perfect pass in right when it mattered and put the dagger in their hearts. *chef's kiss*
The Broncos won in spite of Tebow, never due to him. His completion percentage for the two playoff games he played in was 40.4%.

Heck, we could devote a 30-page thread to Bronco QB's who were busts. That place is a graveyard for quarterbacks.

RiverDog

Reaction score
And one of the best college QB's of all time (Tebow). College often doesn't equate to how well a guy does in the NFL.
Yep.

And there were a lot of pundits who correctly predicted that he'd fail, mainly due to his long wind-up delivery. I was stunned when the Broncos not only took him in the first round but traded up to get him. Just one more example of the Broncos total ineptness when it comes to quarterbacks.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Great guy and athlete, but his throws in the NFL, painfully bad.
I'm sure he was a nice guy, but I got sick and tired of him throwing his religion around. I used to listen to a lot of sports talk during the football season, and in those two years with Denver when he was a hot topic, Tebow was constantly on the radio pumping his religion, to the point where if you tuned in during the middle of the program, you wouldn't know that it was a football discussion.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, not all of us are believers, often it would be nice if people didn't push it on others. Not to get into it, but I highly doubt that Sky Daddy gives a rip about football.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yeah, not all of us are believers, often it would be nice if people didn't push it on others. Not to get into it, but I highly doubt that Sky Daddy gives a rip about football.
Hehe. Not according to TT. He started a TD celebration trend: Tebowing.

During that period of time, ESPN was getting awfully close to advocating a specific religion by allowing Tebow to talk about his the way he did. Not that I think it should have been banned as it's part of free speech. But if I were a network exec, I'd sure have had qualms about it, simply out of respect for the employees, many of whom don't share those beliefs.

I was a line supervisor for 40 years, and I learned the hard way that it's best to, at least in public, avoid discussing the three taboo subjects our dads told us not to talk about on a first date: Sex, religion, and politics. It makes some of your subordinates feel like you might not be approachable, makes them afraid of you.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Anytime you have to add in a contractual addendum to ensure your signal caller and $230M leader takes the time to look at film 4 hours a week (that's 34 minutes a day) because you are worried he is unable or unwilling to do so on his own accord, you probably don't have much of a competitor.

"The addendum also states that Murray will not get credit if he's not studying or watching the material while it plays on his tablet or if he's doing something that can distract him or draw his attention elsewhere while the material is playing, such as playing video games, watching TV or browsing the internet."

Latest posts